Housing and Animal Assistance

The Accessibility Center and Residence Life work together to provide reasonable accommodations that help support personal development and academic success to students living on campus. All accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis through the documentation review and interactive initial interview process.

All first and second-year Oshkosh campus students are required to live in university residence halls. Reasonable accommodations in room assignments, configurations and adaptive devices are available.

Housing Accommodation Guidelines

Housing assignments are based on disability-related needs, not requests or preferences. Not all residence halls are designed to meet the needs of students in the same way. If a student’s first choice for a residence hall is not designed to meet the disability related needs of the student, the student may be assigned to another residence hall where that accommodation can be made.

Requests for reasonable accommodations should be included on the Housing Application. If you are seeking an exemption from the housing requirements, contact Residence Life to obtain a Housing Appeal Form and provide documentation to the Accessibility Center.

Housing Accommodation Documentation Criteria

Animal Assistance

Your request for reasonable accommodation will be reviewed upon receipt of documentation submitted on letterhead by a licensed psychologist, psychiatrist, or licensed clinical social worker (name and license number must be provided) as per the following:

  • Current diagnostic statement as per the DSM-V which indicates subtypes and specifiers (when applicable), along with the nature, frequency, and severity of the symptoms which indicate the need for an Emotional Support Animal.
  • Clinical summary of how the accommodation will help to alleviate the identified symptoms or effects of the disability.
  • Completion of the document linked below and acknowledgement from provider that the listed considerations have been reviewed with the student prior to making a recommendation.

Documentation Requirements – Assistance Animal Documentation Requirements [Word]

new student user

Students seeking support and/or accommodation should follow the steps below to register and start the interactive process: 

  1. Register in Accommodate
  2. Schedule Intake Appointment
  3. Provide Documentation

registered students

Registered students can login to Accommodate to complete one of the following actions:

  1. Renew Current Accommodations
  2. Submit Supplemental (additional) Accommodation Request
  3.  Disability Resources
  4. Report an Accessibility Concern


Accessibility Center is part of Dean of Students Office
Office Hours

Dempsey Hall 125
7:45 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.


University Police

Emergency: (920) 424-1212
Non-Emergency: (920) 424-1216