Personal tools
You are here: Home > Advisory Board > Advisory Board Meeting Minutes > Fall 2009 Advisory Board Meeting Minutes

Fall 2009 Advisory Board Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the Women & Science Advisory Board Meeting on September 28, 2009.

Women & Science Program Advisory Board Meeting September 18th, 2009

 

Arlene Haffa, co-chair, called the meeting to order shortly after 10 am.

 

I. Introductions:

Diane Christie - Stout

Jo Hopp - Stout

Dorothy Anway - Superior

Juliana Constantinescu - Whitewater

Kevin Lee - Colleges

Helen Klebesadel – Women’s Studies Consortium

Tiffany Aikins – Student Rep

Jennifer Mihalick – Women & Science Program

Amy Hardy – Women & Science Program

Joline Morrison – Eau Claire

John Koker - Oshkosh

Arlene Haffa - Oshkosh

Traci Lee - Parkside

Esther Ofulue - Platteville

Tammy Salmon-Stevens - Platteville

Julie Hellweg – Stevens Point

Penny Workman - Colleges

 

II. Approval of Minutes:

Moved to approve Juliana Constantinescu, Dorothy Anway. Vote: All say Aye.  Minutes Approved.

 

III. Approval of Agenda:

Motion Juliana Constantinescu, Dorothy Anway. Approved by all.

 

IV. Announcements

Jennifer Mihalick: WiscAMP Director Manuella Romero cannot attend today. She wanted me to pass on that the grant was renewed. She will be making a presentation at the Opening Workshop for New Faculty September 24-25th

 

1. Budget Report.

JM: We get our annual budget from contributions by each campus. We no longer have carryover funds and we need to find ways to save money later in this academic year.

Traci Lee: One of the things we were going to do to save money was to combine Spring Conference with other groups. Are we still going to do this?

JM: Yes, we will cover that in item VI President’s Summit.

Dorothy Anway: Is there anything we need to do?

JM: I am hoping that we will save enough funds in Spring Conference.

Juliana Constantinescu: Will we have to drop one of our grants or programs?

JM: No

Tammy Salmon-Stevens: We’ve never seen an itemized budget. Would it be helpful for us to see this?

JM: We are trying to keep track on the budget in a different way now with an Excel spreadsheet. When we got the information from the university it was in a different format that made it harder to track spending. We will share this new spreadsheet with the board.

John Koker: The budget from the University contains all of the expenses including staff salaries and benefits. This new spread sheet would just track the S&E Line and would be more useful.

 

2. Mentornet.

JM: We did a lot of promotion last year, but did not get enough participants to justify the cost. The grant funds have expired so we are no longer continuing that contract. Some campuses are still participating at their own expense.

Tammy Salmon-Stevens: We just got our renewal from the Maui Board.

Amy Hardy: Can you send me that documentation so that I can follow through?

 

3. Summer Grant recipients.

JM: Both completed their reports and were given their awards. They will present in the near future.

 

V. Opening Workshop

1. Schedule.

JM: OW is in Green Lake next Thursday & Friday (Sep. 24-25). It was very difficult to contact people in the summer to present at the workshop. I want to recruit the presenters before this academic year is over instead of waiting till summer. Does this seem like a good plan?

Julie H: Yes, I think it’s a good plan.

 

2. Participants.

JM: For OW we try to get 50 participants. We are on target with 48. Registrations were due before some campuses even started classes. We asked the deans at various colleges to send us lists of the new faculty; 7 of them did not reply with a list. We have no new faculty participating from Eau Claire, La Crosse, Madison, or Stout. Stevens Point & Whitewater had a big turn out. Should we try to move the location to make it easier for the western Campuses?

Traci Lee: One of the things I though was problematic was Susie sent the lists to the provosts and not the deans. I think it would get streamedlined more if sent to the provosts like in the past.

Esther Ofulue: We decided to send the mails to all chairs, deans and provosts.

Juliana Constantinescu: Can we add a new faculty member now from Whitewater?

JM: Our reservations are already made at this date.

John Koker: Can we copy the board on the invitations so they can help promote?

Tammy Salmon-Stevens: I agree.

Traci Lee: I think we should go through the provosts. The dean is not the best way to go. The CAS Dean may not oversee all the sciences.  For example, computer science is housed in the school of business at UW-Parkside. Once the provost’s office gives out the list of new STEM faculty, the W&S board representatives at that campus would be responsible for following up on those new STEM faculty.

Dorothy Anway: Do you have someone coming from Superior?

JM: Yes

Joline Morrison: I agree that I had never heard about this workshop. I would be glad to coordinate from this end to get people to attend.

