Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home / International Students & Scholars / Degree-seeking Students / Admitted (degree)

Admitted (degree)

Pre-travel Orientation

Read the information on this web page carefully. Many of these things will be repeated at on-campus orientation, but you will understand them better if you read about them first.

On-campus Orientation

International Titan Welcome is required of all students new to UW Oshkosh from outside the U.S. International Titan Welcome takes place ON THE UW OSHKOSH CAMPUS just prior to the start of the academic semester in fall and in spring.

  • Fall: final week of August
  • Spring: final week of January

View an orientation schedule.

Transfer Form
SEVIS Transfer

Students who

  • have completed the full application process for UW Oshkosh;
  • have been accepted to study at UW Oshkosh;
  • are already studying in the U.S. on an F- or J- visa; and
  • who have a valid I-20 or DS-2019 from a U.S. school

 MUST complete the UW Oshkosh SEVIS Transfer Request form and submit this to their current school’s International Student Office for processing.

Your current school’s International Student Office will forward the form to the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education. This form will include the date on which your current school should “release” you to UW Oshkosh by transferring your SEVIS record to UW Oshkosh.

UW Oshkosh can issue you a new I-20 only after your SEVIS record has been transferred.

Housing Options

Please watch this introductory Video about UWO Housing explained by an International Student

University housing is guaranteed.  All housing is open during University break periods. Utilities and high speed internet access are included in the room rental. Please read: Residence Life

Housing for students who are accompanied by family members is available only off campus and is arranged directly by the student.

South Gruenhagen Hall

The University of Wisconsin System has negotiated an insurance plan that meets federal requirements for UW System international students and scholars.  All international students and scholars on F- and J- visas and all dependents (spouses & children) on J- visas will be automatically enrolled in the UW System plan.  Fees for this plan will be charged to the student account.

A copy of your insurance policy is available on the Student Assurance Services website.  To find the policy for the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, follow these steps:

  1. Go to the Student Assurance Services website
  2. Choose "Wisconsin" from the drop down list.
  3. Click "go"
  4. Choose "Univ of WI-Oshkosh - International Students"
  5. Click "go"

The University of Wisconsin System has negotiated an insurance plan that meets federal requirements for UW System international students and scholars.  All international students and scholars on F- and J- visas and all dependents (spouses & children) on J- visas will be automatically enrolled in the UW System plan.  Fees for this plan will be charged to the student account.

A copy of your insurance policy is available on the Student Assurance Services website.  To find the policy for the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, follow these steps:

  1. Go to the Student Assurance Services website
  2. Choose "Wisconsin" from the drop down list.
  3. Click "go"
  4. Choose "Univ of WI-Oshkosh - International Students"
  5. Click "go"
 offers Peer Support specifically to international students through the International Community Adviser (ICA). The ICA is available to answer students’ questions and to offer programming aimed at easing the transition to college life in the U.S.

South Gruenhagen Hall is also open - at no extra fee - to international students during orientation week. Students who choose to live in a different UW Oshkosh residence hall must pay an additional fee for housing during orientation.

View a diagram of a student room, including the furniture.

Housing Costs

Housing costs depend on your residence hall choice and room style. You should review all housing costs before you make a selection.

What is in the rooms?

Each residence hall room has a twin bed mattress (33 inches x 80 inches), desk with chair, dresser, bookshelf, mirror, curtains, ceiling lights, microwave, small refrigerator, smoke detector, cable TV hook-up (not the TV, just a place to plug in a TV to get cable), telephone (optional), carpet and wastebasket. Because the bed size is not standard, don't bring bed sheets with you. Buy your bed sheets after you arrive in Oshkosh. You will also need a lightweight blanket and a heavy blanket (quilt) for cold weather.

Housing Registration

Students will receive information on how to reserve a room after admission to UW Oshkosh. Students may not reserve a room until AFTER admission to UW Oshkosh.

To reserve housing, you will be asked to pay a housing deposit. Your deposit will only be refunded if you can prove that your visa has been denied. You will not be refunded the deposit if you decide not to enroll at UW Oshkosh.

Who is required to live on campus?

