Honors Interdisciplinary Seminar (IDS 175)
"I AM THAT
*Please note: The schedule given here is tentative and the activities and assignments are subject to change. Also note the specific due dates for the section assessments.
IDS-175 section 004 will meet with Steve Szydlik in Clow 109 from the final hour of week 1 (September 14) through the second hour of week 7.
IDS-175 section 005 will meet with Steve Szydlik in Clow 109 from the final hour of week 7 (October 26) through the second hour of week 13.
Both sections of IDS-175 will meet in Clow 23 during the first two hours of week 1, during the last hour of week 13 and for the entire three hours of week 14.
Link to the Schedule for weeks 1-6 (Section 004)
Week 7 (10/26): Section Exam and Section Interchange
- Review for Section Exam
- Section Exam
Section 004 and Section 005 switch sessions following Section Exam
- Final Hour: Introduction to 2nd Session
Section 004: See Professor Henson's Page
Section 005: In Class Activity: An introduction to axiom systems: The town of Hilbert (handout)
Assignment due November 2
Week 8 (11/2): Euclid and Axiom Systems
- Euclid's Elements and axiom systems
- Presentations on Euclidean Propositions
- In Class Activity: Straightedge/Compass Constructions and Area Formulas (handouts)
Assignment due November 9
Week 9 (11/9): The Mathematical Process
- Pythagorean Theorem presentations
- The Proof (video) and discussion
Assignment due November 16
Week 10 (11/16): Mathematics and Undecidability
- Discussion: "On the Nature of Mathematical Truth"
- Godel and incompleteness
- In Class Activity: Euler's formula
Assignment due November 23
Week 11 (11/23): What is mathematical truth?
- Discussion: Lakatos and mathematical fallibility
- Proof that all triangles are isosceles
- Problems with Euclid
Assignment due November 30
Week 12 (11/30): Infinity
- Discussion: Cantor and the Transfinite Realm
- Begin Section Exam Review
Assignment due December 7
Week 13 (12/7): Section Exam; Final Project Preparation
- Section Exam
- Final Project Preparation
- Assignment: Final Projects Due, 12/14
Week 14 (12/14): Combined Session: Final Projects & Course Review
- Combined Session: Final Projects