You are here: Home / About Us / FAQs


(click on the "+" to view the answers)

For any other questions not answered below, or for other information you might need, please contact the Graduate Studies Office and we'll be happy to help.


Pre-Admission Questions


Am I allowed to take classes prior to being admitted to graduate school at UW Oshkosh?

Some graduate programs allow students to take classes prior to being admitted. For more information regarding which classes might available, speak to the graduate coordinator of the program(s) in which you are interested.


Who should I speak to if I'm interested in a specific graduate program?

Speak to the graduate coordinator of the program(s) in which you have interest.


Where can I find contact information for the graduate program coordinators?

Please visit our CONTACT US page for a list of graduate coordinators and our Graduate Studies staff.


Where can I find tuition and fees information?

Please visit the UW Oshkosh Student Financial Services website for up-to-date information on tuition and fees.


How many credits can I transfer into a UW Oshkosh degree program?

No more than nine (9) credits may be transferred from other institutions. If students are already in a program, a written request must be submitted first to the program, then the program will request approval from the Graduate Studies Office. For some transfer courses, syllabi or other course materials may need to be presented for transfer consideration. Official transfer credit transcripts must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies from the transfer university indicating the requested transfer credits and grades. Students are also advised to speak with their program coordinator to determine what credits will transfer.


General Questions


Are Non-degree/Special Students eligible for financial aid, scholarships or grants?

In general, Non-degree/Special Students are not eligible for financial aid, scholarships or grants. Usually, students must be admitted to a program to receive financial aid.


What constitutes a full-time graduate student?

Graduate Students are considered full-time if they are enrolled in nine (9) credits for the fall or spring semester or at least five (5) credits in the summer session. If a student has a graduate assistantship, they are considered full-time with six (6) credits during the fall or spring semester and three (3) credits in the summer session.


How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?

To apply for a graduate assistantship, visit our Graduate Assistantship page for more information about GA's and how to apply.


Are Non-degree/Special Students eligible to apply for graduate assistantships?

Non-degree/Special Students are not eligible to apply for graduate assistantships. For eligibility requirements, please visit our Graduate Assistantship page.


What is Admission to Candidacy and Verification of Program Study?

Admission to Candidacy and Verification of Program Study are the points in time while completing a degree or certificate program that a student finalizes his or her agreed upon plan of study with their graduate degree certificate program area and the Office of Graduate Studies. The Candidacy and Verification forms each list all the course work a student has taken and will take to complete a degree or certificate. A student must be in academic full-standing to have their Candidacy or Verification approved. Some individual graduate programs have program-specific requirements to have the Candidacy or Verification approved.  More information can be found on our Candidacy and Verification web page.


What are the housing options available to graduate students?

While UW Oshkosh does not have housing identified specifically for graduate students, there are options available on- and off-campus.  A short but not the only list of resources can be found on our Housing page.


How can I obtain an unofficial transcript?

Unofficial transcripts can be viewed and printed via a student's TitanWeb student record account.  Official transcripts can be ordered through the Registrar's Office.


How can I find out if my class has been canceled due to weather or other emergencies?

In the event of bad weather, contact your professor to see if your class has been canceled.  In the event the entire University is affected by inclement weather or other emergencies, information will be available on the University homepage, the University Weather Line at (920) 424-0000, or the Campus Safety and Emergency Information page.


Where can I find more information about my TitanWeb student record or TitanApps - email, calendar, google drive?

Go here for more information about TitanWeb.  Information about the University's TitanApps suite is available here from the campus IT website.


What is the mailing address for the UW Oshkosh Office of Graduate Studies?

UW Oshkosh Graduate Studies
800 Algoma Blvd., Dempsey Hall, Room 345
Oshkosh, WI 54901


Degree Completion/Graduation Questions


What is the GPA requirement for maintaining good standing academic standing in graduate studies?

At least a B average (3.00 or better on a 4.00 scale) must be earned on all work (cumulative) attempted as a graduate student, and also on all work which applies to a graduate degree or certificate.  Some programs have more stringent academic requirements.


What is the GPA requirement for graduating with a degree or certificate in graduate studies?

At the time of graduation, a B average (3.00 or better on a 4.00 scale) or higher must be earned on all work (cumulative) attempted as a graduate student.  No grades of F may be counted toward a graduate degree or certificate.  Some programs have more stringent grade and grade point average requirements as it pertains to earning a degree/certificate.


How long can I take to complete my master's or doctorate degree or certificate program?

In general, all academic requirements that apply to a doctoral or master's degree at UW Oshkosh must be completed within a seven-year time limit.  However, some programs have a four-year limit or five-year limit.  Certificates are to be completed within four years.  The start of the time period begins with the date of the term in which the first degree or certificate course was taken, including transfer credits if counted toward the program. The time period ends with the date the final requirement is completed. 


Can I get an extension on the time to finish my program? If so, what do I do to request an extension?

An extension of the time to complete a degree or certificate may be requested. Students must fill out a Request for Extension of Time to Degree Completion form, submit it to his or her program coordinator for a recommendation then send the form to the Office of Graduate Studies for review and approval.


How do I apply for graduation?

Information about and the application for graduation are available online. If you have any questions about applying to graduate, contact your graduate program office or the Office of Graduate Studies.


How soon will I receive my diploma (degree) or certificate (certificate) after graduation?

Conferral review and posting of a graduate degree or certificate to the transcript takes several weeks after the official end of the semester which is the last day of the 17-week term. The diploma will be mailed approximately four- to six-weeks after the official graduation date of the semester.


What can I do if I need verification of my degree but it's not yet posted on my transcript?

If all course work has been completed for the degree, contact the Office of Graduate Studies to request a Degree Completion Verification Letter.