Housing Information

University housing placement is guaranteed on our main campus. Utilities and high speed internet access are included in the room rental. Please watch this introductory Video about UWO Housing explained by an International Student.


International Student Services
Dempsey Hall, Room 201
+1 (920) 424-2283


South Gruenhagen houses students on floors to 4-10 and is home to many different living environments.

Within South Gruenhagen you will have access to a kitchen, laundry facility, study spaces in the floor lounges, a TV lounge, computer lab, and much more.

South Gruenhagen beds may be lofted with the use of College Products lofts. For pricing and more information, please see their website.


Get Started

Who is required to live on campus?

Students are required to live on campus unless they meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • They have successfully earned at least 48 credits;
  • They are at least 21 years of age;
  • They have lived in a residence hall for four semesters;
  • They are married; or
  • They are a US Military Veteran.

Students who plan to live with a parent or an established host family whose home is located within 45 miles (approximately 70 kilometers) may appeal for an exemption to this policy.

How do you register for housing?

Students will receive information on how to reserve a room after admission to UW Oshkosh. Students may not reserve a room until AFTER admission to UW Oshkosh.

To reserve housing, you will be asked to pay a housing deposit. Your deposit will only be refunded if you can prove that your visa has been denied. You will not be refunded the deposit if you decide not to enroll at UW Oshkosh.

When do you move into your residence hall?

International students are eligible for an early move-in date. Admitted international students will receive exact date and times for move in before the start of the semester.

How do I mail personal items to my residence hall?

DO NOT SEND ITEMS TO YOUR RESIDENCE HALL BEFORE MOVING IN. Dormitory addresses and mailing formats can be found on this Department of Residence Life website.

What type of insurance policy should I get?

The University of Wisconsin System has negotiated an insurance plan that meets federal requirements for UW System international students and scholars.  All international students and scholars on F- and J- visas and all dependents (spouses & children) on J- visas will be automatically enrolled in the UW System plan. Fees for this plan will be charged to the student account.

A copy of your insurance policy is available on the Anthem Student Advantage website

Can I live in off-campus housing?

Students who are eligible to live off campus and choose to do so, must find their own housing. Off-campus housing is difficult to find near campus at the beginning of the semester because so many other students will already have rented nearby accommodation.

If you plan to live off campus, research options before you arrive, and plan to a few weeks (BUT NOT MORE THAN 30 DAYS) prior to the start date on your I-20/DS-2019. Please consider the following when planning for off-campus housing:


  • Furnished housing will not be available; all housing will be unfurnished.
  • Landlords will generally require a 12-month contract.
  • Information on rentals, roommates, and subleases in the campus neighborhood are available on the Oshkosh Student Association website.
  • UW Oshkosh does not provide support in locating off-campus housing. Because off-campus housing involves legal contracts, International Student Services cannot advise on or help international students locate off-campus housing.

Student rooms

Each residence hall room has:

  • A twin bed mattress (33 inches x 80 inches) Because the bed size is not standard, don’t bring bed sheets with you. Buy your bed sheets after you arrive in Oshkosh. You will also need a lightweight blanket and a heavy blanket (quilt) for cold weather.
  • Desk with chair, dresser, bookshelf, mirror, curtains, ceiling lights
  • Microwave, small refrigerator
  • Smoke detector
  • Cable TV hook-up (not the TV, just a place to plug in a TV to get cable)
  • Telephone (optional)
  • Carpet and wastebasket


International Student Services
Dempsey Hall, Room 201

+1 (920) 424-2283