Personal tools
You are here: Home > Advisory Board > Advisory Board Meeting Minutes > Spring 2009 Advisory Board Meeting Minutes

Spring 2009 Advisory Board Meeting Minutes

UW System Women & Science Program

Advisory Board Meeting

May 14th, 2009

Attending: LA Mrotek, A Hardy, T Salmon-Stephens, Kevin Lee, Arlene Haffa, Laura McCullough, Helen Klebesadel, Doug Johnson, Chris Yahnke, Dorothy Anway, Cynthia Berlin, Carla Burkhardt, Julie Hellweg, Susan Lincke, Traci Lee, John Koker, Julie Lukesh, Esther Ofulue, Penny Workman, Kay Taube


KLee:  Introductions and greeting.  Thanks to Amy and LA for organizing the event.

KLee:  Search for a new director:
John Koker: Not able to introduce a new director at this point. The position was offered to someone who will hopefully let us know her decision shortly. A request from this person asking for information on grants and other conferences to participate with W&S.
Kevin: How will we know when a decision has been made?
John K: Amy will send out an announcement to the board.

KLee:  Minutes from fall meeting: 
Are there any comments or corrections? They have already been made by e-mail.  Need to add Arlene Haffa to attendees.
Minutes approved.

KLee:  Co-chair Election:
Salmon-Stephens:  Provided a brief description of duties. It is a two year position and is good for your vita.
Arlene Haffa has been nominated. Seconded by Chris Yahnke. Voted unanimously yes. Nominations closed.

KLee:  Opening Workshop 2008:
Mrotek: 47 people attended. Pedagogy grants were awarded to Jodi Olmsted and Joseph Wu. They will work on those this summer and get award in the fall. The next fall workshop will be September 24-25 2009.

KLee:  Campus Visits:
Mrotek:  Campus visits will hopefully continue in the fall when Manuela returns and the new director is hired.

 

KLee:  Distance Education:
Taube: MentorNET panel webinar 5 campuses attended.  The representative gave a presentation and some grad students spoke about the program.  It was very successful.  The webinar is still available we will send out the link to the board.  There will also be a panel on Mentoring at the conference on Friday.

KLee: Spring Conference 2009:
Mrotek: The main focus on methods to recruit or retain new faculty and students.  Our keynote speaker is Jennifer Sheridan with WISELI.

KLee:  WiscAMP Update
Mrotek:  WiscAMP update will happen when Manuela returns from her trip.  We will send this out to the board.

New Business:
KLee:  Fall meeting will be 24th
TLee:  The workshop should be timed to start before the beginning of classes so that new teachers can more easily attend.
Salmon-Stephens:  The board members need to help talk with chairs to encourage new teachers to attend and help cover the classes to make it possible.
Koker: There are other conferences that begin on Friday afternoons and go through Saturday, such as project NEXT at Oshkosh.
Board:  Agreed that a Friday/Saturday format might be more attractive and the Chairs, Deans and Board members should help to recruit conference attendees
Mrotek: Contract has already been signed for this year’s workshop (for Thursday/Friday). We can extend the invitation to all staff in there first 5 years.
Salmon-Stephens:  Extending it to first 5 years is a good idea. Reminder that the Board Members it is critical to personally invite the new faculty.
Yahnke: Is there a way to survey prospective workshop attendees about day/dates?
Hardy: we can put together a survey for both of the conferences for day/date and have the board give to the faculty at their campuses:

Committee for survey: Dorothy, Esther, Traci. Dorothy will take the lead on this.
Salmon-Stephens: the board asked that Amy please include her input on the survey

Lee:  Fall Advisory board meeting:
Lee:  Due to travel restrictions we will go for the video conferencing. Board decided on Friday, September 18th. 10-Noon. Voted unanimously.

Suggested Agenda Item
Lukesh:  Suggested changes in the marketing for the program.  Maybe the program should consider a name change again or some other method to improve communication about Women & Science.
Board:  Generally agreed that they do not want to change the name- instead they want to find new and different ways to effectively communicate who and what they are.  Possibly name the meetings and conference more appropriately in order to provide more information regarding what the group is about.  One suggestion is to focus on the theme of the conferences and workshops and use the title as the selling point not the name of the group.  In these cases the group name can be used to sponsor the event.
Better communication regarding inclusive options and diversity were also discussed.

The board will suspend now at 11:30 for Lunch.

