Participants in the Opening Workshop for STEM Educators are invited to submit a proposal for a summer grant. These grants are intended to support the efforts of UWS faculty to incorporate gender-friendly student-active pedagogies into one of their courses.
Grant Award Objective
- Priority will be granted to course redesign projects that meet the mission of the UWS Women and Science Program.
- Attended the Opening Workshop for new faculty in STEM. Priority will be given to educators new to the UW System.
- Will be able to complete the curriculum project by the end of the following Summer.
- Will be able to share the results of your project work with the Women and Science Program and other appropriate forums.
- Application Cover Sheet is attached, and must be completed, including a one-page narrative.
- Deadline is early December following the workshop.
- Maximum grant request is $1200.
- Two awards will be made, based on a review from the Women & Science Advisory Board committee. This Board has representatives from all UWS Institutions.
- Grant is awarded as salary disbursed in fall payroll.
- Significance of the proposed course reform.
- Dedication demonstrated to the reform project.
- Plan for assessment of success of the reforms.
- Dissemination plan to report results and outcomes to the Women and Science Program and other appropriate forums.
- Campus location. Attempts will be made to support educators on different campuses.
2015 Summer Grant Recipients:
- Melissa Hage, UW Baraboo-Sauk County, "GLG 102: Historical Geology".
- Jessica Orlofske, UW-Parkside, "Biostatistics (BIOS 210)".
2014 Summer Grant Recipients:
- Dr. Evan Larson, UW-Platteville, "Geography 1040: Planet Earth".
- Dr. Ozgur Yavucetin, UW-Whitewater, "Physics 130: Physics Foundations".
2013 Summer Grant Recipients:
- Dr. Balamurugan Pandiyan, UW-Whitewater, "Math 143".
- Dr. Bradley Peterson, UW Collegegs - Barron County, "Physics 201: University Physics and Physics 141: College Physics".
2012 Summer Grant Recipients:
- Dr. Andrew Shears, UW-Fox Valley Department of Geography, "GEO 125: Physical Geography".
- Dr. Rose Theisen, UW-Eau CLaire, "CHEM 103: General Chemistry".
2011 Summer Grant Recipients:
- Dr. Amanda Hakemian, UW-Marshfield/Wood County Department of Chemistry, "CHE125 Introduction to Chemistry".
- Dr. Matthew Kuchta, UW-Stout Department of Physics, "Phys258 Introduction to Geology".
2010 Summer Grant Recipients:
- Dr. Arlene Haffa, UW Oshkosh Department of Chemistry, "CHEM 304: Biochemistry Clinical Emphasis-Laboratory".
- Dr. Tera Montgomery, UW Platteville School of Agriculture, "AGSCI 2020: Introduction to Dairy Science".
2009 Summer Grant Recipients:
- Dr. Jodi Olmsted, UW Stevens Point Department of Health Sciences, "HS 105: Survey of Common Diseases".
- Dr. Tsunghhsueh Wu, UW Platteville Department of Chemistry & Engineering Physics, "CHEM 2150: Quantitative Analysis".