Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home / Study & Intern Abroad/Away / 1 - Get Started / Passport


Apply for your PASSPORT BOOK as soon as you know that you'll be studying abroad, or at the latest by the "STEP III" study abroad/away application deadline listed in the web guide for YOUR program.

Do NOT apply for a passport CARD only!  Passport cards are valid only for return to the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.  These cards CANNOT be used when flying between these countries and the U.S. 

Passport Application - Typed or Handwritten
Complete your passport application by typing your information in on line BEFORE going to apply in person (see the passport instructions for details).
Apply for Your First U.S. Passport
  1. Complete your passport application on line (for first-time passport applications, you'll need form DS-11).  NOTE: Applicants for U.S. passports enter personal information on line and then print the finished form, which includes a 2D barcode. Passport application forms completed using the on-line data entry system must still be submitted in person per the instructions below, along with accompanying documents.
  3. Do not sign the form.
  4. Go to your hometown courthouse or to a post office in person.  NOTE: The courthouse in Oshkosh no longer accepts passport applications.  You may apply at the post office in Oshkosh on 20th Ave (near the airport) or in your hometown. Starting October 1st, 2018, you must make an appointment to apply for a passport at the Oshkosh Post Office.
  5. You must present ALL of the following when applying for a U.S. passport:
  • your driver's license;
  • a photocopy of your driver's license;
  • a professional passport photo (you can have these taken on campus at Titan Central);
  • a certified birth certificate - with the raised seal and the full names of the applicant's parents;
  • a photocopy of your birth certificate
  • a check (with your pre-printed address on it) or money order made out to the U.S. Department of State for $110;
  • cash or a separate check (with your pre-printed address on it) for $35 which will cover the processing fee.
Getting to the Oshkosh Post Office
The main Oshkosh Post Office is located at 1025 W 20th Ave.  If you don't have a car, you can use your UW Oshkosh Titan ID to ride the bus for free.  The Post Office is located on bus line #8 (the purple line).  Use the City of Oshkosh GO Transit website to calculate ride times and find bus stops.
What should I do when I receive my passport?

Immediately sign it and fill in page four.

Enter your passport details into your on-line study abroad application (passport tab).

What should I do if I already have a passport?
Check to make sure it is valid for at least six months PAST YOUR ANTICIPATED RETURN DATE FROM ABROAD.  If you need to renew your passport, follow the instructions on the U.S. Department of State's website for renewing a passport
What if I am not a U.S. citizen?
If you will return to the U.S. after your study abroad program, check to make sure your passport is valid PAST YOUR ANTICIPATED RETURN DATE FROM ABROAD.  If you need to renew your passport, follow the instructions on the website of your Embassy or Consulate.  If you have a student visa in your passport, contact the OIE at to make our office aware that you are replacing your passport.
How can I track my passport application?
Check on the status of your passport application here.
How do I ask questions about my passport application?
Use this contact information to ask questions about your passport application

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202**
General: Hessen, Germany Exchange:

Phone: (920) 424-0775 · Fax: (920) 424-0185
Hours: M-F  7:45am - 4:30pm 
**Staff are currently working remotely, please utilize the emails and phone number above to contact us!

Emergency Contact Information

Global Scholar.jpg

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.