Undergraduate degree-seeking applicants affirm English language ability by:
- having TOEFL, IELTS, or STEP/EIKEN scores submitted directly to UW Oshkosh by the testing agency; or
- successfully completing the UW Oshkosh Intensive English program; or
- successfully completing another pre-approved English language program*; or
- successfully completing one year (approximately 30 credits) at a U.S. college or university; or
- earning a high school diploma from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction.
English Language Tests Accepted at UW Oshkosh
TOEFL Minimum score: 71 ibt (undergraduate) Report must be mailed directly to UW Oshkosh (institution code: 1916) from the testing agency.
IELTS Minimum score: 6.0 (undergraduate) Report must be mailed directly to UW Oshkosh from the testing agency.
STEP/EIKEN Minimum score: Level 1 (undergraduate only) For students whose native language is Japanese.
*Other Approved English Language Programs
ELS Language Centers Minimum level: 112 (undergraduate only)
Wisconsin English as a Second Language Institute (WESLI) Minimum level 700 plus rating of “very good” in academic reading, writing, listening and speaking and minimum 75 on the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (undergraduate).
Madison English as a Second Language School (MESLS) Minimum level advanced - 302 level courses in oral communication skills, reading, writing and grammar, with at least an AB grade average (graduate only).