Select Page

Frequently Asked Questions | FAQs

See also: FAQs for Parents, Satisfactory Academic Progress FAQs


When should I apply for financial aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens on Oct. 1 the year prior to the academic year you are applying for. The UW Oshkosh priority deadline is Jan. 1 each year.

Visit the Applying for Aid page for detailed information on the financial aid process.

My parents do not help me pay for school. Can I be considered independent for financial aid purposes?

The criteria that determine if a student is considered “dependent” include a student’s age, veterans status, marital status, status as an orphan or ward of the court, or status as a graduate student. The FAFSA asks specific questions that determine a student’s dependency status. If you feel you fall under extenuating circumstances, please contact your financial aid counselor.

Will my financial aid be applied to the J-Term/May-Term?

Students will receive financial aid based on the 14-week term enrollment. If students are Pell eligible
and are not fulltime during the 14-week term, they may be eligible to receive Pell funds for the J/May
terms. The additional funds would disburse after the interim census date.

How do I pay for the J-Term if I do not receive financial aid for it?

Students who receive a financial aid refund in the previous term are encouraged to set aside a portion of that refund to assist in paying for a course taken during the J-Term.

Can I get financial aid for a study abroad program?

Students participating in a study abroad program may be eligible for financial aid. Visit the Study Abroad page for more information.

How do I view/accept my financial aid on Titan Web?

Financial aid awards can be reviewed under the Finances section on TitanWeb. Our website contains step-by-step TitanWeb instructions to make the financial aid process and simple as possible for students and parents.

I have not received my financial aid award. What should I do?

Check your UWO email for notification from the Financial Aid Office and/or check your Titan Web account. Please review your Student Aid Report (SAR) received after submitting your FAFSA. If no mistakes were indicated, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Learn more: Receiving Aid

What if I am enrolled less than full time or need to drop a class?

The majority of financial aid has a 6-credit minimum enrollment requirement. If you plan to drop a class, please contact your financial aid counselor.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

The purpose SAP is to ensure financial aid recipients are progressing toward graduation. SAP guidelines evaluate a student’s cumulative GPA, number of credits attempted and completed at UW Oshkosh, and (if applicable) the number of credits a student successfully transfers from other postsecondary institutions.

Learn more: Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Hours and Location

Dempsey Hall, Room 104
Walk-In Hours:
Mondays and Fridays
8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Schedule an appointment with your fiancial aid Counselor
Office Hours: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address

Financial Aid Office
UW Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901

Contact Us
 (920) 424-3377
Fax: (920) 424-0284