Accessing and Using MAP-Works
How do I access MAP-Works?
A link to MAP-Works will soon be located on your D2L home page on the right-hand side of the screen. (It will not be live until the survey launches.) Your logon information is your NetID and password (the same information you use to log in to D2L). NOTE: Until your students complete the first MAP-Works survey in September, you will not have information for your class. This means there is no need to log in to MAP-Works until after September 22, 2013.
How can I use MAP-Works results with my Quest I students?
There are a few different ways you can use MAP-Works information in your course(s).
CLASS TRENDS: You can easily pull a simple report that will give you trends specific to your Quest I class. Just follow these simple instructions and screenshots.
1) Choose the “All Students” tab.
2) Click “Generate Report.”
3) Click “Export” to create a PDF. Feel free to share this with your Peer Mentor, as it contains great information about your class as a whole. To see what a Class Report might look like, please click here.
NOTE: Are you teaching multiple Quest I sections? Directions are coming soon for how to filter your MAP-Works results by class.
1) Click on the “Student Tracking” tab at the top of your screen.
2) In the “Student Tracking” screen, check the box next to the student’s name.
3) Hover over “Managed Checked” at the top of your class list. Select the drop down Action “Download Printable Report (PDF).”
4) Print! To view a sample report, please click here.
Discussing the MAP-Works Survey one-on-one with students is very simple. Keep it positive by starting with the strengths, and then discussing what they need to work on in each section.
- Use the first page as an overview. Discuss the “Did you know...” box about grade expectations.
- Ask the students to circle the top three words in the “College difficulties most students experience” to find out what’s important to them right now!
- “Earning the Grades You Want:” Discuss the checkmarks first and the “X’s” last. Review the tips at the bottom of the page.
- “Connecting with Others:” Learn about their interests and ask how they have become connected to campus. Refer them to the Peer Mentor and the tips.
- “Paying for College:” For any challenges, refer them to Financial Aid.
- “Taking Action:” Ask them to create two or three goals based on what you’ve discussed thus far. Goals should be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Appropriate, Realistic, and Timely.
- “Campus Resources:” Ask the student to circle the campus resources that they will need to utilize this semester. If you are unsure about a resource, feel free to explore the website together to learn more about it.
How to Log a Contact in MAP-Works
Logging a contact is important so that other people (hall directors, advisors, etc) know that you have met with the student. This helps to ensure that all students have had contact with someone from the University. You are vital to a successful implementation of MAP-Works. Logging a contact is quick and easy!
1) Under “All Students,” find your student’s name.
2) To the right of your student’s name, hover over the first “log” link
3) A drop down menu will appear: select the type of contact (most often, this will be “Individual In-Person Meeting”).
4) The contact is logged! Thanks!