Select Page

Transfer Credit Policies

It is the policy of UW-Oshkosh to accept transfer credits in full compliance with the UW System Board of Regents Transfer Credit Policy.  Some of the basic components of that policy are:

  • The college or university attended must be accredited by an appropriate accreditation association. Credit is generally awarded for college-level coursework completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country.
  • All courses from a baccalaureate granting institution that is not regionally accredited may be eligible for transfer review by an appropriate UW Oshkosh Department Chair, or if an equivalent department is nonexistent, by an appropriate UW Oshkosh Academic Dean.
  • Whenever possible, transfer courses are equated to UW Oshkosh course numbers for equivalent courses.  If there is an equivalent department, but not equivalent course, elective credit associated with the department will be granted.  In such instances, the UW Oshkosh department will be consulted to make a determination whether the transfer elective might be counted toward the major or minor requirements.
  • A course designated as fulfilling a general education/breadth requirement at one UW institution should transfer as general education/breadth at the receiving UW institution.  This principle should apply whether or not the receiving institution has a direct course equivalent.


Academic Policies of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh

  • Courses must be similar in nature, level, and content to a course in our undergraduate curriculum and applicable to one of our academic programs. Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, and courses that are remedial, technical, vocational, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable.
  • Students who take college courses prior to high school graduation (this includes dual enrollment) will receive credit at UW Oshkosh as long as the credit is: 1) transferable, 2) earned at an accredited college, and 3) listed on an official transcript generated by the college.
  • To be awarded credit at UW Oshkosh, enrolling students must have their official college-level transcript(s) sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. Electronic transcripts must be sent through a secure document sending service to Transcripts sent through email, as an attachment, will not be accepted as official. Paper transcripts sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office must bear an official school seal and be printed on the school’s custom watermarked/security paper.


Once you are admitted, we will begin working on an evaluation of your transfer credits and will email you when your evaluation is available to view in your Student Center.

Registrar's Office

Dempsey Hall, Room 130 
Mon–Fri, 7:45 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address

University of Wisconsin Oshkosh 
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901-8608

Registrar's Contact

Phone: (920) 424-3454
Fax: (920) 424-1098