The “Mentor Network” is a subgroup of the UW Oshkosh Alumni group on LinkedIn that the Alumni Relations Office created as a platform for current students to connect with alumni and professionals for networking and career development opportunities.
With the Mentor Network one can:
- Build professional relationships between students and alumni.
- Learn about personal and professional development.
- Share knowledge, perspectives and valuable resource information.
- Discuss career opportunities.
- Coordinate networking opportunities.
What is LinkedIn?
More than 85 million professionals use LinkedIn to exchange information, ideas and opportunities. Many alumni and students find that having a LinkedIn account is a valuable resource for learning about career opportunities and gaining professional contacts.
LinkedIn is a professional social network that allows its users to:
- Stay informed about your contacts and industry.
- Find the people and knowledge you need to achieve your goals.
- Establish your professional profile online.
- Stay in touch with colleagues and friends.
- Find experts, ideas and opportunities.
While we anticipate facilitating some discussion in the “Mentor Network” subgroup, it is our hope that the student-mentor relationships will develop to one-on-one discussions regarding professional experiences, knowledge and career opportunities, as well as networking opportunities. To obtain your free LinkedIn account, sign up at LinkedIn.com.
How do I join the "Mentor Network"?
- Log onto your LinkedIn account.
- Click on the groups tab and search for the “University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Alumni” LinkedIn group.
- Request to join the group. It usually takes 3-5 business days for approval to join the “University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Alumni” group.
- Once you are a member, hover your cursor over the "More..." tab and select the "Subgroups" link in the drop down menu. It will load a page that will take you to the "Mentor Network" subgroup page and click "Join Subgroup." Then you're in!
If you have any questions about this process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.