Wisconsin DPI Requirements for Teachers

General Requirements for Global Languages Certification

The teaching major or minor in a language has six requirements to be met:

  1. Competency in using the language
  2. Understanding of the culture
  3. Understanding of basic linguistics and second language acquisition
  4. Methodology (instruction and assessment)
  5. An immersion experience (often satisfied through study abroad; alternatives can be approved)
  6. A measure of the candidate’s oral proficiency
Certification for Teaching Global Languages in Elementary School (GLES)

The GLES teacher needs to be certified in the specific language and at the grade level(s) being taught. Licenses are offered based on the recommendation for certification from an approved program at a college or university. Most institutions offer global language certification for grades 6-12. Licenses are also available, depending on the institution, for grades 1-6,* 1-9,* 9-12, or PreK-12. The license says:

  • Elementary (1-6), Language (e.g., French, Japanese, Spanish)
  • Elementary/Middle (1-9), Language
  • Middle/Secondary (6-12), Language
  • Secondary (9-12), Language
  • PreK – Grade 12, Language

The GLES certification requirements depend on what it is in conjunction with, either an elementary or a secondary certification. Routes for GLES certification are:

  • Complete an elementary education major (1-6 or 1-8) with a teaching minor in the language (1-6 or 1-9)

  • Complete a middle/secondary certification (6-12) in a language through either a teaching major or a teaching minor and add three components for a 1-6 add-on in that language:

    • Elementary global language methods course

    • A course in child development/psychology appropriate for elementary teachers

    • Practicum (which does not need to be a full semester of student teaching if the candidate has already done so in another language or for other grade levels).

  • May currently teach global language at the kindergarten level with the kindergarten teacher present. In the future, the global languages license may be extended to PreK-6, PreK-9.

Certificate of Residency and Transfer Credit Prior Approval Forms

It is your responsibility once you return from your study abroad experience f to come into the Office of International Education Office (Dempsey Hall 230) with information to complete your Certificate of Residency form.

At this point, to complete your Certificate of Residency form, you need to come into the Global Languages and Cultures departmental office bringing the following information:

    • Your name
    • Your social security number
    • Your student ID number
    • The language you studied
    • The location of your study
    • The date you left
    • The date you returned
  • Processing the form is very quick for those who take part in our campus study abroad programs because the faculty who led the program verifies their participation and signs the form along with our chair’s signature.
  • For those of you who go through other campuses, or have done your study abroad on your own, you will need to complete a Transfer Credit Prior Approval form before you leave the country.
  • Then, a transcript from the school you attended must be sent to the transfer student coordinator in our Admissions Office where an officer will match your transcript with the Transfer Credit Prior Approval form and assigns the credits.
  • After the credits have been applied to your unofficial transcript you may then proceed with your Certificate of Residency form (see above).
  • After completing your Certificate of Residency form, the program assistant for the Global Languages and Cultures Department will forward your Certificate of Residency form to the COEHS credit examiner, who will then input that task as being done on the STAR report.
  • All of these steps must be completed prior to student teaching.

For more information, visit World Languages DPI Requirements

Testing Requirements for Wisconsin Teacher Licensure
Wisconsin requires foreign language education students who complete their professional education programs after Aug. 31, 2011 to take the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) specified by the state for their license area(s) in order to qualify for a state education license.

All state approved professional education programs in Wisconsin require student assessments of content knowledge (in most license fields) that are determined, in foreign languages, by obtaining a score on the OPI and WPT at the proficiency level of intermediate high as approved by the state superintendent. This includes programs offered at colleges and universities as well as alternative training, experimental and innovative programs. Each Wisconsin professional education program establishes by policy when the tests must be completed within its education program sequence. For more information, visit the Language Testing International website.

The UW Oshkosh Testing Center will provide services for these tests. There is a 90-day waiting period before you may retake these tests, should you not pass them at the intermediate high level. If you will be student teaching in fall 2012, you are required to provide passing scores with your student teaching application on March 1, 2012.

Who Must Take the ACTFL, OPI and WPT Tests?

All global language education students who complete a professional education program after Aug. 31, 2011 must take the ACTFL, OPI and WPT required by Wisconsin for their license area in order to qualify for a state education license. It is important to note that no candidate may be waived from taking the required test for her or his license area. This includes all scenarios of program completion including but not limited to:

  • GL Educators licensed prior to Sept. 2011, returning to complete a license program in a new subject;
  • GL Educators licensed prior to Sept. 2011, returning to complete programs to add on age levels that were not covered by their previous licenses;
  • All educators who complete initial licensing programs after Aug. 31, 2011, and all subsequent programs they complete;
  • Students completing licensing programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels;
  • Students completing licensing programs as special students.

Contact Us

Global Languages and Cultures
(920) 424-4004
Clow F010

Office Hours
M-F | 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Media Center
Clow Classroom Building 250