Select Page

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

Q: What is academic advising?

A: Academic advising is a dynamic relationship between a student and advisor. At the center is a shared responsibility for an education plan that incorporates personal, social, academic, and career considerations. Academic advising focuses on identifying life goals, acquiring skills and attitudes that promote intellectual growth, and becoming academically successful.

All academic advising begins with a professional advisor in the UARC and at a designated point (varies by major/college) students transition to a faculty advisor.

Academic advising is one of the most important resources a student can take advantage of to complete their degree in a reasonable length of time.

Q: What are the hours of the UARC?

A: Regular office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. Appointment are typically held between 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM.

Q: How do I know who my advisor is?

A: Your advisor’s name is listed in your Student Center in Titan Web. To determine the location of your advisor, use the instructions on our website.

Q: Can I meet with a UARC advisor if I have an assigned faculty advisor?
Q: Can I meet with an advisor in-person or virtually?

A: Yes, you can choose the meeting type when you schedule both a regular appointment or Same Day Service (SDS) 10 Minute Consult.

Q: If I choose to meet virtually with an advisor, what is the platform used?
A: Currently, advisors are using Zoom to meet with students for students who choose virtual appointments.
Q: What if I need a private space or a computer to meet virtually with an advisor?

A: The UARC has a couple of offices that can be used for this purpose.

Q: How do I find the notes from an appointment with a UARC advisor?

A: As an equal partner in the advising relationship, you should always plan on taking your own notes during an advising appointment.

To find the notes created by the UARC advisor you met with, login to Navigate with your netID and password, then look for the Reports Tab/Button.  You can find a short tutorial on how to access these notes on our YouTube channel.  

Q: Are there planning sheets that outline basic University Studies Program (USP) general education and/or degree requirements?

A: Yes! You can find these on the UARC home page. Look for the Planning Sheets button.

Q: How do I change a major or minor or add a certificate?

A: To change a major/minor or add a certificate, email or call the UARC at (920) 424-1268. The process to make changes varies based on the College the major/minor/certificate is housed in.

Q: Who are the PALs?

A: PALs (Peer Advising Liaisons) are returning UWO students who care about their fellow students and are committed to helping students reach their college goals. PALs can help you with:

  •      •  Reading your Advisement Report (degree audit)
  •      •  Finding your assigned academic/faculty advisor
  •      •  Scheduling an appointment with a UARC academic advisor
  •      •  Helping you figure out holds on your account
  •      •  Registering for your classes
  •      •  Adding, dropping, and repeating classes
  •      •  General Education/University Studies Program (USP) requirements
  •      •  And so much more!


Learn more about the PALs and how to apply to be one.

Q: Are there tools to help me choose a major?

A: Yes, there are. You can find a great number of resources to help you on the UARC website, specifically here.

Q: Are there tools to help me register for classes?

A: Yes! Check out the Registration Toolkit.

Q: How long do I have to drop a class each semester?

A: Check for deadlines in the add/drop calendar before dropping classes. If the class is your only class, see the question on Withdrawing from the University, below. If you wish to drop a class after these deadlines, you must complete the Late Drop Form and provide the required documentation to the Dean of Students (DOS) Office.

Q: Is withdrawing from the University the same as dropping a class?

A: No. Dropping a course and withdrawing from the university are two separate actions with different deadlines and processes. Dropping a course is the deletion of a single course from your schedule. Withdrawing from the university is the dropping of all courses for a given term. A student may withdraw from the University by dropping all classes using the Withdrawal Form.

The deadlines for withdrawals vary for each term & session. Please see the Add/Drop Calendar. After these deadlines, a student seeking to withdraw must complete a Late Withdrawal Form and provide supporting documentation to the Dean of Students (DOS) Office. Consult the Fee/Refund Schedule for information about refunds and charges. Withdrawal does not remove the obligation for costs incurred by a during the semester. Questions should be directed to Student Accounts, Dempsey 236, (920) 424-1332.

Q: If I don’t attend UWO for a semester do I have to re-apply?

A: Yes. Students who do not attend a semester will need to reapply to the campus when returning. Contact the Admissions Office,, Dempsey 135, or phone (920) 424-0202.

Q: How do I find out about Study Abroad?

A: To learn about study abroad programs check out the Office of International Education (OIE) website.

Q: How do I get permission for a credit overload?

A: The following credit load maximums have been established for undergraduates:

  •      •  17-week term: 21 credits
  •      •  14-week term: 18 credits
  •      •  7-week term: 9 credits
  •      •  3-week term: 3 credits
  •      •  8-week term: 9 credits
  •      •  4-week term: 6 credits


In extraordinary circumstances students may file a written request to exceed these limits. Students should submit the Credit Overload Request Form to or talk to an advisor in Same Day Service (SDS) 10 Minute Consults. Final decisions on overload requests are made by the respective college Assistant Director in the UARC or Dean’s Designee.

Q: What should I consider when thinking about dropping below full-time status?

A: Dropping below full-time (12 credits for a regular semester) can cause problems in the following areas:

  •      •  Athletic eligibility
  •      •  International student visa status
  •      •  Discount on insurance rates
  •      •  Veterans benefits
  •      •  Financial aid
  •      •  Eligibility for the Dean’s list
  •      •  Progress toward graduation
  •      •  Tuition charges


Before making a decision to change to part-time status, read through all considerations involved.

Q: How can I find out how courses transfer to or from UW Oshkosh?

A: Transferology is a tool used to explore how courses can transfer to and from UWO.

Q: Do I need to do anything before taking a course at another university?

A: Yes! Follow the procedures as outlined by the Registrar’s Office.

Q: How can I request a transcript?

A: Information about requesting an official transcript can be found on the Registrar’s Office website.

Q: How can I obtain a verification of Graduation?

A: By requesting an unofficial transcript. Read more about this on the Registrar’s Office website.

Contact Us


Phone: (920) 424-1268                Email:               Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


Student Success Center | Suite 202
750 Elmwood Ave
Oshkosh, WI 54901


Solution Center | Suite 1140
1478 Midway Rd
Menasha, WI 54952