Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home / International Students & Scholars / Visiting Scholars / Invited Scholars

Invited Scholars

Submit this Form Prior to Travel

You must submit the Visiting Scholars Form prior to travel to the U.S.  

This form includes questions about your 

  • arrival and departure dates;
  • airline itinerary;
  • local address in Oshkosh; and
  • health insurance policy.
You will also use this form to
  • request access to the UW Oshkosh library and
  • request a UW Oshkosh email address (optional).

To complete this form, you must have

  • an electronic copy of your Guest Researcher Agreement;
  • an electronic copy of your airline ticket; and 
  • a housing address in Oshkosh.

Details related to all of the questions on this form are available on the Office of International Education web pages for "Visiting Scholars" (read all three sections: Prospective, Invited, Current).  Additional information is on the Office of International Education "International Students & Scholars" page.

Pre-travel Orientation

Read the information on this web page carefully. Only a few of these things will be repeated at orientation on campus.

On-campus Orientation

Formal New Student & Scholar Orientation takes place on the UW Oshkosh campus just prior to the start of the academic semester in fall and in spring BUT IS OPTIONAL FOR SCHOLARS.

  • Fall: final week of August
  • Spring: final week of January

View the Orientation Schedule

For Scholars who cannot attend the formal orientation, the informal New Scholar Orientation is brief, completed one-on-one with the scholar upon arrival, and is required.

Opening Day

The day before the first day of fall semester classes is called opening day.  UW Oshkosh opening day events include:

  • 8:00am: breakfast on the first floor of Reeve Union for university staff, including visiting professors
  • 11:00am - 2:00pm: Student Organization Fair (outside between entrances for Polk Library, Reeve Union and Dempsey Hall)
  • 2:00pm: Chancellor's Walk/Run
Attend the Study Abroad Fair

During the first or second week of classes each fall and spring semester, the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education holds a large study abroad fair.  More than 700 UW Oshkosh students attend each fall, and more than 500 UW Oshkosh students attend each spring.  The fair is normally held from 10:00 AM to 2:00 pm in Reeve Union.

Consider attending our fair to see the opportunities available to UW Oshkosh students.

Research Support
Library Use

Researchers can use both the UW Oshkosh library and the Oshkosh public library.

University ID

Scholars who have enrolled in a course (audit or credit) or who have applied for UW Oshkosh library privileges must apply for a UW Oshkosh ID (Titan ID) at the Reeve Union information desk.

  • Cost: About $20.00 as of September 2013
  • Photo: A photo will be taken when you apply for an ID.
  • Passport: You must show your original passport (not a copy) when applying for the ID.
  • About: The Titan ID is also your UW Oshkosh Polk Library card and your free public transportation ticket.  The Titan ID also shows your UW Oshkosh Titan ID Number.
UW Oshkosh Email Address

Scholars who have enrolled in a course (audit or credit) will automatically be given a UW Oshkosh email address.

Scholars who have not enrolled in a course may request an email address from the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education (optional).  

Scholars who would like to receive email announcements about campus events should contact the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education to request a UW Oshkosh email address and to request to be added to the employee announcements list.  Only the UW Oshkosh email address can be added to the "announcements" list; email addresses with an extension other than "" cannot be added to this list.

You cannot log in to your email until you have received BOTH your UW Oshkosh email address AND your UW Oshkosh Titan ID number.  Sometimes these take several weeks to create.

To log in to your UW Oshkosh email for the first time:

From the Titan Apps (email) log in screen, enter your full UW Oshkosh email address and your temporary password.  After you log in the first time, you MUST change your password.

Your temporary password is:

• The first two letters of your first name; and

• The first two letters of your last name; and

• The last four digits of your UW Oshkosh Titan ID number

Office Space

Availability and location of office space will depend on the hosting department at UW Oshkosh.  Visiting professors hosted by the Office of International Education, and those hosted outside of the Office of International Education with no office space provided, may use space in the Office of International Education.  We have desks & chairs in a shared office area, access to a copier & fax machine, use of a computer and printer (including paper) and access to office supplies.

