How to review a proposal
Step by step instructions for reviewing a proposal on this site.
Student Faculty Collaborative Proposal Reviewer Instructions
- Get your proposals to review:
to the appropriate web site. Check your reviewer notice e-mail
for whether you are reviewing graduate or undergraduate proposals.
Use this link to open the undergraduate site in a new window and this link to open the graduate site in a new window.
in to the site using your campus e-mail log in. The log in link
is located near top of the white box at the right of the window.
logged you will see a list of review forms under the heading "Reviews to do" near the bottom of the white box on the right. You will probably get 3 or 4 proposals to review.
All the forms may have the same name as the names indicate which
reviewer number you were assigned for each proposal.
- Click on a
review form link to get to the actual review form and its associated
- In the middle of your window you should get box that looks something like this pciture.
Click on the proposal title in the list above the review form title (in
the example image this is "test prop 2"). This will take you to the
title page of the proposal. To review the proposal you need to
proposal file and, if it is in a separate file, the mentor support
letter (most people included the mentor support letter as the last page
of the proposal). To download the file begin by clicking on the
"Contents" tab that appears above the dark bar at the top of the
proposal title page (where you see "View", "Edit", etc. in the picture
at right). Then click on the link for the file (.pdf or .doc files)
that appears in the list to get to its download page. You can also
access the download page using the blue Navigation box to the left.
- On the download page click on the file name link that appears in the main box to download the file. We recommend that you save
a copy on your local computer so that you can come back to the proposal
later. How you do this will depend on the particular browser and
document (.pdf or .doc) reader you are using.
- Repeat steps c - g until you have downloaded all the proposals you have been asked to review.
- Log out using the "Log out" link just below the blue title bar.
- Read and review your proposals. Please note that student-faculty collaborative proposals are not double blind. However, if the authors do not include information about their identities in the proposal, you will not know who they are. All reviews are anonymous, please do not provide identification information in your comments. To aid in your review look at the review criteria. You may print them out if you wish using the link near the bottom of the page. Please note that undergraduate and graduate criteria are different. Make sure you are looking at the proper criteria.
The criteria are also included in the online form you must fill
out. You may repeatedly change your online responses until the
deadline specified in your reviewer notice e-mail.
- If you are not already logged on. Log in to your account on the undergraduate or graduate site. Both these links will open in a new window, so you can continue reading these instructions.
on a review form link to get to the actual review form and its
associated proposal. Make sure this is the proposal you think it is by
checking the title in the "Navigation" box at left. If you have the wrong proposal try a different review form link.
- To begin entering your review click on the "Edit" tab.
your rating for each of the criteria. Do not forget to scroll all
the way down to the bottom of the page, so that you do not miss
anything. Please take the time to include some written comments. Reviews without written comments will be taken less seriously by the final decision panel.
done click on the "Save" button at the bottom of the form. This
will return you to the "View" tab (see step c), but now your ratings
and comments will be visible. If you wish to change any of these
just click on the "Edit" tab. Don't forget to click the "Save"
button again to save your changes.
- You may return to this form and edit it as many times as you like until the deadline for review submission.
- Repeat steps b - g for the rest of the proposals you are reviewing.
- Log off.