Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home / Study & Intern Abroad/Away / Paperwork: advising for non-sponsored programs

Paperwork: advising for non-sponsored programs


Taking care of business at UW Oshkosh (a guide for students on non-UW Oshkosh-sponsored study abroad programs)

You may be responsible for some or all of the following preparations. Know which ones you are responsible for, and then do them far enough in advance so that minor problems don’t keep you from your study abroad experience! You will certainly have other responsibilities which are not covered below.

Thoroughly review the information below, write down specific questions that you have, and then schedule an advising appointment to review the below information, register with the OIE as a study abroad student, and ensure that you will have all of your bases covered BEFORE applying to your program abroad!

Once you've read through the paperwork, email to make an appointment for advising or to answer any questions you may have.

Study Abroad and Graduation

If you plan to study abroad during your final two to three semesters before graduation, meet with your academic advisor or a graduation examiner to ensure that you will meet UW Oshkosh graduation requirements. Three important things to consider are listed below. Other issues may also arise.


A student may not graduate if an Incomplete appears on the transcript. All incomplete grades must be recorded as a final letter grade before the official end of the term in which the student wishes to graduate. The student may request that an Incomplete be converted to an F grade in order to be allowed to graduate. AFTER GRADUATION, NO GRADE CHANGE IS ALLOWED.

Course End Dates

Study abroad program dates often do not conform to regular university academic course schedules. If you plan to graduate at the end of your study abroad experience, ensure that your study abroad program has an end date ON OR BEFORE the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Official Graduation Date listed in the Academic Calendar.

The Official Transcripts which list the courses you took through your study abroad experience (your UW Oshkosh transcripts if the course is run through UW Oshkosh or transcripts from the organization running your program) MUST LIST THE END DATE FOR THE COURSE/S YOU ARE TAKING AND the end date must be ON OR BEFORE the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Official Graduation Date. For non-UW Oshkosh-sponsored programs, if the transcripts you receive do not list an end date, you must request an official cover letter from the organization issuing your transcripts which gives the official course end date.

All courses IN PROGRESS during your final semester, including courses you are taking abroad which you DO NOT NEED in order to graduate, MUST BE COMPLETED by the Official Graduation Date. There are no exceptions.

15 of your final 30 Credits

Fifteen of your final thirty credits must be earned in coursework taken at UW Oshkosh (coursework offered through UW Oshkosh-sponsored study abroad programs is considered coursework taken at UW Oshkosh for this purpose). If you study abroad THROUGH A NON-UW OSHKOSH-SPONSORED PROGRAM during one of your final semesters, the number of credits which you can transfer back to UW Oshkosh may be limited. You may need to balance this limit with the credit minimums required to use financial aid for study abroad.

DPI Study Abroad Requirement for Foreign Language Teachers

College of Education & Human Services students planning to teach a foreign language after graduation must meet the DPI requirement for study abroad and must have a completed Certificate of Residency. For more information, visit the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures Office on the third floor of Radford.

Program Fees & Budgeting

In addition to advertised program fees, you will be responsible for other expenses before and during your program abroad. It is important to have a budget estimate for these expenses and to bring enough money abroad to cover them.

Keep in mind that evening and night-time entertainment can be considerably more expensive than in Wisconsin. This can become costly, so budget accordingly!

Fill out the cost sheet below and use it to budget for your study abroad program and to apply for Financial Aid.

$ _______Application Fee
$ _______Academic Program Tuition and fees
$_______Health/Accident Insurance
$_______Passport & Passport Pictures (about $150 total)
$_______Resident Permit (or similar)
$_______Accommodations and meals during program breaks
$_______Travel Guide/Text Books
$_______Local Transportation
$_______Program Related Travel
$_______Sight-seeing (transportation, entrance fees, etc.)
$_______Airport Departure Tax
$_______Other: _____________________________________________
$_______Other: _____________________________________________
$_______Other: _____________________________________________
$_______Other: _____________________________________________
$_______Personal Expenses (not including shopping, travel away from your program site, alcohol).
$_______Total to submit to Financial Aid
$_______Shopping & Personal Travel (outside of program requirements)
$_______Total Anticipated Cost

Program Withdrawal

Occasionally, someone goes abroad for a semester or year and an emergency comes up at home, the participant decides that the time away from the U.S. is too long, or the participant decides that the situation in the host country has become unsafe. All participants need to be aware that, although withdrawal part-way through a program is possible, registration for courses upon return to UW Oshkosh probably won’t be. The deadlines for adding courses will still apply to students who return, for whatever reason, and it’s likely that a student who withdraws from a program will have to wait until the following term in order to register for classes. See your program’s refund policy for details on the financial implications of withdrawing early from a program.

Before You Go...

