Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home / International Students & Scholars / Intensive English / Accepted IEP

Accepted IEP

Pre-travel Orientation

Read the information on this web page carefully. Many of these things will be repeated at on-campus orientation, but you will understand them better if you read about them first.

On-campus Orientation

New Student Orientation is required of all IEP students.

For students starting the IEP at the beginning of the UW Oshkosh fall or spring semester, orientation takes place ON THE UW OSHKOSH CAMPUS just prior to the start of the academic semester.

  • Fall: final week of August
  • Spring: final week of January

For students starting the IEP at any other time, orientation takes place ON THE UW OSHKOSH CAMPUS during the first days of class.

View an orientation schedule.

Transfer Form
SEVIS Transfer

Students who

  • have completed the full application process for UW Oshkosh;
  • have been accepted to study at UW Oshkosh;
  • are already studying in the U.S. on an F- or J- visa; and
  • who have a valid I-20 or DS-2019 from a U.S. school

 MUST complete the UW Oshkosh SEVIS Transfer Request form and submit this to their current school’s International Student Office for processing.

Your current school’s International Student Office will forward the form to the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education. This form will include the date on which your current school should “release” you to UW Oshkosh by transferring your SEVIS record to UW Oshkosh.

UW Oshkosh can issue you a new I-20 only after your SEVIS record has been transferred.

Housing Options

University housing is guaranteed.  All housing is open during University break periods. Utilities and high speed internet access are included in the room rental.

Housing for students who are accompanied by family members is available only off campus and is arranged directly by the student.

South Gruenhagen Hall

South Gruenhagen Hall offers Peer Support specifically to international students through the Community Development Specialist (CDS). The CDS is available to answer students’ questions and to offer programming aimed at easing the transition to college life in the U.S.

South Gruenhagen Hall is also open - at no extra fee - to international students during orientation week. Students who choose to live in a different UW Oshkosh residence hall will stay temporarily in Gruenhagen during orientation, and will later move into their assigned residence hall.

View a diagram of a student room, including the furniture.

Housing Costs

Housing costs depend on your residence hall choice and room style. You should review all housing costs before you make a selection.

What is in the rooms?

Each residence hall room has a twin bed mattress (33 inches x 80 inches), desk with chair, dresser, bookshelf, mirror, curtains, ceiling lights, microwave, small refrigerator, smoke detector, cable TV hook-up (not the TV, just a place to plug in a TV to get cable), telephone

The University of Wisconsin System has negotiated an insurance plan that meets federal requirements for UW System international students and scholars.  All international students and scholars on F- and J- visas and all dependents (spouses & children) on J- visas will be automatically enrolled in the UW System plan.  Fees for this plan will be charged to the student account.

A copy of your insurance policy is available on the Student Assurance Services website.  To find the policy for the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, follow these steps:

  1. Go to the Student Assurance Services website
  2. Choose "Wisconsin" from the drop down list.
  3. Click "go"
  4. Choose "Univ of WI-Oshkosh - International Students"
  5. Click "go"
carpet and wastebasket. Because the bed size is not standard, don't bring bed sheets with you. Buy your bed sheets after you arrive in Oshkosh. You will also need a lightweight blanket and a heavy blanket (quilt) for cold weather.

Housing Registration

Students will receive information on how to reserve a room after acceptance at UW Oshkosh. Students may not reserve a room until AFTER acceptance at UW Oshkosh.

To reserve housing, you will be asked to pay a housing deposit. Your deposit will only be refunded if you can prove that your visa has been denied. You will not be refunded the deposit if you decide not to enroll at UW Oshkosh.

Who is required to live on campus?

IEP students who meet the following criteria are required to live on campus during all IEP terms and must register for housing by the housing deadlines.

  • IEP students at the undergraduate level who are 20 years old or younger on the first day of fall classes.

Married students and students who plan to live with a parent or an established host family whose home is located within 40 miles (approximately 70 kilometers) may appeal for an exemption to this policy. Students may NOT appeal to live off campus with friends.

