Select Page

Frequently Asked Questions


Eligibility Requirements for Internships

Human Services Leadership Program and Internship HSL-325 (120 hours):

  • Completion of a minimum of three courses in the HSL major, as follows:
  • HUMAN SV-203 Introduction to Human Services
  • HUMAN SV-310 Interpersonal Relations in the Helping Professions
  • HUMAN SV-385 Financial Sustainability in Non-Profit Organizations
  • Minimum HSL grade point average (GPA): 2.75
  • Minimum cumulative grade point average (CUM GPA): 2.50
  • Completion of at least 65 University recognized credits.
  • Good Standing

Advanced Internship -HS 420,421,422 (280 hours):

  • Completion of all HSL required program courses except 440 which may be taken concurrently.
    HUMAN SV-440 is offered in Fall and Spring semesters only.
  • Minimum HSL grade point average (GPA): 3.00
  • Minimum cumulative grade point average (CUM GPA): 2.75
  • Completion of a request (including payment receipt) for Caregiver Criminal Background Check (submitted with Advanced Internship Application Materials).
  • Faculty recommendation
  • Good Standing
How do I apply for an internship?

Instructions and application forms are available on the field experienceinternship and advanced internship pages. Applications must be fully completed and submitted.*Due dates:

  • On Campus: March 1 for summer and fall semesters and by October 1 for the spring semester.
  • Collaborative program:  October 15 for the spring semester (offered spring semester only).
  • Online: March 15 for the summer and fall semesters, October 15 for the spring semester.

*Applications are due on Monday following a weekend due date.

Do I need to enroll in the internship courses?

Enrollment in 18-325 (Internship) or 18-420/421/422 (Advanced Internship) is required. Traditional on campus and online students self-enroll. Collaborative students are enrolled by their advisor.


Are all internship and advance internship seminars held on campus?

No, off-campus seminars are required at the instructor’s discretion.

How is my site placement selected?
  1. Students must list their top three choices of placement sites in the preferences section within the internship application. Every effort is made to pursue the student’s first or second choice.
  2. The field placement office emails a request to the site. Sites may either accept, decline or accept pending interview the placement. Students receive an email informing them of the placement request.
  3. When placement cannot be arranged at any of the student’s choices or none of the preferred sites are available, the student will receive an e-mail advising them of the need to re-pick their site preferences. It is very important that students do so in a timely manner.
  4. After placement confirmation, students receive an email confirmation letter. Included with the confirmation letter will be a student acknowledgment of the program memorandum which must be completed within the first few days of the start of the placement semester (following the first group seminar). This form must be completed and returned as directed to avoid interruption of your placement.

The currently approved placement sites are listed in the Field Placement Directory.

May I directly contact placement sites?

The field placement office has made agreements with area agencies that are listed in the field placement directory. For this reason, we ask that you do not contact the placement sites directly with the exception of an approved out of area placement (for Advanced Internships only).

The currently approved placement sites are listed in the field placement directory.

What do I do if the site I want is not listed?
  1. Please contact the field placement office directly to submit a consideration of placement request within an agency outside of our directory.
  2. The field office will present your proposal to the faculty who will determine if a placement site is a proper fit for our program. You will be notified regarding the disposition of your proposal.
  3. The currently approved placement sites are listed in the Field Placement Directory.
Is placement outside of service area possible?
  1. Students must complete their internship (120 hours) at an approved site within the service area. The currently approved placement sites are listed in the Field Placement Directory.
  2. Advanced internship students may file an out-of-area request to do their placement at a site outside of the service region if they are eligible.
  3. Potential out-of-area sites are proposed by the student. Typically students have met with their proposed supervisor and obtained a tentative agreement for placement. Please be as detailed as possible in your request and provide contact information for the potential site supervisor. Students will be notified of the disposition of their request following faculty consideration.
Are policy exceptions ever made?

A student must submit a Field Placement Request form for consideration of exceptions to policies and procedures.  Please be as detailed as possible in your request. Students will be notified of the disposition of their appeal following faculty consideration.


Do I have to complete my internship in one semester?

Internship (HS 325) and advanced internship (18-420/421/422) are each one-semester courses and students are required to complete their field experiences within the semester for which they have enrolled. Extensions may be granted at the discretion of the course instructor.


Can I start my hours early?

Hours may not begin until following the first seminar of the semester. You may meet with the placement site prior to this for an orientation, training, and to determine your schedule.


Can an internship be paid?

The HSL program, following the recommendations of our advisory board, has deemed that all hours logged toward the internship and advanced internship is unpaid.

If an advertised and broadly available “paid internship” which provides human services leadership skill development and experience is offered, the student must submit an appeal for consideration. Internships may not be designated as “paid” to accommodate a particular placement.

Will my travel time count towards my required hours for my internship?

No, your time spent traveling to and from your field placement will not count towards your required hours.



Can I complete my internship at my place of employment?

Students may be allowed to complete an internship or an advanced internship at their place of employment. However, employment time and tasks must be completely separate from fieldwork time and tasks.

Additionally, the internship hours are unpaid unless a paid internship has been approved. Finally, the fieldwork must contribute to the professional development of the student and not replicate current or previous work or projects. An official request is required.



Do I need to have a criminal background check completed for each internship?

You are required to have a criminal background check (CBC) upon admission to your Intro course (HSL 203) and for your Advanced Internship (280 hours).

An additional CBC will be required for the internship (120-hour) if there has been a change in your status since the initial background check. The CBC order is included with the Advanced Internship application materials

Do I need a tuberculosis test?

Tuberculosis tests are required only if your placement site requires it and is your sole responsibility to make the necessary arrangements. Provide a record of the TB test to the UW Oshkosh Health Center and to your placement site.


Can an internship and advanced internship be satisfied by a study abroad experience?

Human Services Leadership Program and Internship HSL-325 (120 hours):

  • Abroad trips sponsored through our program or other approved university sponsored study trips (formal request is required) will satisfy internship (HS 325).

Advanced Internship

  • Approved travel will satisfy half of the advanced internship hours and the remaining 140 hours will need to be completed at an approved HSL Field placement site.


When abroad to meet internship requirements, do I still need to apply for field placement?

In addition to completing the necessary procedures with the Office of International Education, students will apply and enroll in coursework just as they would for a traditional field placement.