Shop Safety Rules
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN - OSHKOSH THEATRE SHOP SAFETY RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following should be considered as guidelines for working in the Theatre Shop areas. They have been written and are enforced for your safety, and as such should be followed at all times. If you have any questions regarding the safe operation of any tool or method of construction, please feel free to ask the Faculty or Staff. You are responsible to know and understand all of the following:
1. All persons working in the shops shall be properly attired. This includes long pants and close-toe shoes. Hard-sole shoes should be worn if possible since gym shoes do not afford sufficient sole and toe protection. At no time will anyone wearing a dress, shorts, or sandals be allowed to work in the shop areas as none of these garments give sufficient protection to the wearer. Also, long hair is to be tied back to avoid any chance of getting it caught in moving machinery.
2. The Scene Shop is an eye protection area and safety glasses are required whenever entering this space. In general, when operating any power tool, safety glasses are to be worn. Also when participating in any amount abrasive sanding or spray painting, respirators are also to be used in addition to safety glasses. Ear protection is available to all students and staff in the shop areas at all times. It is up to the student or staff members to determine when this protection is necessary.
3. Every attempt should be made to keep your work area clean and organized. This means periodically sweeping up excessive waste and returning unnecessary tools to their proper places.
4. There is to be NO SMOKING IN THE SHOP AREAS. No soft drinks or food are permitted in the shop areas .
5. No person shall work in the shops while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Prescribed drugs which could cause drowsiness, lightheadedness, or disorientation should also not be used. Any student using such prescribed medications should notify both the Faculty and Staff in charge. Any person removed from the shops for the above reason shall not be allowed to return unless authorized by the Faculty.
6. Any time that you have a problem with any tool or machine, bring it to the attention of the Staff so they may assist you. Never attempt to repair or adjust any machines. If a machine or tool is accidentally damaged, bring it to the attention of the Staff. Please do not try to hide or cover up any damages.
- 7. At no time shall any student operate or attempt to operate any of the following pieces of equipment without permission of the staff.
- a) Table Saw
- b) Radial Arm Saw
- c) Circular Saw
- d) Band Saw
- e) Sabre Saw
- f) Drill Press
- g) Any pneumatic power tool
8. Before operating any power tools, make sure all allen wrenches, chuck keys or other foreign materials are clear of the machine's work area.
9. Dangling necklaces or large rings, long loose scarves or loose sleeves should not be worn in the shop as they may become entangled in moving machinery.
10. Always make sure that all power tools are turned off and the electrical power disconnected before leaving the machine. Never leave an unattended machine running, even for "one second".
11. Always unplug or disconnect from power all power tools before changing blades, bits, or attachments.
12. IF YOU DON'T KNOW - ASK! There is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb mistakes and injuries.