How do I register for classes in Clinical Community B?

You are here: Home / Departments / Teaching & Learning / How do I register for classes in Clinical Community B?

How do I register for classes in Clinical Community B?

Clinical Community B

The registration process will be changing for the Fall 2017 semester. Please watch your e-mail for instructions on the new registration process.

Please contact if you have any questions.

What is Clinical Community B?

Clinical Community B, often called Block B, is a semester in which students take methods courses while also completing a clinical experience, with a partner, in an elementary (K-5) classroom. For most students this is their first intensive experience in the classroom.  Students also participate in an orientation to the program and four large -group seminars focusing on different classroom management frameworks or programs.  

Why is Clinical Community B Important?


Clinical Community B is designed to prepare students for student teaching.  Over the course of the semester, students grow considerably in their ability to plan, teach, reflect on and improve their teaching.  Through Clinical Community B, students begin developing the qualities of a caring intellectual: growing in knowledge, skills and disposition according to the 10 InTASC Teaching Standards and the 10 Wisconsin Teaching Standards.

Who takes Clinical Community B?

Elementary and Dual Elementary/Special Education majors take Clinical Community B as a special part of their program in the semester before student teaching,; or for dual majors, in the semester before Advanced Practicum. Students wishing to register for Clinical Community B before this time or before completing all required education courses will need special permission. Clinical Community B is also open to students in ESL and Special Education programs.  Special Education students are required to take Math Methods (ELEM ED 384), but may take other Clinical Community B courses if they like.   

What courses are included in Clinical Community B?

As part of Clinical Community B, students take three methods courses and one clinical experiences in teaching and classroom management course.  The courses for Clinical Community B are as follows: TCHLRN/ELEM ED 316 (Science and Environmental Studies Methods), 317 (Social Studies Methods), 360 (Clinical Experiences in Teaching and Classroom Management) and 384 (Math Methods).  In methods courses, students study theories, standards, curriculum, instructional strategies, and assessment.  They also learn to create lesson and unit plans for teaching these subjects in their clinical placements.  TCHLRN/ELEM ED 360 (Clinical Experiences in Teaching and Classroom Management) includes both seminars and a clinical experience.  Classroom management seminars introduce different frameworks or programs for classroom management, including Conscious Discipline, Love and Logic, and Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports (PBIS).

What will my clinical experience be like?

During the clinical experience students observe and assist an elementary teacher one and a half days a week for approximately eight weeks of the semester.  During this time, students learn about classroom routines, teaching responsibilities, the needs of elementary learners, and the teaching of mathematics, science and socials studies through observations and discussions with their cooperating teachers. Students often lead classroom routines, work with individuals and small groups, and may lead curricular activities.  In the second half of the semester, students devote one week to teaching a science unit and another two weeks to teaching a social studies unit. During the semester they will also teach math lessons according to the schedule at their school placement or integrate math lessons with science and/or social studies lessons.
What will my schedule look like for Clinical Community B?


Students taking Clinical Community B are required to block out their schedules from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, for the duration of the semester.  A complete calendar for the semester will be emailed after registration.  Students should pay close attention to this calendar as it will include changes in class times and locations, seminar dates, times and locations, and the clinical placement schedule.  Students not taking all of Clinical Community B courses are required to attend all class meetings according to the schedule for Clinical Community B, but are not required to attend activities in clinical placements (classroom management seminars, observations/assistance days in clinical placement, full weeks of teaching in clinical placement, and parent-teacher conferences). Students not taking all of Clinical Community B should register for the sections they need through Titan Web.  For help registering for these courses, please contact Jane Ricchio at
How do I register for classes in Clinical Community B?

Block B students must enroll themselves in each of the following classes:  Elem Ed 316, 317 and 384.  There are two ‘sections’ for each class, and if you enroll in Section 001 for 316, you must then enroll in Section 001 for 317 and 384.  All of your classes must be within the same ‘Section’.  Also, if you have a preferred partner in mind, make sure to enroll in the same Section, as students in different sections will not have the opportunity to be paired together.  Once you have enrolled in the 3 classes, each with the same Section, the Teaching & Learning Department will enroll you in Elem Ed 360.  Initially, all students will be enrolled in the same Section for 360, to be split at a later date once field supervisors have been designated.

Who do I contact if I am having problems registering or if I have questions?

Questions regarding academic plans and courses to take should be directed to advisors.  For all other questions, please contact Jane Ricchio at


Do I need a partner and who will by my partner?
Students taking all Community Block B courses are required to have a teaching partner.  Students only taking methods courses are not required to have a partner.  Partners must be seeking compatible licensures and similar placement preferences.  Partners are required to take the same sections of the Block B Courses.  This means that students seeking the MC-EA license must partner with someone seeking  the same license. Those seeking an EC-MC license must partner with someone seeking the same licence.  You will have an opportunity to request a partner when you receive placement information from the Office of Field Experience.  Students who do not indicate a partner preference will be matched with a compatible partner from the same section.
What grade will I teach for clinicals?

When indicating your placement preference you should consider your career goals and preferences for practicum and/or student teaching. Your placement for Block B will affect your student teaching placement. As Block B placements are three weeks while Student Teaching placements are 9-18 weeks, most students request a student teaching experience with the grades they would like to teach as a career and use Block B as a way to gain experience with other grades. Students will be notified about clinical placements at the start of their Block B semester.  Placement preferences are not guaranteed

Please read the information for your license (below). On your registration form you will have the following choices:

K placements: ages 4-5

Primary placement: grades 1-3

Intermediary placement: grades 3-5

EC-MC only: EC-MC majors should have an experience in a K placement before graduation. Those who would like to teach grades 1-5 as a career should request a K placement for Block B. Those who would like to teach Kindergarten as a career should request a primary or intermediary placement for Block B. Students will have an opportunity to indicate their student teaching preferences on their student teaching application.

Dual EC-MC: All dual majors are given experience with ages 4-5 during their practicum experience. As a result, they do not need a K placement during other teaching experiences. Dual EC-MC majors are free to request any clinical placement.

MC-EA only and Dual MC-EA: MC-EA majors are not qualified for K placements and should not request them on their Block B registration form. Please read the information at the top of this page and indicate a preference of primary or intermediary placement for Block B.

EC-EA: EC-EA majors are required to have a K placement during Block B.



Click image to Find and apply for Scholarships with Academic Works

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.