Housing Options

Review your options for on- and off-campus housing.  Contact accommodation providers directly to ask questions or to make final reservations.

When you decide which accommodation you will use, let your host at UW Oshkosh know.  

Gruenhagen Conference Center (on-campus housing)

Gruenhagen Conference Center (GCC) offers dormitory-style housing on the university campus and is open to visiting professors and to accompanying adults over the age of 18.  All campus buildings and downtown Oshkosh are within short walking distance of GCC; the furthest building from GCC can be reached on foot within 10 to 15. 

Living Off Campus (off-campus housing)

Off-campus housing means that you will be living somewhere in Oshkosh but not on the UW Oshkosh campus.  You may be able to live within walking distance of the university, but it's more likely that you'll live along the bus line further from campus.  You may even need a car.  Your apartment will probably be unfurnished (empty except for basic appliances).  Costlier options include furnished apartments and extended stay hotels.

How long will you be staying?

For under 12 months, consider On-campus HousingFurnished Apartments or Extended Hotel Stays

For over 12 months, consider Unfurnished Apartments

On-campus Housing


The Conference Center offers single and double rooms, a computer lounge with computers, a shared kitchen, shared bathrooms and shared laundry facilities.  Shared bathrooms with private shower stalls are at the end of each hallway on each floor (there will be no bathroom in your room). 

Each room in Gruenhagen Conference Center has WiFi access, a twin bed mattress (33 inches x 80 inches), desk with chair, dresser, bookshelf, mirror, curtains, ceiling lights, microwave, small refrigerator, smoke detector, cable TV hook-up (not the TV, just a place to plug in a TV to get cable), telephone (optional), carpet and wastebasket. Because the bed size is not standard, don't bring bed sheets with you. Buy your bed sheets after you arrive in Oshkosh. You will also need a lightweight blanket and a heavy blanket (quilt) for cold weather.

View a diagram of a student room, including the furniture.

2015/2016 rates are approximately $450/30 days for an air conditioned room with high-speed internet access.

Contact Marc Nylen at  or +1 (920) 424-1123 to reserve a room.  In your request, include:

  • your date of arrival
  • your date of departure
  • the number of people who will share a room (maximum: 2 per room)
  • a request for an air-conditioned room
  • a request for access to high-speed internet in the room

If you have a confirmed reservation in Gruenhagen Conference Center, you may mail your luggage to the conference center in advance of your arrival.  Please address your package as follows:

(Your Name)
Group Name: Office of International Education Visiting Professor
(Conference Center Reservation Number)
C/O Guest Reservations
208 Osceola St
Gruenhagen Conference Center
Oshkosh, WI  54901  - USA

Off-campus Housing

Scholars who prefer off-campus housing should either reserve a room in Gruenhagen Conference Center for the first week of their stay and begin their search for off-campus housing just after arrival (only recommended for summer arrival at UW Oshkosh) OR begin their search for off-campus housing and enter into a housing contract with a landlord many months before arriving in Oshkosh.  

Off-campus housing is difficult to find near campus during the academic year because so many students will already have rented nearby accommodation. If you plan to live off campus, research options before you arrive, and plan to arrive several weeks (BUT NOT MORE THAN 30 DAYS) prior to the start date on your DS-2019. Please consider the following when planning for off-campus housing:

  • Furnished housing will not be available at a reasonable cost; all affordable housing will be unfurnished.
  • Landlords will generally require a 12-month contract.
  • "RentCollegePads" provides information on rentals, student roommates, and subleases in the campus neighborhood. More information and a link to the website are available from the Oshkosh Student Association website.

  • UW Oshkosh does not provide support in locating off-campus housing. Because off-campus housing involves legal contracts, the Office of International Education cannot advise on or help international students locate off-campus housing.

Unfurnished Apartments (for stays of at least 12+ months)

 An unfurnished apartment may cost between $650-$900 per month (including costs for utilities), though some may be more or less than this.  There are many property owners in the city.  We recommend that you search on-line (recommended search criteria is shown below) and contact each individual company or landlord to ask questions or to rent accommodation.

