Select Page
Home » 2022-2024 Graduate Bulletin » Policies » Applying for Admission

Applying for Admission

UW Oshkosh Office of Graduate Studies
800 Algoma Blvd., Dempsey Hall 345
Oshkosh, WI 54901
(920) 424-1223
(920) 424-0247 Fax


An online application is available on the web at A one-time, $56, non-refundable, non-waivable application fee is required. A subsequent application to other programs generally does not require an additional fee if the applicant last applied and paid a fee within the past 10 years. Consideration for admission to an alternate or another program after an initial application is submitted, transfer of application processing to another program, or to a certificate program may require another separate application. Reevaluation of an initial application but for a subsequent term can be done within two years of the original application to the same program. After two years, another application may be required.

Application deadlines vary by program and processing may take from six to eight weeks. Plan accordingly in order to meet all appropriate deadlines.

Have all official undergraduate (and graduate if applicable) transcripts from regionally accredited institutions sent directly to the Office of Graduate Studies. If an applicant is a current or former University of Wisconsin Oshkosh student or graduate, submission of an application is an authorization for the Graduate Studies Office to access the applicant’s University of Wisconsin Oshkosh unofficial electronic transcript; a physical/printed UW Oshkosh transcript is not needed.

All programs have varying and/or additional admission requirements, such as GMAT or GRE tests, interviews, letters of recommendation, essays, and other deadlines. Please consult the graduate program office, the graduate program website, the electronic application NEXT STEPS sheet, the appropriate section of this Bulletin, or the Graduate Studies Office for more information about program-specific admission requirements and deadlines. Note that admission to Graduate Achievement Programs and certificate programs have different admission procedures. Contact the program or the Graduate Studies Office for details.


An online application is available on the web at A one-time, $56, non-refundable, non-waivable application fee is required.

Forward original/attested transcripts or marksheets (both native language and English translation) from all international undergraduate institutions. Also required is a course-by-course international credential evaluation report which includes grades for each course, credits, and a degree completion equivalent. This report should be sent directly to the Graduate Studies Office by the credential evaluator.

In turn, evidence of English language proficiency must be provided in any one of the following ways: 1) An official iBT TOEFL score (minimum 79); 2) an official IELTS overall band score (minimum 6.5); 3) evidence of successful completion of Kings’ Education Graduate Preparation Program; or 4) evidence of completion of the WESLI program at the 700 level with a B average or better, and a WESLI recommendation for graduate studies.

For TOEFL information, contact TOEFL Services, Educational Testing Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA, 1-877-863-3546 or on the web at For IELTS information, visit their website at

Other evidence that may be considered as a demonstration of English proficiency include: 1) attending a U.S. college or university continuously for more than one year, 2) having completed a U.S. undergraduate/graduate degree, 3) receiving an undergraduate degree from an international institution where English is verifiable as the language of instruction for both degree and non-degree courses (subject to corroboration with other evidence of English language skills), OR residing in the U.S. for more than one year without being a student.

Complete the UWO Immigration Document Application Form and, in it, provide a photo or scan of the biographical page of your passport and applicable bank and financial statements that show the ability to finance your education.

To be eligible for an I-20 form from UWO, you must show you have at least enough accessible financial resource to cover your program’s estimated expenses for your first academic year OR the duration of your program, whichever is shorter.

If you are requesting a “Transfer Pending” I-20 from UWO, you must also provide a copy of your current I-20 and most recent or current F-1 visa while completing the UWO Immigration Document Application Form. Also required is the tuberculosis (TB) screening report form. Depending on your home country and other factors, you may additionally be required to take an IGRA tuberculosis test and submit the laboratory results to the UWO Student Health Center. Alternatively, you can take the IGRA test at the UWO Student Health Center upon arrival at UWO for a fee.

More information about admission and forms can be found on this page of the Graduate Studies website:

The admission and immigration processing time for international applications may take as long as six months. Applicants are encouraged to begin their application one year before the desired admission date. I-20 forms will be issued only after the applicant has met all the admissions requirements for a degree program and all documentation necessary for issuing an I-20 are received and verified. Part-time admission or 100% online study is not available to F-1 student visa holders.

All programs have varying and/or additional admission requirements, such as GMAT or GRE tests, interviews, letters of recommendation, essays, and other deadlines. Please consult the graduate program office, the graduate program website, the electronic application NEXT STEPS sheet, the appropriate section of this Bulletin, or the Graduate Studies Office for more information about program-specific admission requirements and deadlines.