Off-campus Housing

Students who are eligible to live off campus (see "Who is required to live on campus?"), and choose to do so, must find their own housing. Off-campus housing is difficult to find near campus at the beginning of the semester because so many other students will already have rented nearby accommodation. If you plan to live off campus, research options before you arrive, and plan to arrive several weeks (BUT NOT MORE THAN 30 DAYS) prior to the start date on your I-20/DS-2019. Please consider the following when planning for off-campus housing:

  • Furnished housing will not be available; all housing will be unfurnished.
  • Landlords will generally require a 12-month contract.
  • "RentCollegePads" provides information on rentals, roommates, and subleases in the campus neighborhood. More information and a link to the website are available from the Oshkosh Student Association website.

  • UW Oshkosh does not provide support in locating off-campus housing. Because off-campus housing involves legal contracts, the Office of International Education cannot advise on or help international students locate off-campus housing.

Moving into Your Residence Hall (student dormitory)

The UW Oshkosh Department of Residence Life has great information for students who are new to UW Oshkosh and moving into their rooms on campus for the first time. View this special residence hall "move-in information" for details.

Meal Plans

Meals are served in campus dining halls and offer a range of food choices. Meal plans allow students to eat on campus when classes are in session. All students who live on campus must purchase a meal plan. There are no exceptions to this policy.


"No Meal Plan" Dates
  • Meal plans do not begin until AFTER international student orientation has ended. This means that you must bring money to cover your meals during your first week on campus (during orientation).
  • Meal plans do not include meals prior to the first day of classes, during university breaks such as Thanksgiving break (November), winter break (either mid-December through early January and the last week of January), spring break (March), and/or summer (even if enrolled in courses). This means that you must bring money to cover your meals during these periods.
Break Periods

Students are not required to purchase meals on campus when classes are not in session or over the summer period, even if enrolled in summer courses. However, students may purchase meals on campus during these periods if they prefer. Students may also elect to eat off campus or make basic meals in the residence halls when classes are not in session.

Health and Safety
Health Insurance

The University of Wisconsin System has negotiated an insurance plan that meets federal requirements for UW System international students and scholars.  All international students and scholars on F- and J- visas and all dependents (spouses & children) on J- visas will be automatically enrolled in the UW System plan.  Fees for this plan will be charged to the student account.

A copy of your insurance policy is available on the Student Assurance Services website.  To find the policy for the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, follow these steps:

  1. Go to the Student Assurance Services website
  2. Choose "Wisconsin" from the drop down list.
  3. Click "go"
  4. Choose "Univ of WI-Oshkosh - International Students"
  5. Click "go"



UW Oshkosh Student Health Center

All students may take advantage of services available from experienced physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, medical technologists and health educators at the Student Health Center.

There is no charge for office visits.

When compared with similar services offered off campus, fees charged at the Student Health Center for lab work, testing, vaccinations, medications and other services are minimal.

Safety on the UW Oshkosh Campus

Students studying in Oshkosh enjoy one of the safest communities in the U.S!

We proactively plan to keep our community and our students safe well into the future and understand that both being safe and feeling safe help create the right environment for students and studying.  You can download the UWO Mobile app to access many safety resources!

Titan Alert
Allows cell phone users to receive weather alerts, updates from the University, and emergency alerts via text messages.

Safe Walk Program
Provides a trained escort to students who may need to walk alone after dark during evening or night hours.

Blue Light Emergency Phones
Are located outside around campus and provide a direct link to the University Police Department.

Emergency Procedures Guide
Available to everyone in the campus community.

Daily Life

You may drive in Wisconsin with your home country's valid license PLUS an International Driving Permit for up to one year. See the Wisconsin Department of Transportation website for more information.

You must obtain your International Driving Permit in your home country before you arrive in the U.S.

After one year, you must meet the licensing requirements as a Wisconsin resident.


Summer (June - August)
It may be very warm, with temperatures as high as 85° Fahrenheit (29° Celsius). Pack light, cool clothing.

