Finding the right fit

Rebecca JenkinsonRebecca Jenkinson, 31, is a Bachelor’s of Applied Studies in Leadership and Organizational Studies student from Berlin, Wis. Jenkinson was inspired to go back to college in 2011 by her desire to work in human resources, and she said she also hopes to be a role model for her four children.

It was the fall of 2011. I was searching for something, but I didn’t know what it was. I was a stay-at-home-mom of four kids in a blended family, and at that time the kids were one and half, three, 10 and 12 years old. I wondered what I would do once the kids were in school full-time, so I searched the regular job websites. Soon I began to realize all of my “dream” human resource jobs required a bachelor’s degree.

I had my associate degree from Fox Valley Technical College in Appleton, Wis. in human resources management. Part of the associate degree was completed online, and the other part was through an accelerated program that I attended night classes for. I knew I could transfer my credits from the associate degree to go back to school for my bachelor’s, and my hope was to find something convenient to fit with our busy lifestyle.

Searching for the right school happened immediately, and all the typical online schools were researched. I had lots of conversations with sales people with the title of an “adviser” who made me believe they cared about my well-being. Then, it dawned on me that I lived so close to UWO, why wouldn’t I consider them? I called and had a great conversation with an adviser who wasn’t trying to sell me on their school, she was honest and informative.

My credits were transferred over and I began school in January 2012 for Leadership and Organizational Studies through the Division of Lifelong Learning and Community Engagement at UWO. It didn’t take long to feel like I had a plan for the future, and I was doing something great for myself and was a positive influence on the family. Not only do I want to help support our family financially, but I want to be proud of myself and be a great role model for our children.

0 Responses to “Finding the right fit”