You are here: Home / Benefits / New Students

New Students at UW Oshkosh

Welcome to the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. Transitioning from the military to campus life can be challenging. We are here to ensure your transition to campus is a smooth one. UW Oshkosh has one of the largest and fastest growing populations of veterans in the state and we stand ready to assist you.

One of the challenges you face as a veteran is paying for your college education. If you plan on using either state or federal veterans education benefits to pay for school, we advise you to follow the steps below and schedule a meeting with a VRC team member.


Step 1: Research Your Benefits

The University does NOT evaluate your service record to determine your benefits eligibility; that is the role of the VA. However, if you have a question regarding education benefits please do not hesitate to contact us.


Step 2: Apply for Admission to UW Oshkosh

The goal of the University is to recognize your efforts in uniform and translate those accomplishments to academic credit. By providing your DD214 or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NoBE)  you can earn 2 credits for Phys Ed 105 (Active Lifestyles which is a required course for all degrees) and 2 credits of a health education electives. If you feel your military training could be evaluated for more credits please provide a transcript.  Admissions will review military transcripts utilizing American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations to determine if additional transfer credits can be awarded.

To request an official military transcript, simply log on to the Joint Service Transcript page.

*In some cases, the application fee may be waived for certain veterans. Please contact the VRC for details.

Step 3: Apply for Benefits

Federal Benefits:

If using benefits for the first time, complete the Application for Education Benefits- VA Form 22-1990.

If Federal Education Benefits have been used before, complete the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training- VA Form 1995.

These forms can be completed online at:

State Benefits:

If applying for the WI GI Bill for the first time, complete the appropriate forms in the WDVA B0105.

If the WI GI Bill has been used before, complete only the WDVA 2029 found in the WDVA B0105.


Step 4: Submit Proper Documentation to VRC

Once you have received approval for veteran education benefits, you simply need to bring the following documentation to VRC in Dempsey Hall, Room 130 for verification. The University will then notify the VA of your status as an enrolled student.

State BenefitsFederal Benefits


WDVA 2031

Current WDVA 2029

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)



Marriage Certificate

WDVA 2031

Current WDVA 2029

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

-to include VA file number


Birth Certificate

WDVA 2031

Current WDVA 2029

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

-to include VA file number

*Students who depend on these benefits to meet their living expenses should bring enough money to cover expenses for at least eight weeks while the first benefit check is processed.

**Veterans should report to the VRC office before the beginning of each semester to make sure all benefits processing is in order. It is also the student's responsibility to alert the VRC of any changes in credit status throughout the term.

Document Actions

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.