Select Page

Student Trips and Travel Information and Procedures

Student Travel Requirements

Prior to Travel

ALL UWO departments or registered student organizations who sponsor STUDENT overnight travel to any location must complete the Student Trips Pre-travel Registry prior to travel (see what trips are included below).

Post Travel

UWO personnel filling out the Pre-travel Registry Form will be sent a link (in the email response following submitting the pre-travel form) to the Post Travel Declaration Form to fill out after the travel is completed attesting to no crimes, or they reported crimes during travel. This form can also be accessed by clicking the link above. Please fill out this form within three business days of returning from the trip.

Purpose of the Registry and Declaration

This information is being collected in accordance with the Clery Act. Trip information submitted on this form will be used to track student travel for the purpose of gathering crime statistics information occurring at trip locations, if any. De-identified aggregate crime statistics data will then be published in the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report as required by federal law and immediately assessed for a Timely Warning to the campus community and/or students and employees at that location. Crime reports should occur as soon as possible while on the trip.

Campus Security Authorities and Locations

All UWO personnel (including student employees or volunteers) traveling with students are considered Campus Security Authorities and are responsible for reporting back as soon as possible any crimes occurring during the timeframe of the travel at the designated trip locations.

What and How to Report Crimes

Please include crimes that occur in the lobby and/or elevators/stairs that lead to the hotel rooms or other public access areas students may be using in the facilities. It does NOT matter who the victim of the crime is for the purpose of Clery reporting (UWO affiliated or not UWO affiliated). It is about the crime committed and the location of the crime during student travel, and the assessment for a Timely Warning to keep students and employees safe.

To report a crime other than sexual misconduct involving a student or employee, please call the UWO Police at 920-424-1212 or use the Clery Reporting Form. Crimes need to be posted to the Daily Crime Log within two business days of the report (with no personally identifiable information).

To report sexual misconduct involving a student or employee, please use the official Title IX Form or email Title IX Coordinator at

Click here for Clery Crimes and Definitions.


  • If the university department makes the arrangements and has an agreement with the lodging location the trip is considered school-sponsored (a receipt is a written agreement).
  • Repeated use overnight, school-sponsored trips: If the university department or registered student organization sponsors a student overnight trip every year and uses the same hotel each year for lodging. For example, a student organization takes a trip to Chicago each year and stays at the same hotel.
  • Short-stay “away” trips: If the university department or registered student organization sponsors short-stay “away” trips of more than one night for its students, all locations used during the trip and used to support educational purposes should be registered.  An example is a three-week marine biology study trip to Florida.  Any classroom or housing space specified in the agreement between the institution and a third-party providing space is reportable.
  • Third-party contractor: If the university department has entered into a written agreement with a third-party contractor to arrange housing and/or classroom space for a school-sponsored trip or study program (either domestic or foreign), it is assumed that the contractor is acting on behalf of the school as the school’s agent, putting the institution in control of this space and it is reportable.
  • Study abroad programs: If your department sends students to study abroad at locations or facilities that the university department or third-party contractor rents or leases for your students in a hotel or student housing facility, you are in control of that space for the time period covered by the agreement.


  • If students’ make trip arrangements and pay for the hotel/lodging without any University funds or sponsorship, it is NOT a school-sponsored trip.
  • No agreement: If the university department (or contracted third-party) does NOT have an agreement for the space used, your department does not control the space and are not required to count it. For example, there are some situations, such as sports tournaments, for which the host institution makes all of the housing arrangements for the visiting students.  In these situations, the visiting institutions do not have a written agreement for the use of the space and are not required to report for the lodging in which their students are located.
  • Another example, students travel with a university sponsored trip. During the trip, students meet with the professor at a local coffee shop for an hour each week for a lecture.  There is no written agreement to use the coffee shop (the location was chosen by the professor out of a matter of convenience), this is not a reportable location.
  • Field Trips: You are NOT required to register non-overnight field trips to locations the university department does not own or control.
  • Home Stays: Host family situations do not normally qualify as reportable locations unless a written agreement with the family gives the university department significant control over space in the family home.

For questions or additional assistance, please contact Sergeant Chance Duenkel (