Google: “Oshkosh apartment rental”

Renting an unfurnished apartment means that the apartment will be absolutely empty!  It is possible to purchase new or used furniture in Oshkosh; however, transportation of the furniture to your residence and disposal of the furniture at the end of your stay should be considered.  Furniture rental is also a possibility.  The company listed below specializes in renting furniture to students and visiting professors for use during the academic year.  The company also delivers and picks up the furniture at the beginning and end of your stay.  For more information or to rent furniture, please review the web links below and contact the company directly.

Review options and rental fees
Pricing Guide (2013)

Furniture rental does not include any items for the kitchen.  These must be purchased upon arrival.  There are many thrift stores in the Oshkosh area where used items can be purchased at reasonable cost.

If you decide to rent an unfurnished apartment, you may elect to move into Gruenhagen Conference Center on campus upon arrival in Oshkosh, and then visit the apartment to sign the lease after arrival.  For information on making a reservation in Gruenhagen Conference Center, see above under “on-campus housing”.

Furnished Apartments (for stays under 12 months)

A furnished apartment will cost $1,500-$2,000 per month, though some may be more or less than this.  Review the websites below and use the contact information for each individual company to ask questions or to rent accommodation.

Extended Stay Hotels (for stays of under 12 months)

These are typically a bit more expensive than furnished apartments, but often breakfasts are included in the room rates and sometimes there is a swimming pool.  These are also not typically in neighborhoods, but much closer to shopping areas.  Review the websites below and use the contact information for each individual company to ask questions or to rent accommodation.

Meal Plans

Meals are served in campus dining halls and offer a range of food choices. Scholars may pay individually for meals eaten on campus, or may purchase a meal plan.  Meal plans allow you to eat on campus when classes are in session.

"No Meal Plan" Dates
  • Meal plans do not begin until AFTER the formal International Student & Scholar orientation has ended.
  • Meal plans do not include meals prior to the first day of classes, during university breaks such as Thanksgiving break (November), winter break (either mid-December through early January and the last week of January), spring break (March), and/or summer (even if enrolled in courses).
Break Periods

You may purchase some meals on campus during these periods, but options will be limited and may not be open for all three meals each day.

Health and Safety
Health Insurance

The University of Wisconsin System has negotiated an insurance plan that meets federal requirements for UW System international students and scholars.  All international students and scholars on F- and J- visas and all dependents (spouses & children) on J- visas will be automatically enrolled in the UW System plan.  Fees for this plan will be charged to the student account.

A copy of your insurance policy is available on the Student Assurance Services website.  To find the policy for the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, follow these steps:

  1. Go to the Student Assurance Services website
  2. Choose "Wisconsin" from the drop down list.
  3. Click "go"
  4. Choose "Univ of WI-Oshkosh - International Students"
  5. Click "go"

Please send an email to to request the VISITING SCHOLAR Health Insurance sign up form.

UW Oshkosh Student Health Center

The student health center is only available to students studying at UW Oshkosh.  Scholars who take a course at UW Oshkosh and pay tuition have access to these services.  Scholars who aren't paying tuition to UW Oshkosh must access healthcare through off-campus clinics.

Safety on the UW Oshkosh Campus

Students studying in Oshkosh enjoy one of the safest communities in the U.S!

We proactively plan to keep our community and our students safe well into the future and understand that both being safe and feeling safe help create the right environment for students and studying.

Titan Alert
Allows cell phone users to receive weather alerts, updates from the University, and emergency alerts via text messages.

Safe Walk Program
Provides a trained escort to students who may need to walk alone after dark during evening or night hours.

Blue Light Emergency Phones
Are located outside around campus and provide a direct link to the University Police Department.

Emergency Procedures Guide
Available to everyone in the campus community.

Daily Life

You may drive in Wisconsin with your home country's valid license PLUS an International Driving Permit for up to one year. See the Wisconsin Department of Transportation website for more information.

You must obtain your International Driving Permit in your home country before you arrive in the U.S.

After one year, you must meet the licensing requirements as a Wisconsin resident.


