Select Page
  • Chemical spillKeep people away from the spill.
  • If you know what the substance is, consult the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for hazards and clean-up instructions. If the release is small enough and can be cleaned up easily and isolated safely, handle it as a “Simple Spill” and clean it up as part of your normal job duties.
  • You can also find the SDS using the ChemWatch program found at
  • If the SDS is not available or the substance is unknown and the severity of the hazard cannot be determined, please contact:
    1. Your immediate supervisor
      If the supervisor cannot identify the substance or cannot be reached, then call:
    2. Campus Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), Chemical Hygiene and Hazardous Materials Officer, (920) 424-1488 or
    3. University Police Department, (920) 424-1212
  • If you determine that an imminent hazard (i.e. serious fire or major injury) exists, immediately contact University Police at (920) 424-1212 and evacuate the area. Next, contact your supervisor and the EHS officer.

Call 911 if a medical emergency exists.

Note: Whenever handling chemicals or hazardous waste, employees have the right and are required to have the appropriate SDS available for immediate consultation. Also, it always is a good practice to consult the SDS prior to handling any chemical or hazardous waste.

Emergency Contacts


UWO Police Department: (920) 424-1212
Main University: (920) 424-1234
Risk and Safety: (920) 424-3466
Facilities: (920) 424-3466
Student Health Center: (920) 424-2424
Crisis Hotline: (920) 233-7707