You are here: Home / Certificate and Degree Programs / Bulletins / 2014-2016 Graduate Bulletin / Policies / Registration Procedures

Registration Procedures

Non-Degree Student Classifications

There are several categories for graduate students not seeking a degree.  Non-degree students must have earned a baccalaureate or master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. 

Certificate/Achievement Program Student
Accepted into a graduate achievement or certificate program.  The number of credits in which the student enrolls will vary by program.  A student may also be admitted to a degree program simultaneously. 
Special Student
Enrolled for up to 12 graduate credits without being admitted to a degree program. No more than 12 credits earned as a Graduate Special student may later apply to degree requirements, including graduates of the UW Oshkosh Professional Education Program (PEP). If the student does not intend to enroll in a degree program and/or wishes to enroll for more than 12 graduate credits, it is possible to register with one of the following classifications: 
Guest Student
Admitted in full standing to a graduate program at another institution and taking coursework at UW Oshkosh with the intent of transferring the credits to his/her home institution. 
Non-Degree Student
Completed 12 credits as a Special Student; or has earned a master's degree at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh or elsewhere; or has requested this classification to permit continued graduate registration but does not intend to earn a degree. Credits earned in this category might not apply to a degree.

Registration For Graduate Classes

  1. TitanWeb registration is the primary method to register for classes (  Login to access the system and use the tutorials (Help & Guides, Student Help), FAQs, and other instructions to utilize this registration system.  When needed, registration forms are available from the Graduate Studies Office, Dempsey Hall 337, (920) 424-1223, or the Graduate Studies web site. Completed registration forms can be either mailed, faxed, scanned or dropped-off for processing.
  2. Some students are required to have signature approval on the registration form to enroll. Generally approval is obtained from the program coordinator (adviser). Courses, such as thesis, field projects, field reports, clinical papers, capstone, independent study and comprehensive examinations also require the Director of Graduate Services approval.

Thesis, clinical paper, field project, capstone and field report registration are open only to students who have filed an approved proposal with the Graduate Studies Office and have been admitted to candidacy. Independent study registration requires the filing of an Independent Study Contract form and proposal. The above categories require the approval of the Director of Graduate Services.

Some students may be required to obtain permission from the Director of Graduate Services to register. Among those are persons who have not satisfied conditions specified at the time of the original enrollment and those who have specific restrictions associated with a probationary and/or readmission status. Other registration "stops" may include non-payment of fees, overloads, etc.


Faculty/Staff Registration

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh faculty and academic staff members may enroll in graduate courses for credits or audit and should follow the University registration procedures.

Members of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh faculty and teaching academic staff cannot be admitted to graduate degree programs offered by the department or division related to their teaching appointment. This policy is intended to prohibit the earning of a University of Wisconsin Oshkosh master's degree within a given department only and is not intended to discourage the professional development of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh faculty and staff. The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh faculty and academic staff members may apply to graduate programs outside of the areas of their teaching assignments and will follow the admissions procedures same as any non-employee degree‑seeking students.


Adding A Course

A student may add courses as follows:

A student wanting to add courses after the deadlines "with course instructor signature required" must complete a Appeal For Late Add Form describing relevant extenuating circumstances. This form is available in the Registrar’s Office at the Registration Center Desk, Dempsey Hall 130 and must be approved by the Director of Graduate Services before any course can be added. The above add policies also apply to thesis, clinical paper, field project, capstone, field report and independent study.


Dropping A Course

A student may drop courses as follows:

Course drops prior to the above time periods will not be reflected on the student's transcript.

A student who wishes to drop a course after the above deadlines must complete an Appeal For Late Drop Form describing relevant extenuating circumstances.  Course drops processed after the deadline will result in a "W" grade on the transcript. This form is available in the Registrar’s Office at the Registration Center Desk, Dempsey Hall 130 or through a graduate program office, and must be approved by the Director of Graduate Services.

Some course drops approved through the late drop appeal procedure before summer 1999 may be reflected with a “W” (withdrawal) on the student’s transcript.

Note: Students who have already completed a course during the semester and wish to leave the University should drop remaining courses rather than withdraw.  If a semester has started and a student would like to drop his or her remaining/only course, he or she would complete a term withdrawal form (see below).

The above drop policies also apply to thesis, field project, field report, capstone, clinical paper and independent study.  The drop policy also pertains to changes from credit to audit.

Students should consult the Fee/Refund Schedule for refunds and charges, as the fee policy does not coincide with academic policy. Questions about fees, refunds and charges should be directed to the Student Accounts Office, Dempsey Hall 236, (920) 424-1332.

Withdrawal From A Course/The University

Withdrawal is a complete severance of course attendance from the University.  An additional request to the graduate program and the Graduate Studies Office must be made if a student wishes to withdraw from a program.  A student may request withdrawal after the opening day of classes in any semester by completing a Semester Withdrawal Form, available in the Registrar’s Office at the Registration Center Desk, Dempsey Hall 130, during the following withdrawal periods:

Students seeking to withdraw after these periods must complete a Semester Withdrawal Form and a Appeal For Late Drop Form for approval by the appropriate graduate program coordinator and from the director of graduate services, Office of Graduate Studies.  Also, students can send an email from their campus email account to  In the content of the email the student must include their full name, student ID number, and term from which they would like to withdraw.  Upon withdrawal a designation of "W" is noted on a student's record.  If the request is not approved, grades will be placed on the student's record as assigned by instructors.

Note: Withdrawal does not remove the obligation for costs incurred by a student during a semester.