Summer (June - August)
It may be very warm, with temperatures as high as 85° Fahrenheit (29° Celsius). Pack light, cool clothing.

Winter (November - March)
Wisconsin winters begin in November. Weather can be relatively mild or very cold and can bring a lot of snow or very little snow - every winter is a surprise Temperatures can get as low as –10°Fahrenheit (-23°Celsius). You will need a very warm (heavy) coat, hat, gloves, and boots, but don't buy these at home if your climate is different from Wisconsin's climate! Wait until you arrive so that you can clothing that is most appropriate to the climate.

Spring & Fall (April - May; September - October)
Spring and fall in Wisconsin are beautiful and relatively cool. Get ready for outdoor activities!!


Scholars may open a bank account during formal orientation or, if not attending formal orientation, during business hours throughout the year.  UW Credit Union offers a safe, convenient banking location on campus. There are also a number of other banking options near campus.

Traveling Around the UW Oshkosh Campus
UWO Go is a non-emergency service designed to provide a safe ride for students and employees on and near the UW Oshkosh campus. 

UWO options also include biking, ride sharing, and city buses.

If your DS-2019 shows that you are in the category: Professors and Research Scholars, you may participate in occasional lectures and short-term consultations that are incidental to your primary program activities.

If these lectures and consultations are not paid, you must request your sponsor's written approval to participate.

You may not receive wages or other remuneration for such activities unless you act as an independent contractor AND the occasional lectures or short-term consultations:

  • directly relate to the stated objectives of your visit to UWO;
  • are incidental to your primary activities; and
  • will not delay the completion date of your J-1 program.
To apply for approval to participate in occasional lectures and short-term consultations, you must submit two letters to the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education (this is the ONLY unit at UWO approved by the federal government to accept your request).
  • Submit one letter from the offeror setting forth the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult, including the duration, number of hours, field or subject, amount of compensation, and description of such activity; and
  • Submit a second letter from your department head or supervisor recommending such activity and explaining how it would enhance your program.
The UW Oshkosh Office of International Education must review the letters, must make a written determination whether such activity is warranted and satisfies the criteria outlined above, and must update your SEVIS record accordingly.

If your DS-2019 shows that you are in the category: Short-term Scholar, you may receive compensation from your sponsor or your sponsor's appropriate designee for employment only when such activities and remuneration have been clearly communicated in advance of participation in the J-1 visa program.


Scholars may enroll in one or two courses while at UW Oshkosh, provided course enrollment is

  • directly related to the stated objectives of your visit to UWO;
  • incidental to your primary activities.

Non-resident tuition fees will apply if taking courses for credit.  Courses may also be audited (not graded) for a lower fee.

Course Registration

Apply to Take a Course

Before you can enroll in a course, you must apply to UW Oshkosh as a "Special Student".  To take an undergraduate level course, complete the Special Student Form for Undergraduate Admissions.  To take a graduate level course, complete the Graduate Registration Form and Graduate Special/Non-Degree Information Form.

Enrollment (Course Registration) Date

  • Special Students can enroll one week prior to the term start date.
Academic Calendar

Course enrollment periods include:

  • Fall Semester – early September through mid-December
  • Fall Interim – optional three-week course period in January
  • Spring Semester – early February through mid-May
  • Spring Interim – optional three-week course period in May/June
  • Summer I – mid-June through mid-July
  • Summer II – mid-July through early August
Schedule of classes

Many courses offered during the regular semester meet for one hour on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays or for 1.5 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Most, but not all, courses offered during the interim periods meet for 3 hours per day Monday through Friday.

Courses will require a lot of homework, including reading, writing and group work. For every hour you spend in class, you will spend a minimum of three additional hours outside of class doing homework. In other words, if you are in class for three hours each week, you must plan an additional 9 hours each week for homework for that class.


Some courses are offered as “stand-alone” courses – these courses do NOT require that you complete another course first in order to understand the material.

Other courses are offered “in sequence”. These courses require that you complete another course first; these “first” courses are “pre-requisites” to the later courses.

Course Capacity

There is a maximum number of students who can enroll for each course. If a course is full, no additional students may register.

