Universal Borrowing (UB) Instructions
Use Universal Borrowing (UB) to borrow items that we don't own at Polk Library or those that are currently checked out. Don't forget to check My Account often after making a request to track its status.
Please see our video tutorial on requesting materials through Universal Borrowing or follow the instructions below:
Locating your Item
- From the Polk Library home page, click on the Articles, Books & More search tab and change the dropdown menu to the right from "Everything" to "Books & Media UW System".
- Enter in your search terms and click the "Search" button.
- The next screen will display your results. After you've found a result you wish to borrow, click the "Locations" tab to make sure UW Oshkosh doesn't already own it.
- If Oshkosh does not have your item, next click the "Request" tab, and sign in with your NetID and password.
- Once signed in, select the library you wish to borrow the item from, then the library you want to pick up the item from: this by default is Oshkosh, but if you live closer to another UW System library, you may select one of those instead.
- If you need the item by a particular date, change the "Last interest date" to reflect this, then click the orange "Create UB Request" button.
- A notification should appear stating that the request has been successful. Contact us for help if it was unsuccessful - email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 920-424-7316.
- Click My Account from the toolbar at the top of screen to view your request.
Checking your Requests
To track the status of your request . . .
- Log in to My Account, with your NetID and password.
- Locate the section entitled Requests.
- Materials generally arrive within 2 to 5 business days.
- Materials will be held for pick up at the Circulation Desk for 10 days.
- Check My Account frequently to determine the status of your request.
- Accepted/Printed means that the library is working on processing your request.
- In transit means your requested item is on its way to your designated pickup location.
- Available means your requested item is ready to be picked up. A notice will also be e-mailed to your UW Oshkosh email address after your materials arrive.
- Requests can be cancelled by clicking Cancel, located on the right side of the screen in the Requests menu.