Beginning in June, the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Office of Continuing Education and Extension will host several career exploration summer camps for children and young adults from the community.
“These camps are a great opportunity for participants to explore careers and academic areas on a college campus,” said Jenni Bungi-Walsh, outreach program manager for the UW Oshkosh Office of Continuing Education and Extension.
“They also provide young people the option to have fun and engage in interesting learning opportunities over the summer.”
- String Camp, June 15-20 — a one-week commuter experience offered to serious string musicians, grades 5-12, which includes instruction and opportunities to perform classical, pop, jazz, blues and fiddle music. Participants will be led by internationally renowned soloist and chamber musician Klara Fenyö Bahcall of UW Oshkosh.
- Broadway Bounce, June 16-20, at the Grand Opera House — a musical theater camp for aspiring middle and high school stage performers. This experience will enhance a student’s love, respect and appreciation for the performing arts through the study of music, dance and song. Participants will be led by UW Oshkosh lecturer Lynn Marcks.
- Choir Camp, June 22-26 for middle school students and June 22-27 for high school students — a commuter camp that will help students to refine their singing ability and learn more about music at the UW Oshkosh campus. Participants will be led by UW Oshkosh choral director Carl Chapman.
- Jazz Music Camp, June 22-28 — a commuter camp designed to deepen appreciation of jazz music through hands-on nurturing in jazz improvisation, ensemble playing, jazz history and jazz appreciation. Students will develop aural, theory and compositional skills.
- GOAL, June 23-27 — a weeklong, all-day program that is open to students who have completed grades 4, 5, 6 or 7 by June. GOAL participants are offered a variety of classes in art, astronomy, drama, engineering, health care, Japanese, mathematics, photography, radio and Web site design. Class sizes are small, personal and led by enthusiastic teachers. The director of GOAL is Chris Deluliis, assistant director of continuing education and extension at UW Oshkosh.
- Fire Science Career Exploration Camp, July 13-16 (basic level) and July 20-23 (advanced level) — a four-day camp for residents and commuters. Participants include young people, ages 15-20, who are interested in fire science as well as post cadets and fire department interns. Participants will experience off-campus field trips to the Appleton Fire Department, Fox Valley Technical College Regional Fire Training Center, Neenah/Menasha Fire Department and the Oshkosh Fire Department.
Informational brochures and scholarship information for all of the above camps can be found online at www.uwosh.edu/cont_ed/programs/summerCamps.htm.