We hope that as UW Oshkosh continues its effort in becoming a more sustainable higher education institution, you will make a conscious effort to do the same. Here are quick tips on what YOU can do:
- Tune in and turn off! Turn off lights and computers when not in use and convince your friends to do the same.
- Check appliances, such as computers, that continue to use electricity even when turned off. Switch off the power bar you are using or unplug the computer.
- When we are having cold Wisconsin weather, wear warm clothing rather than turn up the heat.
- Get to know where the recycling containers are on campus.
- Recycle paper, cans, and bottles.
- Be careful that the cans and bottles are empty -- one can with liquid in it contaminates the entire contents.
- Ask a friend to recycle.
- Stop the Drop! Turn off faucets when you are not using them.
- Take showers instead of baths, and take shorter showers.
- There is no "away." Don't pour oil or other liquids into storm drains -- they end up in our water.
- Purchase Fair Trade coffee, chocolate, and other products.
- Eat more organic food.
- Support local farmers by purchasing food at farmers markets or directly from the farm.
- Purchase meat and chicken that have been raised in a certified humane way.
- Forget the car. Bike, walk or take the bus!
- If you buy a car, look for those with the highest gas mileage and the least polluting.
- When you buy paper, try to find a kind with 100% post-consumer content.
- Buy eco-friendly cleaners.