Winter (November - March)
Wisconsin winters begin in November. Weather can be relatively mild or very cold and can bring a lot of snow or very little snow - every winter is a surprise! Temperatures can get as low as –10°Fahrenheit (-23°Celsius). You will need a very warm (heavy) coat, hat, gloves, and boots, but don't buy these at home if your climate is different from Wisconsin's climate! Wait until you arrive so that you can buy clothing that is most appropriate to the climate.

Spring & Fall (April - May; September - October)
Spring and fall in Wisconsin are beautiful and relatively cool. Get ready for outdoor activities!!


Students may open a bank account either during or after orientation (during business hours) at UW Oshkosh.

UW Credit Union offers a safe, convenient banking location on campus. There are also a number of other banking options near campus.

Wire Transfer
Send money to yourself BEFORE you arrive in Oshkosh. Use these details to complete a wire transfer PRIOR TO YOUR ARRIVAL (after arriving in Oshkosh, use the details associated with your own bank account here).

  • Bank Name: US Bank
  • Bank Address: 777 E. Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202
  • UW Oshkosh account number: 182381144183
  • Routing number: USBKUS44IMT
  • Include your name and student ID number!
Traveling Around the UW Oshkosh Campus
UWO Go is a non-emergency service designed to provide a safe ride for students and employees on and near the UW Oshkosh campus. 

UWO options also include biking, ride sharing, and city buses.

Per federal regulations, students in the IEP may not work on or off campus.


From wireless networks to labs to equipment, we’ve got students covered both in class and outside of class!

Students can also take advantage of technology discounts for personal use:

Academic Advising

Undergraduate Advising Resource Center (UARC)

IEP students are assigned an Academic Advisor just prior to completing the IEP. IEP students begin working closely with their advisor during the transition from the IEP to degree-related coursework, meeting with their advisor to discuss course options, plan course enrollment, discuss academic needs and create a plan for timely graduation. Advisors help ensure registration in courses appropriate to each student’s academic goals and English language skill level. With proper planning and a close relationship to the advisor, students can maximize their success each semester!

Course Registration

IEP courses do not appear in the UW Oshkosh on-line course registration system (TitanWeb) and are handled directly by IEP staff. Therefore, there is no need for IEP students to complete course registration.

Making Payments
How to Pay

Students may pay UW Oshkosh student fees in the following ways.

Be sure that you have access to enough money in your first week at UW Oshkosh to pay for all of your fees, books, housing, meal plan, insurance and personal expenses.

By Credit Card
VISA, MasterCard or American Express payments must be made through Titan Web (use your student ID to log in). If you pay by credit card, you will also pay the credit card company's 2.5% convenience fee.

By Check, Money Order or Demand Draft
Checks, money orders and demand drafts must be drawn on a U.S. bank, be made payable to “The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh” and be hand delivered or mailed to “Cashier’s Office, UW Oshkosh, 800 Algoma Blvd, Oshkosh, WI 54901, USA”

In Cash
Students may pay at the UW Oshkosh Cashier's Office in the main administrative building, Dempsey Hall, after arrival in Oshkosh.  It is not recommended to pay the full bill in cash; students are not advised to carry more than $300 in cash when they travel, if possible, and should use one of the other payment methods available to them whenever possible.

By Travelers Check
Students may cash Travelers Checks at multiple locations in Oshkosh.

By Scholarship
UW Oshkosh tuition scholarships and external scholarships may not show on your Student Account until after you arrive on-campus.

By Wire Transfer
The student should share the following information with the sending bank and request that bank fees on both the SENDING and RECEIVING banks be covered in the transfer:

Bank NameUS Bank
Account Name:University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Bank Account Number: 182381144183
Bank Address: 777 E. Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202, USA
Beneficiary Customer: University of Wisconsin Oshkosh  800 Algoma Blvd. Oshkosh, WI 54901, USA
Student Name:
First Name/Given Name, Last Name/Family Name
Student ID: Please include your 7digit Student ID
Payment Deadlines
See the UW Oshkosh Student Financial Services site for payment deadlines.
If you have a UW Oshkosh student ID, you may wire fees to your student account at any time before the payment deadlines, even if charges don't yet appear on your student account. Watch exchange rates and time your payment to your advantage, if possible. If you pay too much onto your student account, money not used to pay fees can be refunded directly to you upon request.
Why can't I see my insurance fee?