Tiffany Akins: If it’s an issue of reaching maximum capacity, there are people on this campus who are finishing their [graduate] degree who would like to attend as a jump start to their teaching career.

Traci Lee: Would it be useful to other board members to get feedback of who did sign up from their campuses?

JM: We had a lot of people sign up at the last minute.

AH: I will send the list of participants to the board.

 

3. Grant Committee.

Arlene Haffa: Who is on the committee?

J.M. reviewed the process and deadlines for grant proposals and review. Volunteers for committee are:

Chris Yahnke, confirmed;

Traci Lee, confirmed;

Julie Lukesh is not on the videoconference so we will follow up with her.

 

VI. President’s Summit

Helen Klebesadel:  At the last meeting I forecast that this might happen. What had happened is last year there were so many April meetings that administration wanted to limit the number of meetings by only having one. We are trying to move forward on a collaborative summit on teaching and learning. The groups are OPID, Women & Science, PK-16 program, Institute on Race and Ethnicity. (Women’s Studies is still having a separate meeting.) We are coming together as a collaborative group, including the inclusivity initiative, LERT, SAGLA. We want to expand to include people from all the disciplines. It is a first time experiment and we’ll see how it works. Senior System Vice President Rebecca Martin would like us to do it at least one more time to see how well coming together can help us collaborate and serve the needs of all the groups. If we replace their separate meeting what do we need to have to make this successful? The dates listed on the Agenda may not be accurate. The contract will probably be made with a different hotel one week later [April 30-May 2].  The schedule may start with dinner Thursday, and last through part of Saturday.

One big meeting with multiple threads (STEM, emerging technologies, LGBTQ studies) should emerge but proposals have not been received yet.  We need enough proposals for each area; this board should make sure there are enough STEM proposals.

Traci Lee: I think it’s an excellent idea. We may not be able to afford as many speakers, but because other groups will have the presenters our participants can attend those. Will there be breakouts?

Helen Klebesadel: Yes, our goal is to meet the needs of all the people who attend. Our second goal is to go deeper into the faculty who are more discipline-based and see if we can get them to attend. We want to keep the cost to the presenters as low as possible, but may then ask participants to pay a registration fee.

Traci Lee: When are we going to coordinate our next advisory board meeting?

Helen Klebesadel: I don’t see why we can’t have a Thursday pre-conference meeting?

One of the reasons I am pleased that W&S is participating in this is that W&S will be more recognized for the work it does.

 

VII. Distance Education

1.  Committee

JM: Committee is: Dorothy Anway, Carla Burkhardt, Julie Lukesh.

2. Topics

Topics need to be selected.

Tammy Salmon-Stevens: I think this is a good question.

Dorothy Anway: When we’ve done them with other groups it seemed more effective.

More discussion on what topics were most successful.

Dorothy Anway: I am still willing to work on this, but don’t have connections up here to do much networking.

Juliana Constantinescu: I think if we focus on recruiting speakers that will interest more students and have a larger group of people organizing the event it would reach a larger audience.

Traci Lee: I think WiscAmp would be a good topic with their renewal of their grant etc.

Helen Klebesadel: Women's Studies Consortium will help by co-sponsoring and trying to advertise.

Tammy: In the past we have had a hard time coming up with a topic. If there is no topic we could postpone the event.

Motion: Traci Lee

Second: Juliana Constantinescu

Vote: In favor-unanimous

Helen Klebesadel: Committee could put out a list of suggestions to the board?

Tammy Salmon-Stevens: Since we are collaborating with other groups could we survey them to participate/get topics?

Tiffany Akins: Would you consider doing a Skype for this instead of a video conference. It’s free.

Esther Ofulue: Not everyone has the video features for that.

Dorothy Anway: I think we would want to use this video conference set up because it is already set up.

Esther Ofulue: What are we trying to accomplish with the Distance Ed? If we write this down it will give us a focus. We don’t want to lose this defined objective when we put out a call for presenters to other groups.

Dorothy Anway: What is our focus?

Arlene Haffa: Do we have a mission statement?

Dorothy Anway: In view of the fact that we are looking closely at our budget we need to know what the goal of this is.

JM: The three committee members should talk together about this before we make any decisions about this.

Esther Ofulue: I just want to be sure we are on top of the problem We should set a target date or e-mail the board before end of semester so this gets resolved.

Arlene Haffa: Dorothy can you get meet with your group about this?

Dorothy Anway: I don’t know what I am supposed to do:

Decision was made that Jennifer will send out a request to all board members asking for topics. Have them respond within a month.

Esther Ofulue: Who is the audience? Most of the time the board members are the only ones who attend these. That will help us decide the topics.

Dorothy Anway: I agree. We want to invite NEW people to come to these. The one that was well attended spoke to a wider audience. It was not just science people.