Students who meet the following criteria are required to live on campus during the semesters and must register for housing by the housing deadlines.

  • Undergraduate students who have earned 47 credits or fewer at UW Oshkosh, who will be transferring in 47 credits or fewer by the first day of classes, or who have earned the equivalent of 47 or fewer credits at their home institution.

Married students and students who plan to live with a parent or an established host family whose home is located within 45 miles (approximately 70 kilometers) may appeal for an exemption to this policy. Students may NOT appeal to live off campus with friends.

Off-campus Housing

Students who are eligible to live off campus (see "Who is required to live on campus?"), and choose to do so, must find their own housing. Off-campus housing is difficult to find near campus at the beginning of the semester because so many other students will already have rented nearby accommodation. If you plan to live off campus, research options before you arrive, and plan to arrive several weeks (BUT NOT MORE THAN 30 DAYS) prior to the start date on your I-20/DS-2019. Please consider the following when planning for off-campus housing:

  • Furnished housing will not be available; all housing will be unfurnished.
  • Landlords will generally require a 12-month contract.
  • "RentCollegePads" provides information on rentals, roommates, and subleases in the campus neighborhood. More information and a link to the website are available from the Oshkosh Student Association website.

  • UW Oshkosh does not provide support in locating off-campus housing. Because off-campus housing involves legal contracts, the Office of International Education cannot advise on or help international students locate off-campus housing.

Moving into Your Residence Hall (student dormitory)

The UW Oshkosh Department of Residence Life has great information for students who are new to UW Oshkosh and moving into their rooms on campus for the first time. View this special residence hall "move-in information for details.

Mailing Personal Items to Your Residence Hall
Meal Plans

Meals are served in campus dining halls and offer a range of food choices. Meal plans allow students to eat on campus when classes are in session. All students who live on campus must purchase a meal plan. There are no exceptions to this policy.


"No Meal Plan" Dates
  • Meal plans do not begin until AFTER international student orientation has ended. This means that you must bring money to cover your meals during your first week on campus (during orientation).
  • Meal plans do not include meals prior to the first day of classes, during university breaks such as Thanksgiving break (November), winter break (either mid-December through early January and the last week of January), spring break (March), and/or summer (even if enrolled in courses). This means that you must bring money to cover your meals during these periods.
Break Periods

Students are not required to purchase meals on campus when classes are not in session or over the summer period, even if enrolled in summer courses. However, students may purchase meals on campus during these periods if they prefer. Students may also elect to eat off campus or make basic meals in the residence halls when classes are not in session.

Health and Safety
Health Insurance

The University of Wisconsin System has negotiated an insurance plan that meets federal requirements for UW System international students and scholars.  All international students and scholars on F- and J- visas and all dependents (spouses & children) on J- visas will be automatically enrolled in the UW System plan.  Fees for this plan will be charged to the student account.

A copy of your insurance policy is available on the Student Assurance Services website.  To find the policy for the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, follow these steps:

  1. Go to the Student Assurance Services website
  2. Choose "Wisconsin" from the drop down list.
  3. Click "go"
  4. Choose "Univ of WI-Oshkosh - International Students"
  5. Click "go"

UW Oshkosh Student Health Center

All students may take advantage of services available from experienced physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, medical technologists and health educators at the Student Health Center.

There is no charge for office visits.

When compared with similar services offered off campus, fees charged at the Student Health Center for lab work, testing, vaccinations, medications and other services are minimal.

Safety on the UW Oshkosh Campus

Students studying in Oshkosh enjoy one of the safest communities in the U.S!

We proactively plan to keep our community and our students safe well into the future and understand that both being safe and feeling safe help create the right environment for students and studying.

Titan Alert
Allows cell phone users to receive weather alerts, updates from the University, and emergency alerts via text messages.

Safe Walk Program
Provides a trained escort to students who may need to walk alone after dark during evening or night hours.

Blue Light Emergency Phones
Are located outside around campus and provide a direct link to the University Police Department.

Emergency Procedures Guide
Available to everyone in the campus community.

Daily Life

You may drive in Wisconsin with your home country's valid license PLUS an International Driving Permit for up to one year. See the Wisconsin Department of Transportation website for more information.

