Personal tools
You are here: Home > Accessibility Center > Applying for Accommodations > Accommodation Resources

Accommodation Resources

Classroom Accommodations

Adaptive Technology

Adaptive technology includes computer peripherals and/or software used by students to improve access to academic material. This equipment can be found in several locations across campus:

  • The Access Lab (120 Dempsey Hall) has computers with large-screen monitors, page magnifiers, and speech software. It is open Monday - Friday at 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
  • Polk Library offers some high speed scanners, an accessible workstation, zoom text magnifiers and text to talk applications.
  • The Testing Center and the Math Lab both have zoom text magnifiers.


In addition to these locations, some equipment is checked out through the Accessibility Center and some equipment can be provided in classrooms.


Alternative Format Textbooks

Students with an accommodation for alternative Format Textbooks should contact the Accessibility Center as soon as textbooks are known for the semester. It can take 6-8 weeks to process and receive the files.



The Accessibility Center is able to provide access to Kurzweil for Higher Education, a text to speech reading software program, for students with the approved accommodations. For more information about how to use Kurzweil, check out this information:



Note-Taking Assistance

Note-taking assistance can come in a variety of forms on campus:

Student note takers can be arranged in each class. The student can talk with their instructor about announcing the need for a note taker. This is a paid position. When a note taker is identified, both students come to the Dean of Students office to fill out some paperwork. Note takers can provide notes electronically or by using carbon copy paper provided by the Accessibility Center. The note taker and student who receives the notes discuss how they plan to transfer notes.

Technology has also made it possible for some students to use electronic devices to assist with note taking. Devices you may see utilized in class may include SmartPens, iPads, notebook computers, or similar electronic devices.


Preferential Seating and Furniture

This accommodation is provided for several different reasons including, but not limited to, visual impairment, hearing impairments, attention difficulties, or psychiatric concerns. Additional seating accommodations may be necessary for a sign language interpreter or other instructional aid for a student.

Some students may need specific furniture, such as a padded chair, a table (instead of an attached chair and desk), or an adjustable height desk to allow for standing and sitting. These arrangements are coordinated between the Accessibility Center and Facility Services.


Recording Lectures

Some students may be allowed to record lectures and class discussions. Students with this accommodation may not share recordings with other students or other entities on or off campus and those recordings should be destroyed when they are no longer needed.



The campus has many accessible parking spots throughout campus. To use these spaces, you must have a university parking pass and a hang tag or license plate that permits use of accessible parking. For more information, contact Parking Services.


If you need to obtain an accessible parking hang tag, you will need to submit a form to the DMV with information and signature from you doctor. More information is available here. The DMV is Oshkosh is a site that can issues these hang tags.


For information about where to find accessible parking, view this campus map.


Testing Accommodations

Most students with testing accommodations take their tests in Testing Services. There are 2 rooms available for students with an accommodation for a distraction reduced testing facility. To request these spaces, student should show staff their Accommodation Recommendation Card at check in. For hours, policies, and other questions, contact Testing Services.


Sign Language Interpreting and Captioning

Some students may be accompanied to classrooms and related activities by a sign language interpreter or a captionist. The student and captionist may need to sit in a particular location to have access to a power supply. When addressing a student who uses a sign language interpreter or captionist, always look at and talk directly to the student.


Winter Weather/Snow Removal

In general, a priority is placed upon the central corridor of campus that follows Algoma Blvd from the entrance of Blackhawk Commons facing Taylor Hall to the northern edge of campus near the Arts and Communication Building.  A second primary corridor follows from Reeve Union down the academic mall outside the Library all the way to A/C Building.  Please refer to the Snow Plow Map for more details.

Snow can accumulate quickly.  Please plan accordingly for your campus navigation. If at any time you experience an area of campus that is not navigable or if you become stuck because of snow, please call University Police at 920-424-1212 and they will send assistance as quickly as feasible.

Please understand that snow removal in the campus vicinity is a combination of University employees and city plow truck drivers.  As such, some crosswalks and sidewalk ramps might be blocked from time to time.  If you experience this, please call University Police and they will notify campus facilities staff as quickly as possible to correct.

by Jones, Danielle last modified Aug 17, 2017 03:13 PM
Office Information
Dempsey Hall, room 125
(920) 424-3100 phone
(920) 424-2405 fax
Monday - Friday
7:45 am - 4:30 pm