Basic Fire Science Program
Join us June 21 - 24, 2015!
Young men and women ages 15–20 with any level of experience are invited to participate in this unique summer program!
Participants are set up into teams throughout the program experience. Teams consist of engine companies, battalions, ladder companies and rescue units. All activities are taught by professional firefighters, and participants will have abundant opportunities to network and connect with fire and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) professionals throughout the experience.
The program includes:
- Basic water rescue
- Career planning and preparation
- Field activities, such as how to handle ladders, hoses, fire extinguishers,
- Self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Introduction to the fire service and emergency medical service, with
- Hands-on basic activities
- Meals and networking opportunities with fire department personnel
- Mentorship and hands-on activities provided by professional firefighters
- Opportunities for teamwork, problem-solving and leadership development
- Participation in a team challenge program
- Introduction to wildland firefighting
- Tours of local fire departments and fire-related manufacturing companies
Participants will gain knowledge about careers in fire and emergency response services; develop leadership, problem-solving and team-building skills; and become better prepared in emergency management.