The UW Oshkosh Office of International Education advises visiting Scholars on issues related to and affected by non-immigrant status in the U.S.
It is the individual Scholar's responsibility to know the laws that apply to their visa AND to follow those laws. Scholars are required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to maintain “lawful status” at all times.
Your responsibilities as a Scholars on a non-immigrant visa are to:
- Report address changes to your Immigration Advisor within 10 days of the change;
- Report any change in sources of financial support to your Immigration Advisor;
- Seek the approval of your Immigration Advisor/USCIS before engaging in employment;
- Report any changes in your activites as they relate to your primary purpose in the U.S. to your Immigration Advisor;
- Notify your Immigration Advisor prior to traveling outside the United States;
- Notify your Immigration Advisor upon applying for change of nonimmigrant status;
- Notify your Immigration Advisor upon approval of an adjustment of status to an immigrant;
- Notify your Immigration Advisor about changes in dependent status.
- Consult with your Immigration Advisor before making decisions that you believe will have an effect on, or be affected by, your nonimmigrant status.
|Provide Up-to-date Information to the OIE|
|Length of Stay in the U.S.|
|Short- and Long-term Visitors|
|Final Departure from the U.S.|
|I am out of Lawful Status. What do I do?|