You must obtain your International Driving Permit in your home country before you arrive in the U.S.

After one year, you must meet the licensing requirements as a Wisconsin resident.

Learn more about driving in the U.S.


Summer (June - August)
It may be very warm, with temperatures as high as 85° Fahrenheit (29° Celsius). Pack light, cool clothing.

Winter (November - March)
Wisconsin winters begin in November. Weather can be relatively mild or very cold and can bring a lot of snow or very little snow - every winter is a surprise Temperatures can get as low as –10°Fahrenheit (-23°Celsius). You will need a very warm (heavy) coat, hat, gloves, and boots, but don't buy these at home if your climate is different from Wisconsin's climate! Wait until you arrive so that you can buy clothing that is most appropriate to the climate.

Spring & Fall (April - May; September - October)
Spring and fall in Wisconsin are beautiful and relatively cool. Get ready for outdoor activities!!


Students may open a bank account either during or after orientation (during business hours) at UW Oshkosh.

UW Credit Union offers a safe, convenient banking location on campus. There are also a number of other banking options near campus.

Wire Transfer
Send money to yourself BEFORE you arrive in Oshkosh. Use these details to complete a wire transfer PRIOR TO YOUR ARRIVAL (after arriving in Oshkosh, use the details associated with your own bank account here).

  • Bank Name: US Bank
  • Bank Address: 777 E. Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI  53202
  • UW Oshkosh account number: 182381144183
  • Swift Code/BIC: USBKUS44IMT
  • Include your name and student ID number!
Transportation at UW Oshkosh
There are two options for riding the bus in Oshkosh.
  1. The City of Oshkosh Go Transit bus system provides bus service Monday through Saturday.
    Cost: Free after completing a request for bus tickets
    Without a ticket - One-way ride: $1.00
  2. The UW Oshkosh Titan Transit system provides bus service during evenings and late night.
    Cost: Free with a UW Oshkosh ID
    Without an ID - One-way ride: $1.00
View more ways to navigate the UW Oshkosh campus

Students may work on campus with prior permission from the International Student Adviser for a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session or 40 hours per week during breaks.

While employment is not guaranteed, there are a number of resources available to students who are looking for a job or professional internship.

Per federal regulations, students may work off campus only through the federal government’s “Curricular Practical Training” program.  This requires that the student complete one full academic year before working off campus, work in a field directly associated with the major field of study, and work only after advance permission is granted by the University.


From wireless networks to labs to equipment, we’ve got students covered both in class and outside of class!

Students can also take advantage of technology discounts for personal use:

Academic Advising

Undergraduate Advising Resource Center (UARC)

Degree-seeking students are assigned an Academic Advisor or Faculty Advisor prior to arriving at UW Oshkosh. Students meet with advisors to discuss course options, plan course enrollment, discuss academic needs and create a plan for timely graduation. With proper planning and a close relationship to the advisor, students can maximize their success each semester!

Course Registration

Understand Courses and Enrollment at UW Oshkosh

Sections on “Courses, Grades & Academic Standards” and on “Course & Academic Policies” in our Undergraduate Bulletin are very detailed and important, but can be difficult to understand – even for native speakers of English. The information is new to most students and can seem complicated. But, because this is very important, do your best to read and understand!


Your UW Oshkosh Academic Advisor will enroll you in your first semester courses to ensure that you take the correct courses for your major during your first semester.  During formal orientation at UW Oshkosh, your advisor will meet with you to discuss the courses that you will take.  You will also learn how to enroll in courses for future semesters during orientation.

Academic Calendar

Students may choose to study at UW Oshkosh over a 14-week semester or a 17-week semester (semester plus interim). Students may also enroll over one or both summer sessions.

  • Fall Semester – early September through mid-December
  • Fall Interim – optional three-week course period in January
  • Spring Semester – early February through mid-May
  • Spring Interim – optional three-week course period in May and June
  • Summer I – mid-June through mid-July
  • Summer II – mid-July through early August
Schedule of classes

Many courses offered during the regular semester meet for one hour on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays or for 1.5 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Minimum/Maximum Course Enrollment and Study Hours

All students must maintain full-time enrollment equal to a minimum of 12 credits during EITHER the 14-week OR the 17-week semester. Students may enroll in a maximum of 18 credits without paying additional tuition, or in 19-21 credits with additional tuition fees for the final three credits.

