Frequently Asked Questions

For any further questions or concerns, please contact the Accessibility Center by emailing or call (920) 424-3100, and we’d be happy to help.
Students and Families/Guardians

1. How do I get accommodations?

Students will need to follow the below steps to get an accommodation plan:

    1. Contact the Accessibility Center and Self-Identify
    2. Complete registration form and provide documentation (link to doc/forms)
    3. Schedule a meeting
    4. Connect with professors
    5. Follow-up/Renew

2. Who is eligible for Accessibility Services?

Any student who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limit one or more life activities (e.g. communication, mobility, learning, etc.) in an academic setting, and have a record of such an impairment, or are regarded as having such an impairment.

Temporary impairments: Students with temporary impairments due to injury may request short-term accommodations through the Accessibility Center. Short-term accommodations are generally provided for a reasonable time period based upon anticipated recovery dates from injuries such as broken arms, broken legs, concussions, or similar injuries.

Temporary accommodations could include, but are not limited to, additional passing time between classes, scribes for tests and homework, and excused absence notices for missing class due to surgery or hospitalization.


3. What accommodations do you offer?

We work to provide the accommodation plan based on the documented needs of the individual and work with the student at the intake meeting to come up with the most appropriate plan for that student. Some general areas of service we provide are:

    • Advocacy and Liaison: Advocacy and liaison services are available to UWO students. Discuss your specific situation or concern with your Campus Contact for assistance.
    • Interpreting/Captioning: Accurate translation of spoken/auditory information in the classroom for students who are Deaf or hard of hearing.
    • Alternative media: Alternative media is the provision of printed materials in alternative formats for individuals with visual or information processing disabilities. Print materials are provided in a variety of alternative formats.
    • Alternative Testing: Equal access to the testing process at the University without compromising the integrity of the class. (Testing center link)
    • Classroom accommodations: Create equal access to the learning environment (i.e. preferential seating, accessible room location, chair/table/desk adjustments, etc.).
    • Note taking: Access to copies of class notes to qualified students with disabilities through the use of classroom volunteers.
    • Assistive Technology/Software: Various resources are available for students to check out for a limited time.


4. How long does it take to process my accommodation application?

After our office has received all the necessary documentation and paperwork, the accommodation plan is created after the student meets with the Accessibility Coordinator. Plan creation typically only takes 1-2 days. Please submit paperwork, documentation in a timely manner, as our schedule fills up quickly to be able to meet with each student.


5. Does this go on my record?

Your file and registration with the Accessibility Center is confidential and does not go on your student account or transcripts. It is the student’s responsibility to share their accommodation plan with instructors.


6. Can I get extensions on deadlines or re-take exams I did poorly on?

The Accessibility Center works to create a level playing field to promote the success for all students. We cannot change class requirements, attendance policies or give extensions. We can help give the student support to better their success.


7. How do I get electronic copies of textbooks?

First, the student needs to have the alternative textbook accommodation on their accommodation plan. If a student has the accommodation for electronic textbooks, you are first obligated to see if an electronic version of your textbook exists and buy that version. On the UWO bookstore website you can search for available ebooks.

If an electronic copy does not exist, you must buy your textbook, fill out the electronic textbook request form and submit the request form along with copies of your receipts to the Accessibility Center:

Please submit electronic textbook requests prior to the start your semester. Some book titles take up to 2 or more weeks to obtain.

FAQ for Faculty

1. What does flexibility in attendance mean?

Flexibility in attendance is given out in exceptional circumstances with the proper documentation. Flexibility in attendance needs clear communication between the instructor and the student. The student and instructor must come to an agreement together regarding absences, time frames, communication processes and this agreement should ideally happen at start of semester and be established before any absences become an issue.

The absence is related to an impairment or disability and the student is not obligated to disclose any details of the disability. For further questions and clarifications please reach out to the Accessibility Center.


2. I got an out of class letter, do I need to excuse the student?

When a student misses class due to a personal or medical circumstance, the Dean of Students Office sends faculty an email notifying them of the absence. The student must then follow up with each faculty member to complete any academic work that was missed. Absences can only be excused if sufficient documentation is provided (i.e. doctor note, obituary).


3. My student has an accommodation for specific furniture in the classroom, do I have to make those arrangements?

The accessibility center submits furniture work orders through facilities prior to the start of the semester.


4. I was told I have a student in my class who has accommodations but I don’t know who it is, how can I comply with those accommodations?

It is the student’s responsibility to show their instructors their accommodation plan at the start of the course to make any necessary arrangements with the professor.


5. I have a student who needs enlarged text/print for exams, quizzes and class handouts, how do I do that?

If one of your students requires an accommodation of enlarged font/printing the student should also have access to additional note-taking support such as PowerPoint slides in advance of class (if used) or similar types of handouts.  Having and reviewing materials in advance allows for the student to more fully attend to the class lecture and discussion rather than struggling to
take notes.

Our office is available to pre-print any materials as needed.  Please submit any documents for printing to at least one week in advance for printing preparation and processing through our office or another department if more advanced services are required.

You may otherwise work directly with Document Services to have this completed.


6. I have a student who has an accommodation for closed captioning, how do I request closed captioning or live captioning for the videos I show in class?

In most cases, when using DVD media, you can simply turn on the captioning in the DVD Setup.  When using videos from YouTube or similar web resources, adding “closed captioned” to your search query should also provide a captioned version of the same video.

In the event that you are not able to find a captioned version of the video, you may send the video to the Accessibility Coordinator or to Learning Technologies and we’ll work to get captions added to the video and provide instructions on how to turn them on.  This process requires as many as 8-10 days for submission, preparation and return so please plan accordingly.

Alternatively, staff in our library may be able to assist in obtaining new versions of existing videos with correct captioning.

Accessibility Center is part of Dean of Students Office
Office Hours

Dempsey Hall 125
7:45 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.


University Police

Emergency: (920) 424-1212
Non-Emergency: (920) 424-1216