The Admission File

In reducing the language of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (known as FERPA or the Buckley Amendment) to simple terms, the law provides that, with certain explicit exceptions, students have the right to determine who will see their education records (confidentiality) and students have the right to see their education records (accessibility). FERPA applies to the education records of persons who are or have been enrolled for classes at UW Oshkosh, including students in cooperative and correspondence study programs. FERPA does not apply to records of applicants for admission who are denied acceptance or, if accepted, do not attend. Furthermore, rights are not given by FERPA to students enrolled in one component of UW Oshkosh who seek to be admitted in another component (e.g., a student enrolled in an undergraduate degree program but is denied admission to a graduate program, does not have any FERPA rights in the graduate program which denied them admission).

Reference letters submitted as part of any admission application also may be inspected if all of the following conditions have been met:

  1. The student has been admitted to the program for which the letters were submitted.
  2. The student has attended graduate-level courses within this program.
  3. The admission file does not contain a written waiver of the right to see reference letters.

All graduate admission application materials submitted by an applicant become the property of the University and will not be returned to the applicant or forwarded to a third party. However, an inspection of materials by the applicant/student can be granted or copies of some materials may be forwarded to a third party only after the applicant/student submits a signed and dated written request specifying:

  1. The records being requested to be released.
  2. The purpose of the disclosure.
  3. The party or class of parties to whom disclosure may be made.

Note: Copies of letters of reference are not provided.

Individuals who are denied admission to a program are not entitled to have access to materials relating to the denial of that program. This applies even if the individual is subsequently admitted into and either enrolls in another course of study as an auditor or never enrolls regardless of admission status.

The Office of Graduate Studies, in many instances, is not permitted to make copies of other Universities’ transcripts for release to the student or for any University office other than the student’s academic department. It is recommended that students request copies of transcripts from other institutions directly.

The University has made it easy for students to grant access to third parties/parents through TitanWeb. After logging in to TitanWeb, you will see a link that is called “Grant Access to Others” on your Student Center page. You will actually create an account and password for the third-party/parent. You can choose to give access to four types of information:

  • View and Discuss Financial Aid Awards
  • View and Discuss Student Conduct
  • View, Discuss and Pay Tuition and Fees
  • View and Discuss Grades and Term Statistics

You will, then, receive a confirmation email that shows the login and password for the new account. This email needs to be forwarded on to third-parties/parents, so they know how to log in. You can create three different accounts to grant access to three people. Parent/guest access only covers those records listed above.  Other records, such as mental health, physical health, and faculty notes/records, are restricted by federal and state laws, university policy, and professional standards. You can release information from these records to a third party on a case-by-case basis through that particular office.

In most cases, the University will not contact parents/guardians or provide medical, academic, or disciplinary information without the student’s consent. In an emergency where the student’s health is in jeopardy or there is a concern that the student poses a threat to themself or to someone else, the University will contact parents/guardians. As a rule, if the student is able to communicate about the situation, they are expected to decide whether and how to discuss it with family members.

Admission Evaluation Summary

When the admission file is complete, the Graduate Studies Office prepares a summary admission evaluation based on the materials and information provided by the applicant. The evaluation summary assesses an applicant’s admissibility to graduate studies at the University primarily on the undergraduate grade point average, completion of an undergraduate degree, and academic credentials from recognized regional accrediting bodies (see Admissions Classifications and Criteria below). If the applicant does not meet the minimum requirements of the Office of Graduate Studies, admission to the program may be denied. In cases of denial, the applicant receives a copy of the summary evaluation and a letter with information about the denial. The appropriate graduate program coordinator also will receive a copy of the summary evaluation.

Review By Graduate Program

If the applicant is eligible for admission, the file and summary evaluation are sent to the appropriate graduate program coordinator and/or admission committee for review and a recommendation. This recommendation is based on a review of the Graduate Studies Office’s admission evaluation summary, required supplemental application materials supplied by the applicant, and a program’s additional admission criteria (if any). No applicant is admitted to a program without a favorable recommendation from the program coordinator. If the application is denied by the program, the applicant will receive a notice of the denial.

Final Review by the Office of Graduate Studies

The Director of Graduate Services reviews the program coordinator’s recommendation. If the recommendation is favorable, the applicant is accepted into the program and designated as an admitted student. The applicant receives an official admission notice from the Office of Graduate Studies. Some programs also send a separate program admission notice.


Generally, each graduate student receives advising from the program to which they are admitted. Each program has a coordinator who can be contacted for advice and information about advising. Special, Guest, and Non-Degree students are not assigned advisers but may seek advice from a graduate program coordinator, faculty or staff, or the Director of Graduate Services.


Full-Standing Admission

Admission with full standing to a graduate degree, certificate, or Graduate Achievement Program generally requires that an applicant meets all of the following minimum requirements:

  1. A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution;
  2. An undergraduate grade-point average of at least 2.75 (4.00 scale) over a minimum of 80 graded credits; OR an average of at least 2.90 during the last half (approximately 60 credits) of the undergraduate work. Graduate courses are never added into any undergraduate GPA calculation;
  3. Background experiences as required by a particular program (e.g., a satisfactory score on an admission exam, major in a given field, teacher licensure, appropriate work experience, etc.).