Courses will require a LOT of homework, including reading, writing and group work. For every hour you spend in class, you will spend a MINIMUM of three additional hours outside of class doing homework. In other words, if you are in class for three hours each week, you must plan an additional 9 hours EACH WEEK for homework for that class. Full time enrollment means 12 hours per week in class, plus 36 hours per week of homework. For non-native speakers of English, the number of homework hours is usually much higher.

Fall and Spring Interim Courses

UW Oshkosh students may take three additional credits each semester by enrolling during the optional “interim” periods in fall (January) and spring (May/June). Most, but not all, courses offered during the interim period meet for between 2 to 4 hours per day Monday through Friday.


Some courses are offered as “stand-alone” courses – these courses do NOT require that you complete another course first in order to understand the material.

Other courses are offered “in sequence”. These courses require that you complete another course first; these “first” courses are “pre-requisites” to the later courses. You may NOT enroll in a course which has pre-requisites UNLESS you have completed the prerequisite course AND completion of the prerequisite course is recorded in TitanWeb.

Course Capacity

There is a maximum number of students who can enroll for each course. Therefore, register on or immediately after your enrollment date. If a course is full, no additional students may register. Some departments allow waiting lists; most do not. If a course is full, enroll in an alternative required course.

Course Levels
Each course has a name and a number. The name tells you which department offers the course. The number tells you the level of difficulty.
  • 100-199 1st-year (freshman) courses
  • 200-299 2nd-year (sophomore) courses
  • 300-399 3rd-year (junior) courses
  • 400-499 4th-year (senior) courses
  • 500-700 graduate level courses (undergraduates may not enroll)
Course Catalog vs. Course Time Table

All courses approved for offer at UW Oshkosh are listed in the Course Catalog. The Catalog includes course descriptions and tells you about required pre-requisites. However, it does not tell you WHICH courses are offered each semester.

The Course Time Table in TitanWeb tells you which courses will be offered each term, what days of the week, and what times of the day.

TitanWeb “HELP”

If you have questions, cannot find information or cannot enter information, view the TitanWeb HELP page.

Making Payments
How to Pay

Students may pay UW Oshkosh tuition and student fees in the following ways.

Be sure that you have access to enough money in your first week at UW Oshkosh to pay for all of your tuition and fees, books, housing, meal plan, insurance and personal expenses.

By Credit Card
VISA, MasterCard or American Express payments must be made through Titan Web (use your student ID to log in). If you pay by credit card, you will also pay the credit card company's 2.5% convenience fee.

By Check, Money Order or Demand Draft
Checks, money orders and demand drafts must be drawn on a U.S. bank, be made payable to “The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh” and be hand delivered or mailed to “Cashier’s Office, UW Oshkosh, 800 Algoma Blvd, Oshkosh, WI 54901, USA”

In Cash
Students may pay at the UW Oshkosh Cashier's Office in the main administrative building, Dempsey Hall, after arrival in Oshkosh.  It is not recommended to pay the full bill in cash; students are not advised to carry more than $300 in cash when they travel, if possible, and should use one of the other payment methods available to them whenever possible.

By Travelers Check
Students may cash Travelers Checks at multiple locations in Oshkosh.

By Scholarship
UW Oshkosh tuition scholarships and external scholarships may not show on your Student Account until after you arrive on-campus.

By Wire Transfer
The student should share the following information with the sending bank and request that bank fees on both the SENDING and RECEIVING banks be covered in the transfer:

Bank NameUS Bank
Account Name:University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Bank Account Number: 182381144183
Bank Address: 777 E. Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202, USA
Beneficiary Customer:University of Wisconsin Oshkosh  800 Algoma Blvd. Oshkosh, WI 54901, USA
Student name: First Name/Given Name, Last Name/Family Name
Student ID: Include your 7-digit UW Oshkosh Student ID
Payment Deadlines
See the UW Oshkosh Student Financial Services site for payment deadlines.
If you have a UW Oshkosh student ID, you may wire fees to your student account at any time before the payment deadlines, even if charges don't yet appear on your student account. Watch exchange rates and time your payment to your advantage, if possible. If you pay too much onto your student account, money not used to pay fees can be refunded directly to you upon request.
Why can't I see my insurance fee?

