About the College
Award-winning programs, nationally recognized faculty and talented students represent the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh’s College of Letters and Science (COLS). The largest and most varied college at UW Oshkosh, COLS offers 37 undergraduate majors as well as numerous minors, emphases, pre-professional programs and graduate programs spanning the sciences, fine arts, humanities and social sciences.
The College of Letters and Science is also home to the University’s general education program. All UW Oshkosh students choose from a variety of liberal arts courses offered through the college.
Benefits of a Liberal Arts Education
Transcending preparation for specific careers, a liberal arts education:
- Exposes students to a broad spectrum of knowledge about human experience and the natural world
- Prepares students to be responsible citizens who understand and contribute to the changing world in which they live.
- Enhances the skills of communication and critical thinking.
- Challenges students to appreciate their cultural heritage, to be sensitive to diverse traditions and opinions and to value truth.
- Encourages students to develop a lifelong commitment to inquiry.
- Develops the whole person who values knowledge for its own sake as well as for the achievement of specific objectives.