Personal tools
You are here: Home > Parents & Concerned Others

Parents & Concerned Others



College life is exciting, but at times the challenges might feel somewhat overwhelming. Our experience indicates that students will often talk to friends, family, faculty or staff about problems before they talk to us. We want you to be aware of the wealth of resources on campus so you can provide the most effective assistance to the student in need.

What are some warning signs that a student may need help?

There are many potential signs that indicate a student may be experiencing distress.  Below are some examples of signals and behaviors of distress:

  • Withdrawal or isolation from others
  • Loss of interest in normal activities
  • Increased and/or excessive use of alcohol/substances
  • Increased irritability
  • Marked change in hygiene or behavior
  • Marked change in appetite
  • Sleep disturbances: including insomnia or sleeping too much
  • Suicidal expression, thoughts, or threats


What can you do when you suspect a student may need help?

If you suspect that a student might need help, talk to him or her about what's going on and listen. Encourage them to share his or her feelings.

This video illustrates what you can do when you suspect a student may need help.


What can you do if the student is in need of help?

1.  Encourage and assist the student to seek supportive services with:

  • Counseling Center
  • Dean of Students Office
  • Residence Life
  • Medical Professional

2.  Contact the Counseling Center at 920-424-2061 or the Dean of Students Office at 920-424-3100 to consult about the student of concern.


by sebenl99 — last modified Jul 30, 2019 04:05 PM

Emergency Resources


Dial 911

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

1-800-273-TALK (8255)


Crisis Text Line

Text HOME to 741-741
text line

Winnebago County Crisis