Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools


Academic Training

Students on a J-1 student visa may request permission to do a post-completion internship (an internship that takes place after you have completed your studies at UW Oshkosh).

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires that, in order to obtain authorization, you must submit a letter of recommendation from your UW Oshkosh academic dean or academic advisor.  This letter must:

  • outline the goals and objectives of the specific internship program;
  • provide a description of the internship program, including its location, the name and address of the training supervisor, number of hours per week, and dates of the internship;
  • explain how the internship relates to the student’s major field of study; and
  • explain why it is an integral or critical part of the academic program of the exchange visitor student.

OIE highly recommends that you ask a faculty member to submit the letter.

OIE also highly recommends that you address each of the above points in writing and then, if the faculty advisor agrees to write the letter, share your written points with the advisor.

You will also need to provide your own letter (not an email, but a typed/signed letter) from you to OIE:

  • agreeing that your internship will not begin more than 30 days after your final class date (in other words, that you will begin your internship within 30 days of your final day of class at UW Oshkosh);
  • confirming the name and contact details for the contact person at your internship site (or confirming that you will share this information within 2 days of arrival at your internship site); and
  • confirming your physical address during your internship (or confirming that you will share this information within 2 days of arrival at your internship site).


The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.