Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools


On-campus Employment

Students with an F-1 student visa may be approved to work on campus following arrival at UW Oshkosh.

Steps to Working On Campus
  • Register in person with the UW Oshkosh International Student Advisor upon arrival at UW Oshkosh;
  • Search for a job on campus;
  • Apply for a job on campus;
  • Apply to the Office of International Education for approval to work on campus AFTER receiving a job offer;
  • Apply for a social security number AFTER receiving approval to work from the Office of International Education.
Search for a Job On Campus

Students with an F-1 student visa may begin searching for a job at UW Oshkosh by

  • Attending the Student Employment Fair on opening day just prior to fall or spring semester;
  • Logging in to Handshake (on-line UW Oshkosh student job search system)
  • Visiting department offices on campus to inquire about job openings.
Apply for a Job On Campus

Students with an F-1 student visa will compete for jobs with other UW Oshkosh students.  Be prepared!  To apply for a job, you may be asked:

  • To submit a job application, available from the employer;
  • To submit a resume;
  • To submit a cover letter explaining your skills & experiences;
  • To interview.
Maximum Work Hours per Week

Students with an F-1 student visa may work on campus

  • for a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session;
  • full-time (40 hours per week) during breaks and vacations.
Social Security Number
Eligibility & Purpose

The social security number is used to report wages to the government.

Students on an F-1 visa who have been in the U.S. for at least 10 calendar days AND have been registered in SEVIS may request a social security number under the following conditions:

  • You have been offered a job on campus.

Timing your Application

  • On campus employment: You may apply 30 or fewer days prior to your employment start date.
  • You must APPLY for this number before beginning employment.
  • You may begin working before you RECEIVE your social security number.
  • NOTE: You are legally allowed to begin working before you receive your Social Security Number; however, your employer may require that you start work after receiving the number.  

 Application Documents

  • All Applicants need:
    • Application for a Social Security Card (form SS-5)
    • Unexpired, original Passport
    • I-94
  • F-1 STUDENTS also need:
    • Original current I-20 (all three pages; for CPT, the third page MUST show that you are authorized for employment)
  • Students working ON CAMPUS also need:

Apply in Person

You must apply IN PERSON at the Social Security Office in Oshkosh.  This office is located at 400 City Center.

More Information

View the Social Security Administration's Information for International Students.

AP and IB Credit Charts
Score levels for credit at UWO

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202
Phone: +1 (920) 424-0775
Fax: +1 (920) 424-0185

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202
Phone: (920) 424-0775
Fax: (920) 424-0185
Emergency Contact

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.