Select Page

Have a question? Ask us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Federal School Code



We understand that the cost of education is an important concern that students and parents have. UW Oshkosh offers quality, affordable degree programs and financial aid services to help meet the costs of education. The Financial Aid Office provides financial assistance in the forms of grants, loans, scholarships and work-study. Take time to review the various types of aid available to students and families of the University.

As the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) limits the amount of information we can provide parents, we urge you to keep the lines of communication open with your student.

Financial Aid Timeline

Students must apply for financial aid each school year by filing the FAFSA. The process can be started as early as Oct. 1 for the following school year. It is recommended to complete your federal tax return prior to filing the FAFSA.

Priority FAFSA Deadline
The FAFSA priority deadline falls on Jan. 1 each year. Submitting an application before this deadline ensures eligible students the chance to receive certain need-based loans, grants and scholarships that have limited funding. Students may submit their  application after the priority deadline, but the application will only be processed after all priority applicants are reviewed.

There no official deadline to apply for financial aid. However, since tuition is due at the beginning of each semester, all processing and forms must be completed approximately three weeks prior to the start of the semester. Federal regulations require that all aid offered to students must be accepted prior to the last day of classes, otherwise the Financial Aid Office will be unable to process it.

Tuition Bills

Tuition bills are produced by the Student Accounts Office at the beginning of each semester. The bill will most likely not reflect the financial aid credits. The most up-to-date information is available on your student’s TitanWeb account. If you have questions regarding specific tuition charges, the availability of bills, or refunds, contact the Student Accounts Office at (920) 424-1332.

Financial aid funds are disbursed to a student’s account in the week before the start of classes each term. Once aid is disbursed to the account, it will pay of any direct charges. Tuition and room and board (if living on campus) are paid each term. Any excess will be refunded to the student (either by Direct Deposit or a paper check claimed at the Cashier’s Office) to be used for other educational expenses such as books, rent, food, etc. The student is able to sign up for Direct Deposit on TitanWeb.

Estimated Cost of Attendance


Financial Aid Process

Parent PLUS Loan

Private Loans

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I use financial aid to pay for my student's housing?

For a student living on campus, the room and board charges are added to the student account. Any financial aid funs received will be applied to the student’s account through the Student Accounts Office; if tuition, room and board is fully covered by the funds and there is an excess, the refund is released to the student. The student is then expected to use these funds to pay for other education related expenses, such as book, supplies, etc.

For a student living off campus, their housing charges are not added to their student account. Any financial aid funds received will be applied to the student’s tuition through the Student Accounts Office; if tuition is fully covered by the funds and there is an excess, the refund is released to the student. The student is then expected to use these funds to pay for other expenses, such as housing, books, supplies, etc.

How can I review my student's financial aid awards?

Most students will receive an email in their account with directions on how to access their awards online to accept or decline them. A student’s email account is established as soon as they pay the initial admission deposit through the Admissions Office. For assistance accessing email, contact the IT Help Desk at (920) 424-3020. If you would like a paper copy of the award notification, your student is able to print their award directly from TitanWeb.

In a divorced/separated family, which parent should file the FAFSA?

The FAFSA states:

  • If the student’s parents are married, answer the questions about both parents.
  • If the student’s parent is widowed or single, answer only the questions about that parent
  • If the student’s parents have divorced or separated, answer only the questions about the parent that the student lived with most during the last 12 months. If they did not live with one parent more than the other, answer only the questions about the parent who provided most of the student’s financial support during the last 12 months or during the most recent year that the student actually received support from a parent.
  • If the student’s parent has remarried after being widowed or divorced, answer the questions about both parent and stepparent.

In a legal guardian or foster situation, how do I file the FAFSA?

The FAFSA states:

  • If the student has a legal guardian, they cannot use the legal guardian’s information on the application. A legal guardian is not considered a parent in the financial aid process.
  • If the student has foster parents, they cannot use the foster parent’s information on the application. A foster parent is not considered a parent in the financial aid process.
  • If the student was adopted, follow the instruction above for parents, based on their current marital status.

The following people are not considered parents on the FAFSA unless they have legally adopted the student: grandparents, foster parents, legal guardians, older brothers or sisters and uncles or aunts.

What if our family circumstances change after we file the Financial Aid forms?

You may request review for reconsideration of the student’s aid eligibility. The review process is usually successful only if a family’s income or expense information changes significantly from the information originally submitted for the school year. Changes to the financial aid package are not guaranteed as a part of the review process. To request a review, contact your student’s financial aid counselor.

My student will need additional funds beyond the financial aid they were awarded. Where should we look?

Federal Parent PLUS Loan (must be awarded through the FAFSA process)

  • If your student is eligible, they will have the option to accept a federal Parent PLUS Loan on their financial aid award. However parents must pass a credit check, complete entrance counseling, and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) before the loan can be disbursed. If you are denied the Parent PLUS loan due to the mandatory credit check, your student may borrow additional funding through unsubsidized loans.

Private (Alternative) Loans

  • These are non-federal loans offered by private agencies so the costs associated with them tend to be higher than with federal loans.

When can my student be considered independent for aid purposes?

All applicants for federal student aid are considered either “independent” or “dependent.” Dependent students are required to include information about their parents on the FAFSA. By answering a few questions, you can get a good idea of which category your student fits into.

  • Will they be at least 24 years old by Dec. 31 of the school year for which they are applying for financial aid?
  • Will theybe working toward a master’s or doctoral degree (such as MS, MBA, PhD, EdD, etc.)?
  • Are they married or separated but not divorced?
  • Do they have children whom they provide more than half of necessary child support?
  • Do they have dependents (other than children or a spouse) who live with them and receive support?
  • At any time since they turned age 13, were both of their parents deceased, were they in foster care or were they a ward or dependent of the court?
  • Are they an emancipated minor or are they in a legal guardianship as determined by a court?
  • Are they an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or self-supported and at risk of being homeless?
  • Are they currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  • Are they a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

If none of the criteria listed above apply to your child, they may be considered a dependent student and may be required to provide your financial information when completing the FAFSA. If you answered yes to any of these questions, then they may be an independent student and will not be required to provide parental information on their FAFSA.

Are there jobs available for students who want to work?

The University and surrounding community offer many jobs for students. Most students can still do well academically while working 8-10 hours per week. Students who are offered federal work study in their financial aid award can apply for work-study designated positions; students who have not applied for federal aid or were not offered federal work-study can still apply for jobs on campust. Current job postings can be found on UW Oshkosh Handshake.

Hours and Location

Dempsey Hall, Room 104
Walk-In Hours:
Mondays and Fridays
8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Schedule an appointment with your fiancial aid Counselor
Office Hours: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address

Financial Aid Office
UW Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901

Contact Us
 (920) 424-3377
Fax: (920) 424-0284