Fees & Lost Library Items
Loss of library privileges
UW Oshkosh Students and Staff: Borrowing privileges are suspended when fees exceed $200.
Community & Guest users: Borrowing privileges are suspended when fees exceed $10.
Users are responsible for all materials checked out on their TitanCards and should point out noticeable damage BEFORE checking out any material. Library materials that are returned damaged are subject to charges based on the cost of repairing the damaged item or on standard replacement charge if the item cannot be repaired.
Mutilation of library materials is punishable under Wisconsin State Statute 943.61. The University will prosecute in cases of purposeful theft or damage.
For lost items or materials too damaged to repair, the standard replacement fee is $100 per item. This standard replacement fee has been agreed upon and implemented by all UW System Libraries. In some situations the replacement fee may be reduced .
Some items, such as laptops and equipment, have higher replacement fees.
Most materials have a 28-day grace period.
Polk Reserve & Halsey Reserve: Late fees are $0.60 to $3.00 per hour. Fees for overdue laptops are 5 cents per minute overdue ($3 per hour).
Charges for materials not returned
As a general rule, Polk Library does not charge library users unless absolutely necessary. In the event that materials are not returned, we take these steps to ensure that our materials remain available to other users:
- At 4 days prior to the due date, a courtesy reminder is emailed. You should renew or return items now. Notices are sent as a courtesy. Failure to receive notices does not change responsibility for fees incurred. Due dates are stamped on the card in the back of each item and/or can be viewed in My Account. If the item cannot be located, please contact the library at (920) 424-7316 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On an item's due date, a reminder to return or renew items is sent.
- At 21 days overdue, an overdue notice is sent alerting users that the item will soon be considered lost if not returned.
- At 28 days overdue, an item is considered lost and a lost item replacement bill is sent. The standard item replacement fee is $100 per item. Your library record will be blocked if you have two lost items on your account. This means you cannot check out items from Polk Library, other UW System Libraries, or Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
- At 6 weeks overdue your university registration is now blocked. This means you cannot add/drop classes or receive transcripts.
- At 10 weeks overdue a UW Oshkosh invoice is sent. The invoice must be paid in full at the UW Oshkosh Cashier’s Office in order to clear your university and library blocks (bring your receipt of payment to the Circulation Desk to ensure that the blocks are removed).
- If a lost item is returned before an invoice is processed (at 10 weeks overdue), the lost item replacement fee will be waived.
- If a lost item is kept overdue more than 10 weeks and a UW Oshkosh invoice is issued, invoices must be paid in full to reinstate library and registration privileges. Invoices cannot be cancelled and once paid, fees cannot be reimbursed if the items are later located.