Course Levels
Each course has a name and a number. The name tells you which department offers the course. The number tells you the level of difficulty.
  • 100-199 1st-year (freshman) courses
  • 200-299 2nd-year (sophomore) courses
  • 300-399 3rd-year (junior) courses
  • 400-499 4th-year (senior) courses
  • 500-700 graduate level courses (undergraduates may not enroll)
Course Catalog vs. Course Time Table

All courses approved for offer at UW Oshkosh are listed in the Course Catalog. The Catalog includes course descriptions and tells you about required pre-requisites. However, it does not tell you WHICH courses are offered each semester.

The Course Time Table in TitanWeb tells you which courses will be offered each term, what days of the week, and what times of the day.

Use the On-line Course Registration System for the First Time

Use TitanWeb to enroll in courses. TitanWeb is available for use from 7:00AM to 2:00AM (US CENTRAL TIME) Monday through Friday and is always available for use on the weekends.

  • Navigate to TitanWeb.
  • Click on the "TitanWeb Student Information" graphic (under "Access TitanWeb: As a Student or Faculty Member).
  • Refer to the email you received (or will receive after you complete a Special Student Form) from UW Oshkosh to find your “student ID”.
  • Your USER ID is the letter “W” plus your Student ID. You must type in CAPITAL LETTERS. (For example, Campus ID: 0123456 --> User ID: W0123456).
  • Your password is:
    • The first 2 letters of your first name
    • The first 2 letters of your last name
    • The last 4 digits of your campus ID #
    • Example for "Jane Doe" with ID #0013456: JADO3456
  • Click “Sign in”
  • Change your password
  • Log out
View the Schedule of Classes and Enroll in Courses in Titan Web
  • Log in to TitanWeb using your new password.
  • Click on SA Self Service
  • Click on Class Search / Browse Catalog
  • Click on Class Search
  • View Schedule of Classes
  • Search for the course by subject, course number and course career. The green circle means that that course is "open" and students can enroll.
  • To enroll, click on "select class".
TitanWeb “HELP”

If you have questions, cannot find information or cannot enter information, view the TitanWeb HELP page.

Making Payments
How to Pay

Tuition and insurance fees may be paid in the following ways.

By Credit Card
MasterCard or American Express payments must be made through Titan Web (use your student ID to log in). If you pay by credit card, you will also pay the credit card company's 2.5% convenience fee.

By Check, Money Order or Demand Draft
Checks, money orders and demand drafts must be drawn on a U.S. bank, be made payable to “The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh” and be hand delivered or mailed to “Cashier’s Office, UW Oshkosh, 800 Algoma Blvd, Oshkosh, WI 54901, USA”

In Cash
Students may pay at the UW Oshkosh Cashier's Office in the main administrative building, Dempsey Hall, after arrival in Oshkosh.  It is not recommended to pay the full bill in cash; students are not advised to carry more than $300 in cash when they travel, if possible, and should use one of the other payment methods available to them whenever possible.

By Travelers Check
Students may cash Travelers Checks at multiple locations in Oshkosh.

By Wire Transfer

The student should share the following information with the sending bank and request that bank fees on both the SENDING and RECEIVING banks be covered in the transfer:

Bank NameUS Bank
Account Name:University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Bank Account Number: 182381144183
Bank Address: 777 E. Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI  53202
Bank Phone Number: (800) 706-4727
Payable to: University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Student name: First Name/Given Name, Last Name/Family Name
Payment Deadlines
See the UW Oshkosh Financial Services site for payment deadlines.
If you have a UW Oshkosh student ID, you may wire fees to your student account at any time before the payment deadlines, even if charges don't yet appear on your student account. Watch exchange rates and time your payment to your advantage, if possible. If you pay too much onto your student account, money not used to pay fees can be refunded directly to you upon request.
Why can't I see my insurance fee?

Insurance fees may not show on your Student Account until after you arrive on-campus.

