Music Industry (Music Business & Recording Technology)
Students who love music and are seeking a career in the music industry other than the traditional degrees in teaching or performance can choose the music industry major. With one of the first Music Industry Programs in the United States, founded by Wally Messner in 1974, UW Oshkosh graduates have established careers in the record, film, video, multimedia and marketing industries across the country. Our students have won the Student Music Awards presented by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences for excellence in the recording arts.
The major offers three program options: Music Business, Recording Technology and a double major that combines the two. The programs include a substantial core of music courses of approximately 70 credits and lead to the Bachelor of Music degree.
Check out more current information on our Music Industry Blog site!
(Nathan Edwards) Director of Recording Technology
The Recording Technology option prepares students for careers in recording and post-production within the multi-billion dollar music industry. This program offers a complete recording facility including updated studios featuring Pro Tools and Logic software, a large-format Sony mix console, a vintage and modern microphone selection, and extensive digital and analog signal processing tools. The studios serve as hands-on learning centers with training in all aspects of the recording process.
Courses cover the full spectrum of audio: The current and future landscape of the music industry, general concepts of sound, microphones and placement, recording and mixing techniques, digital audio interfaces, MIDI production, video post-production, live sound, studio maintenance, and mastering.
The Music Business option prepares students for a broad variety of careers in the music industry including promotion and marketing, sales and manufacturing, arts administration, publishing, and live entertainment, all while building their networking skills within the industry.
The Music Industry program at UW Oshkosh is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
MUSIC BUSINESS/RECORDING TECHNOLOGY
This combined option blends courses in Music Business and Recording Technology. It is a popular choice for students interested in both Business and Technology in Music and is designed to allow students to graduate after four years of course study and an internship in the Music Industry.
Graduates of the UW Oshkosh Music Industry programs have found success in a broad range of careers, including the following:
Recent Student Internships (2016-2017)
- Pandora Radio
- Thirty Tigers (Music Marketing)
- International Bluegrass Music Association
- Dells Palace Theater
- CONAN (TBS show)
- Yamaha Corporation, California
- Side 3 Studios, Denver
- RiverRock Studios, Minneapolis
- Austin City Limits
- Summerfest, Milwaukee
- Skylight Music Theatre, Milwaukee
- Pixel Pro Audio, Appleton
- North Coast Productions, Green Bay
- Aura Media Services, St. Paul
- Organica Recording, St. Paul
- Winterland Studios, Minneapolis
Careers in Music Business - Nashville
- Glen Campbell Publishing, creative director
- Criterion Records, song plugger
- Country Q, recording studio manager
- House of Blues Studios, recording assistant
Careers in Arts Management
- Green Bay Symphony, arts management
- Minnesota Symphony, arts management
- Weidner Center, arts management
Careers in the Music Industry
- AKG Acoustics, Director of Sales for the United States and Mexico
- Regional Sales Manager for AKG, JBL, dbx, Soundcraft, UREI, Orban, Quested and Turbosound
- Sweetwater Sound Inc., Executive Vice President of Sales and Chief Sales Officer
- American-Appleton, entertainment center sales manager
Careers in Music Publishing (Printing)
- Hal Leonard Publishers, music printing and sales management
- J.W. Pepper, music sales manager
Careers in Instrument Music Sales
- Heid Music, sales manager
- Beihoff Music, sales representative
- White House Music, sales representative
- Ward Brodt, instrument sales
- Musicians Repair and Supply, instrument sales
Careers with Instrument Manufacturers
- G. Leblanc Music Corporation, product control and sales representative
- Yamaha Music Corporation, sales representative
Careers in Instrument Repair
- Beihoff Music, instrument repair
- Heid Music, instrument repair
- Mike's Music, instrument repair
- Independent studio owner
- Independent touring musicians and/or live sound engineers
- Sound Design for Gaming (Riot Games)
Our program at UW Oshkosh is a member of NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) and NAMBI (NAMM Affiliated Music Business Institutions).