Juliana Constantinescu: The goal is not just to attract but to make our group more visible. Distance Education is good for topics that would attract others' interest in our program.

Traci Lee: Isn’t the purpose to keep it in STEM?

Helen Klebesadel: There are topics that would be in interest to STEM as well as others like work-life balance.

Arlene Haffa: Jennifer and Amy will draft memo to board?

JM: We will send a letter to the board and ask for feedback in a month.

 

VII. New Initiatives:

1.  Grants

JM: Women & Science has been able to receive grants in the past. This is a good time to look for grants for STEM education. Cynthia Berlin of La Crosse is Principal Investigator for an NSF Institutional Information Catalyst grant; she presented in May. Another version of this program is PAID - Partnerships for Adaptation, Implementation, and Dissemination. This might work for our system-wide program. We plan to use Cynthia's work as a model along with Madison's previous ADVANCE grant. We can copy best practices. I am not sure when the next submission date is for this program.

 

2. Council on Undergraduate Research

JM: I have belonged to this organization since becoming a faculty member. Kerry Karukstis, a past president of CUR, has been visible recently, writing about climate issues affecting women faculty at primarily undergraduate institutions. UW Oshkosh's grants officer is on the executive board of CUR and will keep us informed about how we can contribute to this issue. Networking is important with this type of project.

 

3. DIN for Inclusive Excellence & STEM:

Helen Klebesadel: A DIN is special monies to address a special issue. How could this group do this? I talked to Rebecca Martin’s staff. and asked if others were interested in getting DIN for STEM issue; we would like to contribute. They will let us know as they move forward. My task will be to keep watching the issue and letting them know our interest. Stout did one for this topic we can use for a model.

Tammy Salmon-Stevens: Let’s go for it!

Helen Klebesadel: With our board on every campus we could. JM’s grant ideas could fit nicely with this. Tammy, do you want to organize a committee?

Tammy Salmon-Stevens: Let’s think about this. Keep it on the table.

An ad hoc committee with limited term can be done.

 

4. Campus visits:

JM: What were these? This was in the minutes.

Tammy Salmon-Stevens: Manuela and Susie did visits to increase visibility of program. I am not sure if it’s such a good idea to continue them.

JM I have arranged to make a short presentation at the UW System Chemistry Faculty meeting.

John Koker: State math meets every spring and is on our campus this spring. Maybe we can present there. The deans are meeting in Green Bay October 8 & 9; we might be able to get you on the agenda there. Is it possible to get on the UW System Provosts' meeting agenda? It might be nice to go to these types of meetings where many campuses are represented instead of going to each campus.

Tammy Salmon-Stevens: This might help with the DIN application process as well.

Kevin Lee: If you can get on the agenda of the Provosts' meeting hand them the info on Opening Workshop to get it on their radar.

Dorothy Anway: We don’t have deans, only the Provost. It might be nice to have contact with him.

Arlene Haffa: If you are part of a group please invite Jennifer to present at your meeting.

 

IX. Campus reports:

Julie H- Stevens Point: UWSP STEM Career Day will be November 6th. Boys and Girls in 10th and 11th grade are invited. We are calling STEM careers day and all of the departments in STEM will be presenting. All the high schools are invited.

Amy H: We can send this out to our OWWSTE participants.

Julie H: We are looking for people to present at our girls Women & Science Day February 26th. I also want to share the grant I wrote last year to go to a women & science institute in California.  They presented curriculum for working with girls in middle/high school. Would this be something for the Spring Conference? I can present.

Helen K: Yes, please submit a proposal.

Tammy SS- Platteville: First female chancellor! Provost Buck.

John K- Oshkosh: We have several new faculty and one in particular was a new position to support our new WS major. One of her focuses was the history of Women in Science. Her name is Susan Rensing and she came here from Mississippi.

Arlene H - Oshkosh: The NSF S-STEM scholarship grant has been started to form a community environment, collaborating in studies of biology, chemistry and computer science. Students demonstrating financial need receive a scholarship of $10k per year.

holton@uwosh.edu is contact person for this.

Joline M- Eau CLaire: I am part of a ten member faculty group writing an NSF ADVANCE grant.

JM: Can you send us information on this to use as a model? Ask Cynthia Berlin in La Crosse about her similar grant.

Helen K- Women’s Studies Consortium: I am on the President's task force for sustainability. At a meeting in Stevens Point mid-October we are going to try to get together interested faculty to look at sustainability issues in the classroom. I am going to ask Jennifer to share through the list-serve any calls we might do.

 

Motion to Adjourn: Dorothy

Esther seconded.

Vote: Unanimous

 

Document Actions
by Hardy, Amy K last modified Oct 11, 2011 08:54 AM