KLee:  The final topic before lunch was the opening workshop at Heidel House in Green Lake, WI September 24-25, 2009.  Next we will pass a form around for speaker volunteers.  If you know anyone who might be willing to present or if you would like to present please indicate it on the form.  No theme has been determined yet- this is normally iterated.  He reminded the board about the great opportunity for obtaining a grant
Salmon-Stephens: A possible theme is inclusive excellence (but a problem with that might be that since this is so new it might be difficult to get speakers).
Discussion continued
Klebesadel: How about “excellence and inclusion in teaching STEM”?
Board seemed to agree that this is a good idea
Lukesh:  A short description of what the workshop is about should also be included.  One example is: This workshop is for faculty in the 1-5th years to improve their practices in teaching.
The full description can be determined by the Women & Science office.
Taube:  Can Julie do a consult by phone with the new director?

Klebesadel: Should we consider asking IRE (Institute for Race and Ethnicity) to co-sponsor the workshop or the conference at some point in the future?  It is a win-win situation, because we both have similar missions and it may strengthen both groups.
Discussion continued
The board agreed that conversations between W&S, OPID and IRE could begin and there could be an agreement by the time decisions must be made about the 2010 Spring Conference (decision must be made before October 2009).  Initial conversations could be made as early as two weeks from now (at the Faculty College).  John and new director could report update in the next several weeks.

KLee:  We should resume discussion of volunteers for the grant committee.  As a member of the committee we read three proposals.  The proposals  are due at the end of the fall semester, reviewed over the winter; all is done via email.  The recipients have the summer to do their work, and they report their work in fall or spring conference
Volunteers – Traci Lee, Julie Lukesh, Chris Yahnke will be the committee to review grants in the winter.

KLee:  Next we need distance education committee volunteers.  Kay Taube, could you provide a review of the duties of the members of the group?
Taube: We work via email or phone and develop events for the distance education program.  Amy does most of the work; she sets up sites and coordinates everything.  We try to get ideas from the board before we begin to organize a program.  Some ideas include mentornet, wiscamp, best practices; we have co-sponsored with Extensions i.e. social class issues via personnel in UWSYSTEM and in the classroom
Salmon-Stephens: Are there any volunteers for committee members?
Dorothy Anway, Julie Lukesh, Carla Burkhardt will serve on Distance Education committee.


Next topic Family Support – For a Distance Education Event
Taube: We might want to do a spring video conference to get people thinking about other resources to bring to their class.  We could get OPID & IRE to talk about what they are doing in STEM (like a panel) A pre-cursor to build up the spring conference.
Klebesadel: What about service learning as a Distance Education topic?
Salmon-Stephens: There’s 250K for service learning in STEM.
Haffa:  Most of the people I have met have family issues (living far apart) so I agree that family support issues should be next program.  It should focus on graduate students and faculty.
Berlin: There are unique experiences for graduate students that should be considered separately from faculty.

Klebesadel:  Provided informative presentation on Inclusive Excellence. 
See Helen’s Power Point.
Questions for Helen?

Lincke, TLee, Salmon-Stephens:  Each provided examples of issue tat their individual campuses.
Klebesadel:  Each institution has to understand their own issues and work to address them.  Indicated that there are still best practices that can be applied to this issue
Salmon-Stephens:  We can make differences, sometimes looking at the context of how we explain idea so that every including women and minorities can understand.
Ofulue:  we need to make sure that mentor relationships are diverse as well
Klebesadel:  We need a culture where we can talk these kinds of issues out.  This is a cultural issue where we need to have this conversation that this needs to happen at universities and unit and across campuses.
Salmon-Stephens:  We all thank Helen for bringing this issue forward.
Anway:  Let’s realize that things can change – people can learn and improve in their ideas of diversity.

Item from the floor
Koker:  One application for the director position was from a scientist at Kimberly Clark.  She had a very interesting background.  She wasn’t considered for the position because she isn’t a faculty member but she still wants to contribute to the program.  Can you all indicate how the industry representatives might be able to contribute more? 
KLee:  We can invite her to the fall meeting.
Hardy:  We can do three industry representatives.

KLee:  Thank you Dean Koker and the search committee for all your hard work to find a new replacement.

Salmon-Stephens:  WEPAN award program received a submission from the W&S program for the Educator’s award.  It was a fine application.  Hopefully we will find out soon.

All gave a round of Applause for LA for her service.

Ofulue: Met some one at bioethics.  She expressed interest in serving on the floor.

Klebesadel: DIN information wants to discuss starting a DIN and what we would do with it. As we look at inclusive Excellence what do we want to have happen in STEM.

Haffa:  Motion to adjourn
McCullough:  Seconded
ADJOURN.

Document Actions
by Hardy, Amy K last modified Oct 11, 2011 09:09 AM