Wisconsin Nurse Educator Program

Students enrolled in the following graduate programs at UW Oshkosh are eligible to receive this loan funding:

To support the education of nurses in Wisconsin, the state has approved $5 million dollars as loan funding to offset educational expenses of nurses enrolled a in PhD, DNP or master’s-level Nurse Educator programs. ANEW and WNA collaborated on advancing this initiative for several years. It is an exciting opportunity for our state.

Students must be admitted to approved programs. The list of approved schools is found on the ANEW website. PhD students are eligible for up to $50,000, DNP students up to $40,000 and MSN NE students up to $30,000. Funds may be used to cover the cost of tuition as well as expenses related to school such as books, travel, childcare, etc. Students must maintain full-time enrollment and must commit to teaching at an approved Wisconsin based school for at least three years post-graduation.

The loans are distributed through the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB). Application forms can be found on the HEAB website. Applications will be reviewed and approved on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications will be received until all funds are distributed.

See the frequently asked questions below for additional information. Websites will be updated as new information is provided.

Learn more:


How to Apply

Students who meet the following eligibility requirements may apply:

  • US resident
  • Enrollment in DNP or MSN–Nurse Educator programs at UW Oshkosh.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Eligibility for nurse licensure in Wisconsin
  • Commitment to practicing full-time as a nurse educator in Wisconsin for three consecutive years full-time or six consecutive years part-time after degree completion

Step One

Submit the following via email to your Program Director (not the State of Wisconsin website)

  • One to two paragraph essay that addresses the following:
    • Please provide insight into your interest in Nurse Education, and how you plan to use your degree in Wisconsin after graduation.
    • Statement of interest in applying and commitment to enrollment for the next academic year.

Step Two

  • Program Director will review your essay and declaration of interest and forward your name and UWO email to financial aid office
  • Student should set up a meeting with the UWO Financial Aid Office. Forms are available on HEAB website, however; student is encouraged to work with financial aid office to ensure the completion of the correct forms. All forms are returned by the student to the financial aid office.

Step Three

  • The Financial Aid Offices submits all application forms to the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board
  • The Financial Aid Office will communicate with the student status, funds receipt, and any final paperwork required prior to funds distribution.

Funds Distribution Note: Funds from the state will be distributed through the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Financial Aid and Bursar’s Office. Once tuition and fees are paid, the remaining funds will be disbursed to the student. If you have questions on this process, please work with the Financial Aid contact person.



Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Do not delete


Are international students eligible to receive funds?
  • No. it is similar to federal and state funding requirements
Is funding prorated depending on where a student is at in the program?
  • No. All students are eligible for the full amount.  They must be full time students to be eligible. Students should request the amount of funds allocated for their program of study.
Can students who work as TAs (teaching assistants) also apply for funds?
  • Yes. The amounts for this year are predetermined and not dependent on other funding streams.
Are there limits to the number of hours a student works outside of full time study?
  • No. The student must remain a full-time student. Outside activities are not regulated.


Must students pass NCLEX to teach in Wisconsin?
  • Yes. The goal of this program is to provide Nurse Educators for Wisconsin.  To teach nursing courses, faculty must be licensed or eligible for a Wisconsin nursing license, and that requires successfully passing the NCLEX exam.

Teaching Commitment Requirement

Are students assured of a teaching position at a specific school?
  • No. Many schools have faculty vacancies; however, a school cannot be expected to hold a position for a current student or assure that a position is available that aligns with the student’s areas of expertise.  Positions are available throughout Wisconsin and students may complete the teaching commitment requirement at any eligible school in the state. This may require relocation.


How do I secure a teaching position after I graduate?
  • Students will need to apply and interview for positions as usual. The list of Administrators of Nursing Education in Wisconsin (ANEW) eligible schools is available on the ANEW website. Students may do their teaching requirement at ANY eligible school in Wisconsin.


Is financial need a consideration?
  • No. Financial need is not a requirement.
Are there any limits to how far along the students can be in their programs to apply for funding?
  • As long as you are full time, you are eligible. PhD students who are in dissertator status full time are still eligible to apply. Students must be accepted into the identified qualifying nursing programs to be eligible for this funding.
When will the student funds be dispersed?
  • Half of the funding will be provided during fall semester and the second half during of spring semester.
How are allocations awarded?
  • Each university has set allocations of funds. These funds will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis. https://heab.state.wi.us/
How does the student access funds?
  • Funds will be deposited into the student’s account.
How soon after a funding application will the student be notified?
  • A month after the completed and approved application is submitted.

General Funding Questions

How many students may a school fund with this money this year?  
  • Each school is allocated a specific amount of dollars per program.  If there is sufficient student interest, all the funds for that school and program may be exhausted in the first year.
What happens if one of the programs does not receive enough applicants for the funding, can the money go to other programs?
  • Unused funds that are allocated to a school will be reviewed by HEAB and reallocated to a school with applicants.
Are there restrictions on what the funds can be used for?
  • No, funds are available to support costs such as tuition, books, housing, transportation, supplies, childcare.
What happens if a student drops out of a program or is removed?
  • If the student does not maintain good standing status during the year of funding, they will need to meet with their faculty advisor, and the circumstance be brought to the Wisconsin Nurse Educator Program Implementation Committee for review. A student who drops out of a program of study will be expected to repay funds to HEAB. If the student’s GPA jeopardizes their ability to complete a degree, the student will be expected to repay funds to HEAB.

Guidelines for the Wisconsin Nurse Educator Program Initiative


1. Eligibility Criteria

  1. Admitted to an eligible nursing program (MSN-Nurse Educator, DNP, PhD)
  2. Commitment to the teaching requirement time frames for full time and part time faculty appointments
  3. New and current students are eligible

 2. Process

  1. College verifies eligibility and commitment to nursing education role
    1. Student submits a short essay to nursing advisor on commitment to nursing education
    2. Forms for student application can be found on the HEAB website. Contact Financial Aid for clarification if questions.
    3. Students submit completed forms to the financial aid office
    4. Meet with a financial aid office after meeting with nursing advisor
  2. Financial aid office will notify HEAB of student applications
  3. HEAB approves funding and will notify student
  4. The funds will be disbursed at the beginning of the semester (fall and spring)
  5. Student awardee submits annual documentation of their contact information, continued participation and eligibility

 3. Teaching requirement/commitment

  1. ANEW will provide HEAB a list of qualified nursing programs to fulfill the teaching requirement
  2. HEAB will send a letter to the employer for employment verification
  3. The teaching commitment for full time educators is three years; 6 years for part time
  4. One year deferment will be allowed for DNP-APNP in direct practice role
  5. Inability to fulfill the teaching requirement will result in financial payback

College of Nursing

Clow Social Science Center
Room C210
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901