Personal tools
You are here: Home > Master's Program > Funding for Graduate Students

Funding for Graduate Students

Graduate Assistantships (GA's)

The department is given, by the Dean of the College of Letters and Science, limited funds to support graduate assistantships. All graduate students are considered for assistantships, however, those on probation are not eligible. The department's Graduate Committee ranks students by considering GPA, GRE scores (for incoming students) and progress toward degree (for returning students). Progress toward degree is judged by whether the student has 1) taken and passed the Advancement to Candidacy Exam, 2) found a thesis adviser and 3) made good progress with his/her thesis research. GAs are given to the top students.

GAs typically help prepare classroom laboratory materials. They may also be asked to work as assistants during classroom time. They are expected to work 13.5 hours per week. At this level, the graduate student will receive fringe benefits such as health insurance.  Recipients receive a total of about $6900 for the nine month academic year.


Faculty and Graduate Student Collaborative Grants

Faculty Undergraduate or Graduate Collaborative Grants: Students are paid to do research during the summer. Applications are due in early February so contact potential faculty mentors during fall semester.


Additional Sources of Funding

  • Research Grants to Individual Faculty: Some faculty have funds from the National Science Foundation or National Institutes of Health or United States Department of Agriculture, to name a few organizations. They may have money to pay you to do research in their labs. Ask your mentor (or potential mentor about this possibility).
  • American Association of University Women (Oshkosh): The AAUW offers a yearly scholarship for any full time graduate student at UW Oshkosh. The application deadline is typically in January.
  • Leslie Allen: For biology or microbiology majors (graduate or undergraduate) with a demonstrated interest in ecology or field biology. The student must have completed 60 credits and have at least one semester of coursework remaining. Amount is $500. Click here for specific information and application form.
by linnm37 — last modified Sep 22, 2016 02:30 PM