Richard H. Wells Award
Classified Staff Advisory Council Richard H. Wells Star Award celebrates the character, passion, and commitment of non-classified faculty and staff who have supported the advancement of UW Oshkosh Classified Staff. This award is named after Chancellor Wells because he was so instrumental in giving the classified staff a voice on campus.
The award was established by the Awards and Recognition Committee of the Classified Staff Advisory Council (CSAC) in 2009. The award recognizes outstanding contributions to the classified staff by faculty and staff who do not fall under the classified status definition.
The STAR Awards are typically reserved for Classified Staff employees only; however, the Awards and Recognition Committee and CSAC recognize the special bond that is shared among all members of the UW Oshkosh community.
The first special STAR Award was given to Chancellor Richard H. Wells on September 2, 2008. Chancellor Wells received the Star Award in recognition of the many initiatives he spearheaded at UW Oshkosh specifically for classified (represented, non-represented, limited term and project appointment) employees. Chancellor Wells graciously accepted the Star Award at the opening day ceremonies saying, “This means more to me than any other professional award I have received.”
The Outstanding Performance Awards, Star Awards and the Classified Staff and Development Day (CSDAD) were implemented at UW Oshkosh in summer 2001 through the collaborative efforts of the Chancellor and Classified Staff. These recognitions have become a model for campuses around the State of Wisconsin and could not have been accomplished without the dedication and support of Chancellor Wells.
- Any current faculty, instructional academic staff and non-instructional academic staff who are at least .50% FTE and have worked at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh for at least 6 months are eligible for the award.
- Or any former faculty, instructional academic staff and non-instructional academic staff who were at least .50% FTE, worked at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh for at least 6 months, and are currently involved with University Staff, are eligible for the award.
- Not received the award in the last 36 months.
Individuals who have:
- Contributed by way of day-to-day activities performed in such a manner that have significantly demonstrated positive benefits or support for the UW Oshkosh Classified Staff.
- Regularly exemplified professionalism in their working relationships and contacts with Classified Staff.
- Shown honest commitment to the personal growth and advancement of the goals and objectives of the UW Oshkosh Classified Staff.
The award will recognize an individual for contributions made inside and/or outside the University community to advance and support the Classified Staff at UW Oshkosh. The intent is to preserve the spirit in which the award was originally presented.
There will be a nomination form available online. Nominations will not be actively sought. Candidates will not be required to provide letters of support or portfolios.
- Selection Committee
The Awards and Recognition Committee as appointed by the Classified Staff Advisory Council
- The committee chair will confirm eligibility. The nominator will be notified if the employee is ineligible.
- Once the nomination is confirmed eligible, it is distributed to committee members.
- The person will be determined by the Committee.
- The nominator will be notified of the Committee’s decision.
- Nominations will not remain on file for future consideration.
- A framed certificate signed by the Chancellor and the co-chairs of the Awards Committee
- A commemorative gold star pin
- A plate engraved with the winner’s name, month and year of win placed on a plaque that is hung in the Administrative Building
- A picture of the winner and nomination information posted on the CSAC website and in UW Oshkosh Today.
When an award is given, the chair(s) of the Awards Committee will arrange a presentation.