Information & Guidance

Parents and Concerned Others

College life is exciting, but at times the challenges might feel somewhat overwhelming. Our experience indicates that students will often talk to friends, family, faculty or staff about problems before they talk to us. We want you to be aware of the wealth of resources on campus so you can provide the most effective assistance to the student in need.

Signs that a student may need help

There are many potential signs that indicate a student may be experiencing distress.  Below are some examples:

  • Withdrawal or isolation from others
  • Loss of interest in normal activities
  • Increased and/or excessive use of alcohol/substances
  • Increased irritability
  • Marked change in hygiene or behavior
  • Marked change in appetite
  • Sleep disturbances: including insomnia or sleeping too much
  • Suicidal expression, thoughts, or threats

If you suspect that a student might need help, talk to them about what’s going on and listen. Encourage them to share their feelings.

This video illustrates what you can do when you suspect a student may need help.

What you can do if a student is need of help 

1. Encourage and assist the student to seek supportive services with:

  • Counseling Center
  • Dean of Students Office
  • Residence Life
  • Student Health Center

2. Contact the Counseling Center at (920) 424-2061 or the Dean of Students Office at (920) 424-3100 to consult about the student of concern.

3. Complete a Referral Form by clicking here



UW Oshkosh Counseling Center
Student Success Center, Suite 240
750 Elmwood Ave
Oshkosh, WI 54901