Course and Credit Transfer

When you study abroad/away on a program which does not grant UW Oshkosh credit, you may request that your courses be transfered to UW Oshkosh at the end of your program by soliciting prior approval for course and credit transfer. Transfer without prior approval IS NOT AUTOMATIC and IS NOT GUARANTEED.

Follow the instructions on the Transfer Credit Prior Approval form to have your courses pre-approved for transfer.

Financial Aid, Grants & Scholarships

Review the extensive information available to you on Financial Aid, Grants & Scholarships BEFORE you meet with a Study Abroad/Away Advisor and BEFORE you meet with a Financial Aid Advisor to discuss your non-sponsored program.

Program Application

Be sure to go through all program application materials thoroughly when you first receive them and highlight or make a list of all of the forms you will need to fill out, payments you will need to make, and tasks you will need to complete. Study abroad applications typically involve a lot of paperwork, several payment deadlines and a bit of work on your end, and you'll want to make sure that you've completed everything on time so that you are not dropped from your program.

Many study abroad applications require the signature of someone either from your financial aid office, study abroad office, academic advising, credit transfer coordinator or faculty advisor. Often the forms ask for the signature of a person with a particular title. However, you should obtain the signature of the person at UW Oshkosh responsible for verifying the information asked for on your form. If your form asks for verification related to:

  • credit transfer, it should be signed by the Transfer Coordinator in the Admissions Office
  • academic standing, it should be signed by someone in registration (located in the advising office, 1st floor Dempsey)
  • disciplinary records, it should be signed by someone in the Dean of Students Office
  • financial aid, it should be signed by someone in the financial aid office

If you need to provide proof of enrollment for your application, you'll need to obtain a Certificate of Enrollment.

Certificate of University Enrollment
Log on to Titan Web and follow the instructions to obtain an Enrollment Verification.

Academic Leave of Absence

If you plan to be away from UW Oshkosh for either the fall or spring semester, or both, and you are on a non-UW Oshkosh-sponsored program, you must submit the on-line Academic Leave of Absence Form electronically. This form will allow you to register for courses for the following semester and return to the university without applying for readmission. The form states that you may remain on leave for no more than one semester, but an exception will be made for students studying abroad for a full academic year. Simply fill out the form showing that you will be gone for a full year, and the exception will be granted automatically.

Accommodation at UW Oshkosh (Residence Hall Contracts)

If you are already in a Residence Life contract for the time period you plan to be abroad, contact your Hall Director to let him/her know you plan to be studying abroad!!!  If you plan to live in a residence hall after returning to UW Oshkosh, contact Residence Life before you travel to let them know that you will be participating in a semester-long study abroad program and/or that you will need a room when you return.

Purchase Health Insurance

Review the extensive information available to you on Health Insurance BEFORE you meet with a Study Abroad/Away Advisor to discuss your non-sponsored program.

While You're Away...

UW Oshkosh Course Enrollment (for courses you'll take AFTER return)

While away, don’t forget to register for the UW Oshkosh courses you plan to take upon return as soon as your enrollment period opens! Wisconsin law protects student information from being shared with others. This means that course registration must be done by you, unless you arrange in advance for someone else to register for you. Know your registration date before you leave!

Talk to your academic advisor about registering for courses BEFORE you leave so that you have someone to contact who understands your situation if problems arise. It's helpful if your advisor knows where you are going, when you will be gone and what courses you will be transferring back to UW Oshkosh.

NOTE: TitanWeb is down every night - perhaps the middle of the day where you are!

UW Oshkosh Interim

If you return from abroad in time for UW Oshkosh interim courses, it is important to note that although you may take a UW Oshkosh interim course, you will pay additional tuition for the credits earned over the interim period. This is because you will be paying a fee for your study abroad program and you will not pay any UW Oshkosh tuition. Therefore, if you take any UW Oshkosh courses, you will need to pay separately for these credits.

To Complete Your Course Transfer

Before you depart from abroad, you must request that your host institution send your transcripts directly to the Transfer Student Coordinator in the UW Oshkosh Admissions Office. Do not send your transcript to the Office of International Education. The UW Oshkosh OIE cannot request transcripts on your behalf and you cannot receive credit at UW Oshkosh without the official transcript.

Transfer Student Coordinator 
Admissions Office
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd
Oshkosh, WI 54901

NOTE: When the Transfer Student Coordinator receives your transcipt, it will be matched to the Transfer Credit Prior Approval Form you completed during the application process for your program. If you did not take the courses you listed on your prior approval form, there is no guarantee that your courses will transfer. If you took courses which won't transfer, this will retroactively affect your full-time status as reported by UW Oshkosh and may affect your financial aid.

You should consider ordering a copy of your host institution transcripts for yourself if possible.

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202
General: National Student Exchange: Phone: (920) 424-0775 · Fax: (920) 424-0185
Hours: M-F  7:45am - 4:30pm 
Emergency Contact

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram 

Global Scholar.jpg

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.