Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How is the Global Scholar Certificate different from a minor?

You must declare the Global Scholar Certificate, like you would a minor; and, as with a minor, your transcript will show that you completed requirements to be a Global Scholar. However, unlike a minor, the Global Scholar Certificate is not part of any one college, department, or program. Global courses are taught in many disciplines and in different colleges. This means that you can decide which GS courses work with your major and your interests regardless of what college you belong to (Letters and Science, Nursing, Education and Human Services, or Business). 

Why should I become a Global Scholar? What is the advantage?

The Global Scholar Certificate is for those students who want to set themselves apart and distinguish themselves at graduation, on their transcripts, and in the job market as having personally invested in the global and cultural knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to navigate a complicated and interdependent world as a part of their course of study. Becoming a Global Scholar takes initiative and self-direction – it’s not for everyone.

What does “self-directed” mean?

Self-directed means that you are responsible for charting your own path – you decide whether and how you will complete the Global Scholar option. Once you declare the Certificate, you can track your progress on your Star report. Your UARC or faculty advisor (for your major) can help you chart your path – ultimately you are responsible! You might want to print out this Global Scholar Planning Sheet to help you plan your path.

When should I officially declare the option?

It is recommend that you declare as early as possible so that it is easier to track your progress. You should declare prior to your global experience. You can “un-declare” later if you decide you do not or cannot complete the option. See a UARC advisor.

What is the difference between GC and GS?

GC stands for Global Citizenship – these are general education courses taken in USP (100 and 200 level courses). GS stands for Global Scholar – these are upper division courses (300 and 400 level) taken in your major or another department.

How do I find GC or GS courses?

Global Courses are designated in Titan Web with a GC (Global Citizenship for 100/200 level USP courses) or a GS (Global Scholar for 300/400 level courses). You can use these initials in a keyword search in the schedule of classes.

What kinds of courses are offered as GC and GS?

Check out this sample list of courses. Not all courses are offered every semester. If you don’t see a course offered on Titan Web that you would like to take, contact the relevant department or program to see when it will be offered next (a list of departments / majors can be found in the Undergraduate Bulletin or by search on the UWO website).

Can transfer students become Global Scholars?

Yes, Students who transfer to UW Oshkosh with fewer than 15 credits will complete USP general education requirements just as incoming freshmen do. These students will take a required Global Citizenship (GC) course, which is the foundation for becoming a Global Scholar.

Students who transfer in with more than 15 credits may, or may not need, to complete the required the GC course depending on how far along they were in their general education when they transferred. If you need to complete GC it will show up on your Advising Report. 

A maximum of six Global Scholar transfer credits may be accepted as counting toward the GS Certificate. 


I didn’t take the GC (Global Citizenship) requirement, I took an NW (non-Western) course. Can I still become a Global Scholar?

Yes, NW designated courses taken as part of USP (Fall 2013-Spring 2016) automatically count as fulfilling the GC requirement. This will show up on your Advising Report when you declare the Global Scholar Certificate. 

I am a graduate student, can I become a Global Scholar?

Global Scholar is an undergraduate distinction.

Do I have to study abroad as my hands-on global experience?

No! There are many ways to engage with global learning – see the Global Experience Requirement tab for some options.

I want to study abroad, who do I talk to?

Make an appointment with the Office of International Education to explore your options. Be sure to ask about how to finance your experience and how to choose a trip that complements your educational goals.

Are there options to take courses in the summer?

Check the course schedule on Titan Web to find summer classes. Global Scholar courses have a GS designation. Summer is also a good time to engage in a hands-on global experience such as study abroad or service learning.

How can I get more help?

Start with your UARC or faculty advisor – they can help point you to additional resources; and check out the Campus Connections tab. For additional help or “hard to answer” questions contact the Global Scholar Council.

How can I meet other students who are completing the Global Scholar Certificate? Is there a student club?

The Global Student Organization exists and works in tandem with similar organizations: the International Business Club, International Student Association, and various world language clubs, such as Chinese Club and Japanese Club, etc. To volunteer with these student organizations, check out Titan Link and the Oshkosh Student Association (OSA).