Personal tools
You are here: Home > Accessibility Center > Applying for Accommodations > Housing and Dining Accommodations

Housing and Dining Accommodations

The Accessibility Center, Residence Life, and Dining Services work together to provide reasonable accommodations to students living on campus. Early communication can help to make transition to college smooth. All accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis through the documentation review and interactive initial interview process.

All first and second year students are required to live in university residence halls. Reasonable accommodations in room assignments, configurations, and adaptive devices are available. Requests for reasonable accommodations should be included on the Housing Application. Documentation submitted for requesting accommodations should be submitted to the Accessibility Center using this process.

Requests for housing modifications or accommodations are generally denied for one of the following reasons:

  • The documentation does not indicate a substantial limitation to a major life activity.
  • The disability-related need does not require alteration to the living environment. For example, students with ADHD, learning disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities who request a private room for studying purposes can usually have that need met through quiet study areas located in residence halls, the library, and other areas of campus.
  • A student makes a late request for a room or a room type that is no longer available. For example, a request for a first-floor room might be denied if all first floor rooms have been assigned prior to your submitting the request and appropriate documentation. Once assignments are made, students are not generally reassigned to accommodate a late request. Thus, it is imperative that you submit housing accommodation requests as early as possible.

Housing assignments are based on disability related needs, not requests or preferences. Not all residence halls are designed to meet the needs of students in the same way. If a student’s first choice for a residence hall is not designed to meet the disability related needs of the student, the student may be assigned to another residence hall where that accommodation can be made.

If you are seeking an exemption from the housing requirements, contact Residence Life to obtain a Housing Appeal Form and provide documentation to Services for Students with Disabilities.

It is our goal to provide residential students with reasonable accommodations that help to support their personal development and academic success.

by riverc77 — last modified Aug 17, 2017 03:09 PM
Office Information
Dempsey Hall, room 125
(920) 424-3100 phone
(920) 424-2405 fax
Monday - Friday
7:45 am - 4:30 pm