Note: Many programs have additional and/or more stringent requirements. See the appropriate section of this Bulletin, contact the individual graduate program office, browse the graduate program website, or contact the Office of Graduate Studies to verify these requirements.

Probationary Admission

Applicants who do not meet standards for full standing admission may be admitted on probation if they have an undergraduate grade-point average of at least a 2.25 (4.00 scale) over a minimum of 80 graded credits AND at least a 2.50 (4.00 scale) in their last half (approximately 60 credits) of the undergraduate work. Graduate courses are never added to any undergraduate GPA calculation. Applicants may be expected to submit additional evidence of their ability to do graduate work. This evidence may be, but not limited to, prior completed graduate coursework, a score on an admission test, additional letters of reference, or a written appeal.

With Deficiencies

Applicants who do not have the necessary undergraduate background may be admitted with deficiencies. These deficiencies will be noted by the program coordinator and must be completed before admission to candidacy or sooner. Credits earned in making up deficiencies may not necessarily be counted as part of the degree program. However, grades earned in those courses (including undergraduate credits) may be considered when determining academic standing and term and cumulative grade point averages.

With Conditions

Applicants who meet the Office of Graduate Studies and/or program full or probationary standing criteria but have not yet been awarded their undergraduate degree, submitted a score report for a required admission test, or met other specific program admission requirements may be admitted conditionally. The applicant will be notified of the condition(s) and what is required to fulfill them. Once official evidence is received within an appropriate period, the student will be reclassified as fulfilling the condition(s) and will be assigned probationary or full-standing status without conditions.

Special Circumstances

Applicants whose baccalaureate grade-point average falls below 2.25 overall and 2.50 in the last half of undergraduate course work might be admitted by providing other qualifying evidence of ability to be successful in the intended program. This evidence is determined and agreed upon by the Program Coordinator and the Director of Graduate Services. It is the discretion of both these individuals to consider any special circumstances for admission. Evidence might be one or more of the following:

  1. High scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), or other agreed-upon standardized test.
  2. Demonstrated professional success.
  3. Previous admission to a graduate program at a regionally accredited college or university.
  4. Successful completion of six (6) or more credits of graduate coursework with grades of “B” or higher at a regionally accredited college or university.

An applicant will be notified of what is required and the period in which the evidence must be presented in order to be admitted.

Final Term Senior

A final term senior at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh or another accredited college or university may be permitted to register for graduate coursework during the term in which the baccalaureate degree will be awarded. Final term seniors must submit a statement from their undergraduate advisor certifying the requirements needed to complete the baccalaureate program. The student should have no more than nine (9) credits of undergraduate work remaining in a semester or more than three (3) credits of undergraduate work remaining in a summer session. To be eligible to register as a final term senior, the student must meet all requirements for full standing admission to the intended graduate degree program with the exception of the baccalaureate degree requirement. Final term seniors are limited to a total undergraduate and graduate load of 12 credits in a semester or six (6) credits in a summer session. Graduate credits earned in this status may apply to baccalaureate degree requirements only as allowed in approved programs. Note that graduate credits counted toward a baccalaureate degree might not be applied toward a graduate degree and will be billed at the graduate rate of tuition. Students are responsible for checking with a graduate department regarding the availability of a graduate class.

Admission Start

Applicants apply for and are admitted to a specific term. Usually, the admission will be considered valid for the succeeding two semesters (including the summer term). The time period for which admission is valid varies by program. Applicants who are unable to begin graduate course work in the term of admission but wish to begin at a later date must contact the program and Graduate Studies Office to arrange approval to change the original starting semester/term.


Registration in each successive semester (excluding summer) for admitted students is expected. However, circumstances may result in occasional semesters with no enrollment. Students who are not able to take at least one course during a 24-month period should consult with their program coordinator to determine how to proceed. A student’s TitanWeb record is changed to inactive after this 24-month period and a student is no longer able to register for courses without prior approval. Also, consult with the Financial Aid Office as eligibility for aid may be affected by periods of non-enrollment.

In all cases, the maximum period allowed without enrollment is 24 months. After that time a student’s status in the program will be changed to inactive. Students are eligible to restart, within the 24-month maximum, simply by registering and successfully completing program courses, based upon current program and registration requirements. Students who exceed the 24-month maximum period without taking a course are required to submit a formal request to their program coordinator to resume classes. Students should expect that some processes, information, and conditions or qualifying experience to demonstrate currency in the program might be required. What’s needed to resume one’s program of study will be determined with and approved by the program coordinator. Any period of non-continuous coursework is still considered part of the total time toward degree completion.