Insurance fees may not show on your Student Account until after you arrive on-campus.

Payment Questions
View this page for answers to frequently asked questions on billing, viewing a bill, sharing a bill with a parent, how to make payments, and more.
Travel to the U.S.
Choosing Travel Dates

Students may enter the US 30 days OR FEWER prior to the start date typed on your I-20 or DS-2019 (the immigration document sent to you by UW Oshkosh). YOU MAY NOT ARRIVE IN THE U.S. EARLIER THAN THIS DATE!

Students may move in to their on-campus housing at UW Oshkosh on the official campus move-in dates only or into off campus housing on their lease start date.

Students who arrive in Oshkosh PRIOR TO the official campus move-in date or prior to their lease start date must make arrangements in a local hotel or may contact the UW Oshkosh Gruenhagen Conference Center (+1-920-424-1106) to rent a room on a short-term basis. As of June 2017, the lowest rate available per night was $40.00. Plan an additional $25.00 per day for food.  To reserve a room in the Conference Center, contact Marc Nylen at  or +1 (920) 424-1123.  In your request, include:

  • your date of arrival
  • your date of departure
  • the number of people who will share a room (maximum: 2 per room)
Travel Documents

Carry this phone number with you when you travel. If your flight number changes, or you encounter major issues, contact the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education during business hours. You will also receive an email with a mobile contact number before you travel.


At the U.S. airport or port of entry, you MUST GIVE your I-20 or DS-2019 to the border official. The border official will enter information from your document into the immigration database (SEVIS) and then return the document to you. DO NOT lose your document!

Carry these documents with you (not in your checked luggage!) when you travel to the U.S. A border official may ask to see ALL or SOME of these documents.

  • Original Passport
  • U.S. Visa (this is inside your passport)
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Official UW Oshkosh Acceptance Letter (for IEP-only students) or Conditional Admission Letter (for IEP PLUS degree study students)
  • Financial Documents (bank statements, financial award letters)

Canadians You MUST present your I-20 or DS-2019 AND SEVIS I-901 fee receipt to the U.S. Immigration Authorities at the border. Do not simply enter the U.S. as a tourist! You MUST be admitted into the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 student status.

Airport Pick Up

Outagamie County Regional Airport (ATW) is located just 20 minutes away from UW Oshkosh.  Upon arrival, exit the airplane and follow signs to the "Baggage Claim". Once in the baggage claim area, pick up your luggage and look for a UW Oshkosh Student Driver. Your student driver should either be wearing a blue shirt or will be holding a sign that says "UW Oshkosh". ATW is a very small airport - it will be easy for you and your student driver to find each other!  However, if you have already picked up your luggage AND you cannot find your Student Driver, you will have a cell phone number that you can call. This cell phone number will be sent to you in an email before you travel. Please remember that this cell phone number is only for emergencies or changes to your flight schedule. Your Student Driver can also take you shopping after you check into your residence hall at UW Oshkosh to help you buy things for your room.

Airport pickup is available to you only if you

1. arrive at Outagamie County Regional Airport, and

2. arrive ON the official arrival dates, and 

3. request airport pickup and share flight details at least one week prior to arrival by emailing .

If you plan to arrive at a different airport, you should research transportation options from the airport to the city of Oshkosh before booking an airline ticket.  Public transportation is neither efficient nor inexpensive and in many cases is simply not available.  If you choose this option, you must plan, make reservations, and pay for the transportation on your own.

If you plan to arrive with dependents, unfortunately, you will not be eligible for airport pickup by the University.  University vehicle insurance regulations prohibit the University from transporting dependents.  To schedule a ride from the airport, consider these options.

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202
Phone: +1 (920) 424-0775
Fax: +1 (920) 424-0185

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.