Payment Questions
View this page for answers to frequently asked questions on billing, viewing a bill, sharing a bill with a parent, how to make payments, and more.
Travel to the U.S.
Choosing Travel Dates

J- visa holders may enter the US 30 days OR FEWER prior to the start date typed on your DS-2019 (the immigration document sent to you by UW Oshkosh). YOU MAY NOT ARRIVE IN THE U.S. EARLIER THAN THIS DATE!

Scholars who plan to live off campus and who arrive in Oshkosh prior to their lease start date must make arrangements in a local hotel or may contact the UW Oshkosh Gruenhagen Conference Center (+1-920-424-1106) to rent a room on a short-term basis. As of June 2014, the lowest rate available per night was $40.00. Plan an additional $25.00 per day for food.


Flight dates must match the dates on your immigration paperwork.  If your flight dates will not match the dates on your immigration paperwork, you must email your new arrival and departure dates to the Office of International Education PRIOR TO THE ORIGINAL ENTRY DATE LISTED ON YOUR IMMIGRATION PAPERWORK.  The Office of International Education will then update your travel dates in the U.S. government’s electronic system.  If your travel dates don’t match the dates in the U.S. government’s electronic system, you may have trouble entering the U.S.

Travel Documents

Carry this phone number with you when you travel. If your flight number changes, or you encounter major issues, contact the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education during business hours. You will also receive an email with a mobile contact number before you travel.


At the U.S. airport or port of entry, you MUST GIVE your DS-2019 to the border official. The border official will enter information from your document into the immigration database (SEVIS) and then return the document to you. DO NOT lose your document!

Carry these documents with you (not in your checked luggage!) when you travel to the U.S. A border official may ask to see ALL or SOME of these documents.

  • Original Passport
  • U.S. Visa (this is inside your passport)
  • DS-2019
  • UW Oshkosh Acceptance Letter (a copy printed from an electronic file is ok)
  • Financial Documents (bank statements, financial award letters)

Canadians You MUST present your DS-2019 AND SEVIS I-901 fee receipt to the U.S. Immigration Authorities at the border. Do not simply enter the U.S. as a tourist! You MUST be admitted into the U.S. in F-1 student status.

Airport Pick Up

Outagamie County Regional Airport (ATW) is located just 20 minutes away from UW Oshkosh.  Upon arrival, exit the airplane and follow signs to the "Baggage Claim". Once in the baggage claim area, pick up your luggage and look for a UW Oshkosh Student Driver. Your student driver should either be wearing a blue shirt or will be holding a sign that says "UW Oshkosh". ATW is a very small airport - it will be easy for you and your student driver to find each other!  However, if you have already picked up your luggage AND you cannot find your Student Driver, you will have a cell phone number that you can call. This cell phone number will be sent to you in an email before you travel. Please remember that this cell phone number is only for emergencies or changes to your flight schedule. Your Student Driver can also take you shopping after you check into your residence hall at UW Oshkosh to help you buy things for your room.

Airport pickup is available to you only if you 1) arrive at Outagamie County Regional Airport; 2) arrive ON the official arrival dates; and 3) request airport pickup and share flight details at least one week prior to arrival.

If you plan to arrive at a different airport, you should research transportation options from the airport to the city of Oshkosh before booking an airline ticket.  Public transportation is neither efficient nor inexpensive and in many cases is simply not available.  If you choose this option, you must plan, make reservations, and pay for the transportation on your own.

To schedule a ride in a vehicle large enough for multiple people and luggage, contact Valley Ride Direct 920-757-5544 at  AS FAR IN ADVANCE OF YOUR ARRIVAL AS POSSIBLE.  Otherwise, there are taxis available at the airport in Appleton upon arrival.  The one-way cost to Oshkosh is approximately $63 for the first person and $2 per additional passenger (plus tip) as of March 2019.  If no taxis are available when you arrive, “Fox Valley Cabs” can be found here or “Yellow Cab” can be reached at 920-733-4444.

AP and IB Credit Charts
Score levels for credit at UWO

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202
Phone: +1 (920) 424-0775
Fax: +1 (920) 424-0185

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202
Phone: (920) 424-0775
Fax: (920) 424-0185
Emergency Contact

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.