You are here: Home / Audience Navigation / Current Student / I. Manuscript Preparation

I. Manuscript Preparation

Dissertation and Thesis Preparation

This information provides an overview of the preparation process for a dissertation or thesis.

  1. Before a student may register for dissertation or thesis credits, they must be in full/good academic standing and have completed their Admission to Candidacy.  Registration may be completed before a student submits their Research Proposal Form.
    Note: if certain conditions exist (e.g. an "Incomplete" (I) grade), registration may be delayed.

  2. The student selects a committee chair/advisor and members as appropriate from their graduate degree program.

  3. The student prepares a short proposal and defends to the selected committee, depending on the program.

  4. If human participation, animal care or use, or biohazardous material is involved in research or preparation, the student is required to obtain approval from the Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Participants (IRB), the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and/or the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).

  5. Complete a Research Proposal Form and a 250-word proposal or Abstract to their research committee and graduate program coordinator.  After the research committee members and graduate program coordinator have approved and signed the form, the student should forward it to the Office of Graduate Studies. If applicable, include a copy of the IRB, IACUC, and/or IBC approval. 

    If after the Research Proposal Form is approved, and there is a change in any of the following, the student should submit a memo listing these changes to the Office of Graduate Studies.  This memo should be signed by the student, advisor or committee chair, and the graduate program coordinator:

    • Change in Dissertation or Thesis Committee Membership

    • Change in Title of the Dissertation or Thesis

    • Change in Course Registration (i.e. change from thesis to capstone; this may require additional documentation, including an Add/Drop Card or Appeal to Late Add/Drop)

    • Change in Proposed Research - This may require resubmission for IRB, IACUC, and/or IBC review.  

  6. After all of the above is complete, the student may begin their research and writing their dissertation or thesis manuscript.