Insurance fees may not show on your Student Account until after you arrive on-campus.

Payment Questions
View this page for answers to frequently asked questions on billing, viewing a bill, sharing a bill with a parent, how to make payments, and more.
Travel to the U.S.
Choosing Travel Dates

Students may enter the US 30 days OR FEWER prior to the start date typed on your I-20 (the immigration document sent to you by UW Oshkosh). YOU MAY NOT ARRIVE IN THE U.S. EARLIER THAN THIS DATE!

Students may move in to their on-campus housing at UW Oshkosh on the official campus move-in dates only or into off campus housing on their lease start date.

Students who arrive in Oshkosh PRIOR TO the official campus move-in date or prior to their lease start date must make arrangements in a local hotel or may contact the UW Oshkosh Gruenhagen Conference Center (+1-920-424-1106) to rent a room on a short-term basis. As of June 2014, the lowest rate available per night was $40.00. Plan an additional $25.00 per day for food.  To reserve a room in the Conference Center, contact Marc Nylen at  or +1 (920) 424-1123.  In your request, include:

  • your date of arrival
  • your date of departure
  • the number of people who will share a room (maximum: 2 per room)
Travel Documents

Carry this phone number with you when you travel. If your flight number changes, or you encounter major issues, contact the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education during business hours. You will also receive an email with a mobile contact number before you travel.


At the U.S. airport or port of entry, you MUST GIVE your I-20 to the border official. The border official will enter information from your document into the immigration database (SEVIS) and then return the document to you. DO NOT lose your document!

Carry these documents with you (not in your checked luggage!) when you travel to the U.S. A border official may ask to see ALL or SOME of these documents.

  • Original Passport
  • U.S. Visa (this is inside your passport)
  • I-20
  • Official UW Oshkosh Admission Letter
  • Financial Documents (bank statements, financial award letters)

Canadians You MUST present your I-20 AND SEVIS I-901 fee receipt to the U.S. Immigration Authorities at the border. Do not simply enter the U.S. as a tourist! You MUST be admitted into the U.S. in F-1  student status.

Airport Pick Up

Outagamie County Regional Airport (ATW) is located just 20 minutes away from UW Oshkosh.  Upon arrival, exit the airplane and follow signs to the "Baggage Claim". Once in the baggage claim area, pick up your luggage and look for a UW Oshkosh Student Driver. Your student driver should either be wearing a blue shirt or will be holding a sign that says "UW Oshkosh". ATW is a very small airport - it will be easy for you and your student driver to find each other!  However, if you have already picked up your luggage AND you cannot find your Student Driver, you will have a cell phone number that you can call. This cell phone number will be sent to you in an email before you travel. Please remember that this cell phone number is only for emergencies or changes to your flight schedule. Your Student Driver can also take you shopping after you check into your residence hall at UW Oshkosh to help you buy things for your room.


Airport pickup is available to you only if you

1. arrive at Outagamie County Regional Airport, and

2. arrive ON the official arrival dates, and 

3. request airport pickup and share flight details at least one week prior to arrival by emailing


If you plan to arrive at a different airport, you should research transportation options from the airport to the city of Oshkosh before booking an airline ticket.  Public transportation is neither efficient nor inexpensive and in many cases is simply not available.  If you choose this option, you must plan, make reservations, and pay for the transportation on your own.


If you plan to arrive with dependents, unfortunately, you will not be eligible for airport pickup by the University.  University vehicle insurance regulations prohibit the University from transporting dependents.  To schedule a ride from the airport, consider these options.

AP and IB Credit Charts
Score levels for credit at UWO

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202
Phone: +1 (920) 424-0775
Fax: +1 (920) 424-0185

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202
Phone: (920) 424-0775
Fax: (920) 424-0185
Emergency Contact

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.